September 29, 2024, 08:27:08 AM

Author Topic: Velvet Revolver Reunited (70% chance of BS)  (Read 39319 times)

Silvergun Batman

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Velvet Revolver Reunited (70% chance of BS)
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2012, 10:21:21 PM »
Isn't Myles scheduled to start work on the next Alter Bridge album later this year as well?
I got a picture of a photograph ...

JohnnyWuFei

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2012, 10:21:43 PM »
Duff just posted this on twitter....

"April Fools? Oh wait.... Its half-way through May. Nevermind...... #huh?"

https://twitter.com/#!/DuffMcKagan/status/202143280580919296

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2012, 10:26:27 PM »
Not to naysay or freak out or even downplay anything... but all this article says is Scott is getting with Dave and Duff to jam. And he says they'll do a "small tour". So basically all that's promised is a jam session and a few dates... which by the way Slash has denied. I don't think as STP fans we can make this any more or any less than it is. Obviously the guys have mostly patched things up and that doesn't bode that well for STP, maybe, but based on the article I wouldn't see that as the "band is reuniting" or "releasing a new album". All we know is 3 guys are jamming this weekend, and they may play a handful of shows late this year. That's it. It has potential but I don't think as STP fans we need to freak out over this news. Not yet, anyway.

I think a lot more of it is fueled by the fact that there has just ben so little communication from the STP camp other than the generic "maybe a Core tour, maybe an album after that, but right now we're resting" we've heard the past 6 months.  With the public 'failure' of self-titled album and shrinking attendance in the past few tours (went from arenas to theatres) I think it's a pretty pivotal point for STP. 

The rest + having a hopefully successful Core Anniversary tour might gain them some steam.  I know Scott said what "the plan" is right now for 'VR', but the assumption would be if they make an album they'd tour the album.  To me it'd just be a big bummer if the STP timeline was interrupted because VR is bigger than just a side-project.

Yeah, but you kind of just answered the question as to why Scott is considering VR, possibly. Let's face it, the STP comeback wasn't nearly as successful as anyone was hoping it would be, and I imagine that includes the band itself. If S/T had gone platinum, even gold, I bet this year would be extremely active for STP.

For us die hard fans, we look forward to anything STP does, but let's face it, most of the world moved on after the 90's ended. STP will be remembered as a 90's band. You throw in the fact that there seems to be be very little friendship involved with Scott and either band he works with, then I guess the only opportunities to consider are more based on money and notoriety, rather than comradery and friendship.

Don't be surprised, folks, if this is the way it is from here on out. A constant struggle to hold on to what legacy this man has left. No more big come backs. No more major time in the limelight. The best of Scott Weiland has already passed.
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

Aylin

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Whadayawannano?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2012, 10:43:54 PM »
Duff just posted this on twitter....

"April Fools? Oh wait.... Its half-way through May. Nevermind...... #huh?"

https://twitter.com/#!/DuffMcKagan/status/202143280580919296

I just saw this too...came on here to post it.

Looks like either a) Scott is trippin', or b) even if the others agreed this with Scott before speaking with Slash, Slash's reaction on the radio is gonna make Duff backtrack and deny the whole thing.

For what it's worth, I don't think Scott should go back to do anything with these guys.  Don't want it to be like "STP reunion and album didn't go as well as planned so now Scott's back with the GnR boys".   Flogging a dead horse springs to mind.  Even if the STP horse is also dead, at least it's our dead horse and the original dead horse!
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade

Humble Kidney Pie

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Hold on to something still.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2012, 11:05:57 PM »
On a side note, why is it accepted that the reunion has been unsuccessful?  I know the album sales weren't there for the new record, but that's hardly important in this day and age.  Plus, I was under the impression that their tours have been VERY financially successful.
Picked a song, sang a yellow nectarine.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2012, 11:07:55 PM »
Well luckily it looks like any chance this had of happening was pissed away by Scott opening his mouth.

imo Scott probably talked to Dave and Duff and they said let's write together/tour later this year we'll probably be able to get Slash on board.  Then Scott opens his mouth and Slash says he doesn't want to do it, so Duff is backtracking to stay in Slash's good graces.  Who knows though, all I know is Scott looks like an idiot here.  Just stick to STP Scott.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2012, 11:09:09 PM »
On a side note, why is it accepted that the reunion has been unsuccessful?  I know the album sales weren't there for the new record, but that's hardly important in this day and age.  Plus, I was under the impression that their tours have been VERY financially successful.

STP are a successful touring act, even though self-titled wasn't a big hit STP could easily come out with another hit album.  By hit I mean an album with multiple radio hits, albums rarely actually go platinum any more.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2012, 11:13:08 PM »
Was BTL a radio hit, was on the charts on a while and its was the best rock song that year IMO, shit, I think Ill crank it now

This is all messed, just give me some new music ... STP, Scott, VR in that order is good for me , but whatever
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 11:15:13 PM by wayne gretzky »

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2012, 11:19:06 PM »
Was BTL a radio hit, was on the charts on a while and its was the best rock song that year IMO, shit, I think Ill crank it now

This is all messed, just give me some new music ... STP, Scott, VR in that order is good for me , but whatever

I agree.  Between The Lines was a rock radio hit for a few months, it's not like it's still played now though.  It did hit #1.  It's a great song.  The downfall of the album not having staying power was Cinnamon failing to become a radio hit.

Humble Kidney Pie

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Hold on to something still.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2012, 11:19:37 PM »

STP are a successful touring act, even though self-titled wasn't a big hit STP could easily come out with another hit album.  By hit I mean an album with multiple radio hits, albums rarely actually go platinum any more.

Even Scott said recently, that rock acts put out albums to support tours now.  Instead of the old, tour to support your album.
Picked a song, sang a yellow nectarine.

tumbleintherough

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2012, 11:30:59 PM »
This whole thing has become confusing. until we actually see some real proof of tour dates listed, this is all just talk. obviously slash is busy, and we know STP is on the road by september for core. so i dont see how this is all going to work out at the same time.

also imo self titled did great. maybe not with record sales but BTL went to number 1. and even Robert said 'these are our best shows right now' back in 2010. so the past 2 years have been huge for STP. i just hope we hear something soon from the rest of STP to see what the hell is going on here.

Aylin

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Whadayawannano?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2012, 11:39:48 PM »

I agree that the album and tour wasn't unsuccesful.  I was just trying to make the point that if he goes back to VR, the general perception will be that he did it because the album and tour didn't live up to expectations.  I wouldn't want anyone to say that he selling out.
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2012, 11:50:05 PM »
This is interesting. I really want to hear what Duff has to say because, having read both his and Slash's books, I reckon I know which guy knows what's really going on. Maybe.

Anyway, as has been said, it's going to happen at some point. I'll take VR over a Core tour any day. Just my opinion.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2012, 12:18:34 AM »
Ok, read Duff's comment (I don't do Twitter or any social networks)...

Sounds like fishing to me, checking out the pros and cons. Do these people not talk to each other? Oh, thats right, silly me.

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2012, 12:44:50 AM »

Even Scott said recently, that rock acts put out albums to support tours now.  Instead of the old, tour to support your album.

Yeah, he did say that, but I find it partially true. It's true that album sales in general are falling, but it doesn't mean that no one sells albums anymore. When he said that originally, it sounded to me like him trying to reason with the fact that S/T didn't sell that well. My argument, is it is more of a problem with STP's current relevance in pop culture, and it is something that the band and Atlantic have decided not to care too much about.

I'm not saying this to be a hater, but anyone who thinks I'm wrong here, you may be looking at this with a very biased eye. STP will always be my favorite band, but we are talking about a nearly 10 year break from releasing any new music, and that's going to have some consequences.
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/