September 19, 2024, 11:51:51 PM

Author Topic: Shangri La Dee Da Topic  (Read 37681 times)

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
Re: Shangri La Dee Da Sales Total?
« Reply #150 on: December 01, 2008, 04:43:38 PM »
Quote from: "wickedgarden23"
Yeah STP definitely didn't belong in the Family Values Tour. I feel like they were so out of place surrounded by all that mediocre nu metal.

Agreed, 100%.  Even back then, everyone was questioning why they chose to play on that tour.  Sitting through show after show of all that shit was painful to say the least.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

bcledfoot

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 09, 2008, 02:57:48 PM »
I recently picked up this album and thought it was excellent.  It's a shame about the sales totals.  I think it's a combination of the Napster-era at that time as well as poor record label support/tour placement.

Suffer_Long

• Super Magic Robot
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 09, 2008, 03:54:56 PM »
Yeah, Days of the Week and the video for it didn't set the proper tone for SLDD's release.  I also agree that the FVT didn't help the situation.  There are too many factors to seriously speculate, but I've always wondered if things would've changed it SLDD had a hit lead single like Coma.

You know by the articles and interviews we read, in addition to any of the "documentary" footage we saw, that the boys were really together and there was a great vibe in the group while recording SLDD.  They poured everything they had into the album, and it essentially flopped (by STP's standards).  Then they were put on the FVT.  I wonder if that letdown caused some stress and tension, and eventually led to the unravelling of the band.  Maybe if they had a hit lead single, the record would have had more support and better follow up singles would have been released.  Maybe then STP would have had the leverage to do their own tour, and things would have remained positive in the group like they were recording the album.  Success can do a lot to drive people and maintain a team.

I'm not saying that's the case, but I've wondered about it.
Sin make me strong.

Yanks241

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 09, 2008, 05:37:04 PM »
Quote from: "Suffer_Long"
Yeah, Days of the Week and the video for it didn't set the proper tone for SLDD's release. I also agree that the FVT didn't help the situation. There are too many factors to seriously speculate, but I've always wondered if things would've changed it SLDD had a hit lead single like Coma.

You know by the articles and interviews we read, in addition to any of the "documentary" footage we saw, that the boys were really together and there was a great vibe in the group while recording SLDD. They poured everything they had into the album, and it essentially flopped (by STP's standards). Then they were put on the FVT. I wonder if that letdown caused some stress and tension, and eventually led to the unravelling of the band. Maybe if they had a hit lead single, the record would have had more support and better follow up singles would have been released. Maybe then STP would have had the leverage to do their own tour, and things would have remained positive in the group like they were recording the album. Success can do a lot to drive people and maintain a team.

I think you hit the nail right on the head.  Things would definetly been different had 'Coma' or 'Dumb Love' been the first single.  I also remember hearing or reading somtime after that Scott said their management at the time pushed for Days of the Week as the 1st single, when the band wanted to go with a heavier sounding song.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #154 on: December 09, 2008, 09:23:42 PM »
Quote from: "STPGurl"
Quote from: "wickedgarden23"
Yeah STP definitely didn't belong in the Family Values Tour. I feel like they were so out of place surrounded by all that mediocre nu metal.

Agreed, 100%.  Even back then, everyone was questioning why they chose to play on that tour.  Sitting through show after show of all that shit was painful to say the least.

Ugh. I hate replying to the same topics over and over again, but I feel I just have too.

Listen. STP isn't gonna parade around with grunge bands from the 90's that have clearly had their day in the sun. So, they decided to tour with more modern bands. So what? The bands that they toured with were very hot at the time (particular Staind and Linkin Park), so promoters were thinking that they could expand their audience and open the door for new fans. Plus, the bands on the tour had a great respect for the STP and felt honored to share the stage with them. Maybe it's just me, but I would rather have them toured with the modern bands instead of a few one-hit wonder 90's that no one cared about anymore.

Unless how they toured with the Chili Peppers, since they were and are still relevant.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
Re: Sldd Playlist
« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2008, 08:15:57 PM »
I realize that this topic is over four years old. (However, I have over 2000 posts, so I can do as I please  :) ) Plus, we have some new people here, so it would be interesting to get their take on it. I took Sean's playlist that he created and added it to my iTUNES library months ago. I can honestly say I've listened to this tracklisting much more then the actual SLDD album itself. What does everyone else think of this alternative track listing?

1. Transmissions from a Lonely Room
2. Hello It's Late
3. You Can't Drive Me Away
4. Too Cool Queenie
5. Heed The Water Whisperer
6. Samba Nova
7. Bi- Polar Bear
8. Wonderful
9. About a Fool
10. Learning to Drive
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2008, 08:47:10 PM »
That's a pretty sick list. I'll be honest, I don't think I'd love it as much as SLDD, but I still think it flows really nicely. Transmissions as the opener is absolutely perfect...that's my favorite song on SLDD. Learning To Drive is a pretty good closer but I think Long Way Home fits better. Also glad to see About A Fool was included too...that's my favorite track out of all the No.4/SLDD outtakes.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 22, 2008, 10:21:56 PM »
Quote from: "Jason"
If I had to redo SLDD I'd have them write more songs that sound like About A Fool, Samba Nova, Black Again and Hello It's Late.

While I love those songs, I also thought that the inclusion of many of those songs helped affect album sales. Too little emphasis was put on songs like "Coma" & "Dumb Love" (that classic STP sound) I'm not saying that you have to put out the same album over and over, but I think MORE of the soft jazzy songs would have only hurt the album more. Just my opinion.

But hey, I'm glad we got those extra tracks.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Shangri La Dee Da Topic
« Reply #158 on: February 01, 2009, 05:26:37 AM »
1. About A Fool
2. Coma
3. You Can't Drive Me Away
4. Too Cool Queenie
5. Wonderful
6. Samba Nova
7. Heed the Water Whisperer
8. Hollywood Bitch
9. Black Again
10. Regeneration
11. Bi-Polar Bear

Magical-Mystery

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2009, 03:35:42 AM »
It just needs to stay the way it is. Good album, no matter whats said.

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 08, 2009, 01:10:23 AM »
Quote from: "Magical-Mystery"
It just needs to stay the way it is. Good album, no matter whats said.

What's the fun in that? It's fun exploring other options.

Magical-Mystery

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 15, 2009, 07:43:03 AM »
lol Who says i havent explored it? lol, i most certainly have, im just saying even if u added the extra no.4 songs, or outtakes of SLDD, the best list would be the one it is. But thats just my thought, yes explore things, much knowledge to find hmmmm.  :-*

Magical-Mystery

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 15, 2009, 07:46:42 AM »
lol Who says i havent explored it? lol, i most certainly have, im just saying even if u added the extra no.4 songs, or outtakes of SLDD, the best list would be the one it is. But thats just my thought, yes explore things, much knowledge to find hmmmm.  :-*

STPeter

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 15, 2009, 09:48:59 AM »
Nah I think # 1 it should stay the way it is, true STP straight up. BUT if there was ever an alternative track list it would be the following, in m opinion..

1: Dumb Love
2: Days Of The Week
3: Coma
4: Wonderful
5: Regeneration
6: Bi-Polar Bear
7: Hello It's Late
8: Revolution (Beatles Cover)
9: A Song For Sleeping
10: Transmission From A ...
11: Anything No.4 leftover

andrewivanhayes

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.visualmediatrade.com
« Reply #164 on: July 16, 2009, 01:40:25 AM »
i cannot help but feel bad listening to SLDD... this is such an AMAZING album and they did not receive the recognition that they should have during this era (2001-2002) for producing such a masterpiece of an album...