September 21, 2024, 10:33:06 AM

Author Topic: Anyone else prefer the demo of WTRG over the Core version?  (Read 9755 times)

Alex

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else prefer the demo of WTRG over the Core version?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 09:45:54 AM »
In my opinion, "Core" is recorded and produced much better than "Ten" Pearl Jam, comparing two of them.
"Core" just sounds more modern to our days, even timeless.
Like "Nevermind" of Nirvana.
The drums on "Core" are fat and bright, the guitars are really massive, the vocals are strong.
Comparing to "Nevermind", "Core" sounds more tough, more dry, it lacks some pleasant wet feeling, softness, and dimensional feeling. But it's not even a problem.

"Core" has very heavy, metallic sound.
It sounds more sharp, clear and precise than "Ten", do you agree?

Talking about "WTRG", sometimes I listen to "Core" version and now I like it in other way, but I have to admit, it's a bit overproduced and feels synthetical, especially the chorus.
The vocals throughout the song are dry, not enough powerful.
The speed of this version provides feeling of slow, endless river, but, on the other hand, has lost some power of the song.
I think there's a lack of back vocals on "Core" version.
On MJY the vocals together sound richer, brighter, more emotional and sincere.

I don't like the violin (or what it is it?) in the end of the "Core" version, it sounds unnatural, shrilly, excessively.
The violin on "WTRG" is the only thing on the whole "Core", which sounds outdated, things don't sound this way nowadays.
Everything else is quite OK with "Core", the album is timeless, even after 24 years.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:59:43 AM by Alex »

KingofHarts

• Flight Attendant
  • face across the floor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 01:07:22 PM »

I don't like the violin (or what it is it?) in the end of the "Core" version, it sounds unnatural, shrilly, excessively.

Isn't it a guitar?

Alex

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 01:43:06 PM »
I'm sorry, I've no idea what is it, I thought it is a synth violin.

nat

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 10:38:45 PM »
In my opinion, "Core" is recorded and produced much better than "Ten" Pearl Jam, comparing two of them.
"Core" just sounds more modern to our days, even timeless.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with that. Assuming I'm unfamiliar with STP in general, if you were to play me Core and ask when I think the album was released based on the production style, I would immediately pin it in that 1988-1992 timeframe. Nothing released since then sounds like that, and certainly nothing modern that I'm aware of.

If you were to play me any of STP's other albums and asked me that same question, I would not be able to answer (again, assuming I'm unfamiliar with STP).

Like "Nevermind" of Nirvana.
The drums on "Core" are fat and bright, the guitars are really massive, the vocals are strong.
Comparing to "Nevermind", "Core" sounds more tough, more dry, it lacks some pleasant wet feeling, softness, and dimensional feeling. But it's not even a problem.

"Core" has very heavy, metallic sound.
It sounds more sharp, clear and precise than "Ten", do you agree?

Perhaps, I'd have to compare them side by side, but any differences are greatly outweighed by the similarities.

Again, I'm not saying the production is technically "bad" or "wrong," it's just terribly dated. If you like that production style, that's cool. It's still dated. :)

Hr308

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 11:15:03 PM »

This will crack ya nuts off. I have never really took the time to delve into MJY, but after listening i didn't realize all the funk, ska style they had. I think that for the true fans out there, they should do a tour that consistes of two sets which include both styles . Robert plays his ass off on bass like there is not tommorrow, hell Bootsy would be proud of that shit. So there ya go, i have a lot of catching up to do, because I never listened to any if their material before " Core", but i do like the facr they are super multi-talented, but will have to admit they would have been crushed at that time because RHCP and Sublime and many others were really crafting that shit. Smart move on their part.

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2016, 02:38:30 PM »

This will crack ya nuts off. I have never really took the time to delve into MJY, but after listening i didn't realize all the funk, ska style they had. I think that for the true fans out there, they should do a tour that consistes of two sets which include both styles . Robert plays his ass off on bass like there is not tommorrow, hell Bootsy would be proud of that shit. So there ya go, i have a lot of catching up to do, because I never listened to any if their material before " Core", but i do like the facr they are super multi-talented, but will have to admit they would have been crushed at that time because RHCP and Sublime and many others were really crafting that shit. Smart move on their part.

What the hell are you blathering about?
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2016, 03:55:51 PM »
Fuck me no, STP's funk phase is best left as history, thanks.

There's a reason why RHCP don't play True Men Don't Kill Coyotes anymore, it's because that entire style of music sucks 80s donkey balls.

DrLymphNode

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2016, 05:21:10 PM »

What the hell are you blathering about?

It was really quite clear

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 05:38:11 PM »

There's a reason why RHCP don't play True Men Don't Kill Coyotes anymore, it's because that entire style of music sucks 80s donkey balls.

I may be arguing semantics but the funk phase on the MJY demo was the stuff they recorded with the band Swing (before MJY).  Basically STP with a different guitarist.

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2016, 06:51:42 PM »
Other than some knobs on a board, there really is no difference, you know.  If that’s just a demo and even if it were a live version recording, either way, I can see this being the song that put them on a label.  Pretty amazing if it was just played on a recorder. 

A song demo like this out there proves to me how they were never supposed to be grouped in that whole grunge movement.  They really had a talent that is obvious hard to replace.  Unfortunately as much as Scott stated music is his life, w/ him it was first drugs, second chicks, then music.  If it were music, music and music, he would still be this guy we are hearing and he’d still be w/ us.

I have to agree though, someone stated that the demo showed more power in emotion, def more soulful.  He’s the guy to beat and it shows cuz look how many try.

8) :-* :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

TooCoolQueenie

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2016, 08:57:19 PM »
Other than some knobs on a board, there really is no difference, you know.  If that’s just a demo and even if it were a live version recording, either way, I can see this being the song that put them on a label.  Pretty amazing if it was just played on a recorder. 

A song demo like this out there proves to me how they were never supposed to be grouped in that whole grunge movement.  They really had a talent that is obvious hard to replace.  Unfortunately as much as Scott stated music is his life, w/ him it was first drugs, second chicks, then music.  If it were music, music and music, he would still be this guy we are hearing and he’d still be w/ us.

I have to agree though, someone stated that the demo showed more power in emotion, def more soulful.  He’s the guy to beat and it shows cuz look how many try.

I too think the demo showed a bit more emotion whereas the "Core" version sounds a bit more stripped down.

It's interesting you bring up the drugs, ladies, etc. In Mary's book, I could be wrong on this quote, but she asked Scott had he not rode his bike to see that band play in the backyard would he have still done drugs. He said probably not or something. So it makes me wonder if rock influenced his love of drugs, or if drugs influenced his love of rock.

Alex

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2016, 12:52:51 PM »

Gold words!!

nat

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2016, 08:56:38 PM »

That's an extremely subjective (and slightly close minded and moronic) statement you've made there, and 100% opinion.

Either way, I agree that STP made the right choice in playing to their strengths (which was surely not funk), and ditched that sound.

RHCP, on the other hand, made a career out of that type of music thanks to the musical brilliance of Flea and Hillel Slovak.

Hr308

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2016, 09:06:11 PM »

Yeah, RHCP with Slovak was awesome, but i think Frusciante has and always will be their knight in shining armor. I really love what he brought to their game, especially live. He had a Hendrix type soul about him.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2016, 10:35:20 AM »
That's an extremely subjective (and slightly close minded and moronic) statement you've made there, and 100% opinion.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware I needed to preface every statement with "in my opinion" for it to be apparent I am not stating an objective fact.

Anyway, I'm not dissing RHCPs style, but I do not agree that the sound that made them famous was that sound, they had morphed it into something much more sophisticated by the time they became listenable, and they play very little of that era material now. And thank fuck for that.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 10:41:29 AM by Pingfah »