October 01, 2024, 12:33:56 PM

Author Topic: Finally found a live revival of Scott's 'Core' voice  (Read 7227 times)

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Finally found a live revival of Scott's 'Core' voice
« on: January 26, 2012, 07:07:30 PM »
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 08:18:01 PM by Flyingmerpa »

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Finally found a live revival of Scott's 'Core' voice
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 07:11:36 PM »
He does sound very good here and a lot better than he does now.  On a personal level though I always preferred his voice during the Tiny Music/12BB era the absolute best

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 07:14:45 PM »
I love the Core/Purple voice, haha. I think he sounded like this on some House of Blues 99 videos, but this is great! Thanks!

emerick55

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 07:27:28 PM »
Good find, this is a great performance, thank you!

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 07:30:16 PM »
This isn't that "rare" as the video's owner claims.  This "live" version appeared on the Family Values Tour compilation album for 2001, meaning that this was performed in 2001, not 2002.  Vasoline was on this, "Creep" with Aaron Lewis (a good version) and an "acoustic" version of "Wonderful" with Chester Bennington of Linkin Park.

The vocals on this version are likely heavily doctored.  STP doesn't really pump in stuff live as far as I know, but on this, Scott's album "Burn burn burn burn burn" backup vocals are behind his lead vocals during the chorus.

Also, the "You sing!" part is the same vocal cut and pasted and put in again.

http://www.amazon.com/Family-Values-Tour-Various-Artists/dp/B000063UZ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327602846&sr=8-1 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 07:35:04 PM by lovemachine97 »

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 07:30:48 PM »
As a personal disclaimer, I do love the other voices too, with the exception of the newest record, which I find slightly annoying to listen to.  This performance brought back hope however, regardless it is 10 years old.

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 07:31:54 PM »
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 08:17:44 PM by Flyingmerpa »

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 07:38:59 PM »
This isn't that "rare" as the video's owner claims.  This "live" version appeared on the Family Values Tour compilation album for 2001, meaning that this was performed in 2001, not 2002.  Vasoline was on this, "Creep" with Aaron Lewis (a good version) and an "acoustic" version of "Wonderful" with Chester Bennington of Linkin Park.

The vocals on this version are likely heavily doctored.  STP doesn't really pump in stuff live as far as I know, but on this, Scott's album "Burn burn burn burn burn" backup vocals are behind his lead vocals during the chorus.

Also, the "You sing!" part is the same vocal cut and pasted and put in again.

Well shit, maybe his voice is completely fucked up.

Scott can still sing well, but when he sounded the best he was either A) young or B) sober and healthy.

He isn't taking care of his voice.  Chris Cornell stopped drinking and smoking and his voice made an incredible recovery.  The difference between now and the first two Audioslave tours in astounding.  Difference?  Taking care of his most valuable tool.

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 07:50:29 PM »
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 08:17:35 PM by Flyingmerpa »

tumbleintherough

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 01:15:30 AM »
Weiland is the man of many voices he changes his voice and uses it as an instrument. Why should he sing every song in the core tone than it would be just boring. I love that he sings in all differnt tones u should take a listen to the pro shot concert in chicago 2010 he sounds amazing there! each stp album is very creative and differnt and a big part of that is cause he changes his voice and tries new things. In that pro shot concert he totally uses the core tone for the core songs with the low growl at least i think anyway.

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 01:50:59 AM »
Smoking doesnt actually affect your voice that much, even if youve been doing it for years.
What it affects is your LUNGS which are responsible of most of what singing is about.

I dont know if Scott makes any kind of excercise before/after singing, but as a former classic singing student, i can tell you that no matter how fucked up your voice can be. You can smoke 20 cigarrettes and drink half a bottle of any liquour.. AND HAVE A FLU.
But with the proper vocal warming, you can still perform amazingly.
Seems like you left me when you broke down

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 02:21:12 AM »
Smoking doesnt actually affect your voice that much, even if youve been doing it for years.
What it affects is your LUNGS which are responsible of most of what singing is about.

I dont know if Scott makes any kind of excercise before/after singing, but as a former classic singing student, i can tell you that no matter how fucked up your voice can be. You can smoke 20 cigarrettes and drink half a bottle of any liquour.. AND HAVE A FLU.
But with the proper vocal warming, you can still perform amazingly.

I am currently studying classical singing...and I have to disagree on that...smoking is always a "no no" when it comes to singing, mostly because of your lungs, like you said, but also your vocal chords, it gives a "raspier" sound and makes you lose high notes on the long run. And alcohol dries the chords up, and of course if you get "cheerful" you might also lose control of your breathing, so it's never a good idea to drink before singing.

I agree with the flu though, with proper training you can sing perfectly and not be able to speak from the flu, and things like that...

Of course it can be done, but you would achieve much better results without any cigarettes or alcohol...also physical exercise helps (which Scott did a lot of before but seems to have abandoned now, although that is pure speculation on my part).

From what someones who went to the Christmas concerts said (I don't remember who), Scott does indeed warm up (they said they could hear him do it while waiting), and he also said himself that he does about 45 minutes of vocal exercises when he has shows (he should be doing that every single day of his life so as not to lose anything but I have no idea if he does it or not).

The thing is that he had problems in his vocal chords, probably from straining them too much, maybe from the constant touring, or improper technique, who knows...but if he indeed has scaring in his chords like the medical report said (it actually said "likely" but did not confirm), well that's definitely not good, that also makes you lose some of your higher range, from what I've read.

Sorry about the long post, but I'm really passionate about singing and the voice ;)
"I am trampled under sole of another man's shoes...Guess I walked too softly"

robrhre

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Grab the hate and drown it out
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 02:40:09 AM »
Scott does not need his "Core voice" he just needs to get his voice rested and it is good enough for me.
MM 3/10/09 STP 10/6/09 EC 6/19/10 SP7/16/10
STP 10/19/10 3EB 5/11/11 B182 8/12/11
Godsmack 8/16/11 Incubus 9/17/11
Foo's 11/8/11 Bush 12/2/11 JA 3/10/12 Bush 8/1/12
3DG 10/27/12 SW 11/29/12 SW 3/11/13 SW 8-20-13 Pepper 9/14/13 CTE 10/25/13 AM! 1/15/14 Weezer 4/1/14

Silvergun Batman

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 03:51:23 AM »
talk about weird coincidence ... just today I mentioned to a buddy (a fellow STP fanatic) that I wonder if Scott would try to (re)train his voice or perhaps take some vocal coaching to get his voice somewhat back to Core strength for the 20th anniversary tour ...
I got a picture of a photograph ...

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 04:02:37 AM »

The funny thing is, this is the ONLY instance I have found.  Even watching performances of the same song before and after this performance are not the same.
Am I the only one who deeply misses that voice timbre?

On Contraband, in 2004, Scott seemed to have the "Core voice" on the track, "Headspace".  Kick-ass tune!
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94