September 21, 2024, 08:40:27 AM

Author Topic: "Core 20th Anniversary" topic  (Read 32486 times)

Tuf_Duff In Chains

• Sky Captain
  • THE Man in The Box
    • View Profile
Re: "Core 20th Anniversary" topic
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 04:05:32 AM »
i agree with stpunderground im all about the new album rather than just hearing core. Of course id love to get a dvd of all that footage and other cool stuff but for me its always about the new albums with stp they never let me down. I hope they keep making great differnt music. Im hooked on self titled still lol im excited to see what this new album is gonna branch into is it rock? or Pop? or could it be some Bossa nova mixed in there to? i cant wait please let there be a new album this year!

Exactly this tour is just pushing the release of #7 further back... I really hope this tour is a quick one. I seriously doubt it's going to excite the general public anyways and the true fans know that they've been playing around half of Core every show for the last 20 years. To me just sounds like STP being lazy again. The only upside to this I see is getting some vintage Core era footage.
I agree

They have been playing alot of Core and Purple over the last 3 years so it's really not as exciting

and Yes Im excited about the Goodies that come with the 20th anniversary of Core

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2012, 04:12:41 AM »
i agree with stpunderground im all about the new album rather than just hearing core. Of course id love to get a dvd of all that footage and other cool stuff but for me its always about the new albums with stp they never let me down. I hope they keep making great differnt music. Im hooked on self titled still lol im excited to see what this new album is gonna branch into is it rock? or Pop? or could it be some Bossa nova mixed in there to? i cant wait please let there be a new album this year!

Exactly this tour is just pushing the release of #7 further back... I really hope this tour is a quick one. I seriously doubt it's going to excite the general public anyways and the true fans know that they've been playing around half of Core every show for the last 20 years. To me just sounds like STP being lazy again. The only upside to this I see is getting some vintage Core era footage.

Yeah I'm hoping that this will be a 20 show tour, give or take a few.  If it takes about a month to a month and a half it shouldn't push back things too much.  If they try to tour for 3 months though then it will push back the new album significantly and likely burn the band out.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

MyFavoriteCagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'll breathe your life, Vick's Vapor life
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 04:30:59 AM »

Maybe a 20th Anniversary is exactly the purrogative Atlantic needs to get their heads out of their asses and do some real marketing though. I thing theres enough potential to extract some good out of this. gotta stay positive~
You'll never lose it cuz you never had it

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2012, 12:50:04 AM »
Posted on January 6 on StoneTemplePilots.com:

Stone Temple Pilots' seminal debut, Core, sold eight million copies and spawned the radio hits "Sex Type thing", "Plush" and "Creep". Join us this year as we proudly celebrate the 20th anniversary of its release.

Stay tuned for upcoming tour dates!

I don't know, I'd be super bummed if they spent a whole tour just playing Core. It's a great album, I won't lie. It's the first album I ever got where I liked every song front to back (which has been my experience with all STP records), but it just seems kinda... like STP saying "Yeah, we give up."

How would STP playing Core from front to back be a sign of giving up? It's a celebration of Core, despite how stale the songs may be now. I'd love a new album as much as anybody, but it's foolish to think that the band should be decking out the set list with new songs during a celebration of the first album. Be patient. We'll have new STP eventually, but we'll be lucky if the celebration of Core actually happens, too.

Man, I feel like it's them giving up because this isn't something bands typically do. RHCP had a chance last year to have a 20th anniversary of Blood Sugar Sex Magik, but they made a new album instead. Like many of you have said, STP has been playing a Core/Purple heavy set for the last couple of years anyway.

Be patient? Patience is great, but so is a new album. I feel if I wait long enough, they'll just break up again...
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2012, 01:41:25 AM »
Hearing Core cover to cover doesn't get me all that excited.  Unless it was super intimate or acoustic. 

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2012, 07:37:12 AM »
So, are they just doing a Core tour, or are we getting a remaster, too?

I guess nothing is official.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2012, 06:57:19 PM »
Those setlists are very wishful thinking .

I can see just all of CORE played with a handful of there other hits,  a few from Purple, maybe a couple from Tiny and one from No.4, theyll most likely skip Shangri, and one off the s/t disc.

Looking forward to this happening but Im just wary of how the songs will come out due to Scotts vocals, his voice has chaged so much since then
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2012, 07:20:41 PM »

Looking forward to this happening but Im just wary of how the songs will come out due to Scotts vocals, his voice has chaged so much since then

Considering that they have been playing about half or more of Core since 2008, the songs will sound like they have been sounding for the past 3 years...I'm hoping for a bit better even, considering that Scott will probably get a long rest, something he hasn't had in a veeeeery long time.
"I am trampled under sole of another man's shoes...Guess I walked too softly"

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2012, 07:12:50 PM »
If they're going the whole nostalgia tour route, I'd much prefer something like Tiny Music front to back, or Shangri La Dee Da front to back, but I imagine this move is strictly taking the 20 year anniversary of their most popular album and exploiting it for money. Whatever, smart move on their part I guess, but it isn't exactly for their hardcore fans.

When I saw them in 2008, and then again in 2010, I stood front and center both times and both times there was no interaction with the crowd at all. I was hoping for a high five at the very least... if there was a couple of things I'd demand for this next tour (to get me to even go), it would be to have a small scale acoustic set, and to feature guest musicians, and for the band to have a meet and greet for once, for God's sake.

That's the problem, though. This will only ever be wishful thinking. If there's anything this band is good at, it's keeping it's distance from the people that spend so much money on them. Quite honestly, after seeing them in 2010 I told myself to not even bother with another STP show.
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2012, 07:27:24 PM »
All I want is the unreleased footage. That's it.

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2012, 08:30:27 PM »

Yeah man, I'd be pretty happy with that too. Any chance of them releasing Only Dying would rock my world.

RangerJim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • My band website:
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2012, 08:49:34 PM »

I'd prefer a new album.  They better make this a short tour...
Sophisticated yet different, without making a fuss about it.

Tuf_Duff In Chains

• Sky Captain
  • THE Man in The Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2012, 09:17:10 PM »

I agree

Hopefully When they Do tour and Update the Setlist Hopefully make it longer and They Will Still play some from S/T  I liked Self Titled Personally and Do not want to see it Ignored

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2012, 10:02:45 PM »

I'm with you on that.

A Core tour is likely going to delay a new album hitting shelves. I love the direction this band keeps going. Something about their "newest" stuff always ends up being my favorite to listen to.

Silvergun Batman

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2012, 04:01:39 AM »
in honor of the 20th anniversary tour, there should be a "Win a bass lesson with Rob" contest ... and I should win.
I got a picture of a photograph ...