September 21, 2024, 08:48:02 AM

Author Topic: "Core 20th Anniversary" topic  (Read 32494 times)

Silver guns and Candybars

Re: "Core 20th Anniversary" topic
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 03:54:50 AM »
I think we might be able to get both...at least that was what Scott said both times they asked him about it.

When did he say that?
I must have missed that.
If we get both then that would be fantastic.
Weiland with 2 albums in 11' and 2 STP albums in 12?
Although of course one is just an anny cd, but still we're getting good shit.
Remasters, bonus footage, etc.
I am digging the work ethic here!

MyFavoriteCagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'll breathe your life, Vick's Vapor life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 03:57:31 AM »
I was only a wee lad when of 8 in 2002, and I'm not sure how much relevance this pertains in this thread, but did the boys do anything special for the 10th Anniversary?
You'll never lose it cuz you never had it

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 04:06:51 AM »
Scott said on the Good Day New York interview, when they asked him about the Core anniversary and the plans for next year: "well, we're doing a lot of special things, there's a lot of archival footage that we're putting together, coffe table book...there will be, hopefully a brand new album...there's so many ideas, a box-set, and a tour, of course".

Here: http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/scott-weiland-good-day-ny-20111223

And I also remember there was an interview in November about his Christmas record where he said that the guys would start working (or had already started, my memory fails me here) on the new album, that they usually start without him and then send him some stuff and when he gets that and sees the kind of album it will be it should go full speed ahead...maybe someone else remembers the details, or which interview this was...

Also Eric talked about a new album for this year...there's a topic about it here ;)

So I think we can safely assume that they will at least start working on a new album this year  ;D

About the tour though...what do you all think, will it be a small tour? I seem to recall Dean said something about smaller venues...I just hope that they will drag themselves down to South America again!

EDIT: Here it was...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/stone-temple-pilots-guitarist-dean-deleo-talks-core-reissue-club-tour-20111202
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 04:12:36 AM by Manxita »
"I am trampled under sole of another man's shoes...Guess I walked too softly"

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 04:10:18 AM »
I was only a wee lad when of 8 in 2002, and I'm not sure how much relevance this pertains in this thread, but did the boys do anything special for the 10th Anniversary?

During that year they were touring for SLDD and were working on a sixth album that was supposed to return to their Core sound due to be released in 2003.  But that year was hectic anyway, Scott and Dean fought, they broke up, and the rest is history.
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 07:31:03 AM »
Haven't they bee playing most of Core the past few tours anyways?  Acoustic would be cool.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 08:32:17 AM »
Glad to see this really is in the works and like practically everyone else here, I really hope they save this for the summer and let Scott take a break. As for them performing Core in its entirety, as much as I have heard those songs, they have never really gotten old to me and while I will admit that Core is definitely not STP's most creative album, it remains my favorite simply because in my opinion it's the best hard rock album ever made.

It'll definitely be a cool experience to see the whole album played in its entirety and hopefully every night's setlist is not just the 12 tracks from Core and they'll throw some other stuff in there. For what it's worth, and I know tons of people here hate Creed, they're doing a similar tour this year playing their albums My Own Prison and Human Clay in their entirety and I know they've also made a point to advertise that they'll be doing songs from other albums too...hopefully STP does the same thing.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

robrhre

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Grab the hate and drown it out
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 02:55:34 PM »
It will probably be like Weezer's "Blue/Pinkerton tour. They played those albums in their entirety, then went to break and played some of their greatest hits.
MM 3/10/09 STP 10/6/09 EC 6/19/10 SP7/16/10
STP 10/19/10 3EB 5/11/11 B182 8/12/11
Godsmack 8/16/11 Incubus 9/17/11
Foo's 11/8/11 Bush 12/2/11 JA 3/10/12 Bush 8/1/12
3DG 10/27/12 SW 11/29/12 SW 3/11/13 SW 8-20-13 Pepper 9/14/13 CTE 10/25/13 AM! 1/15/14 Weezer 4/1/14

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 03:04:49 PM »
It will probably be like Weezer's "Blue/Pinkerton tour. They played those albums in their entirety, then went to break and played some of their greatest hits.

"What I'd like to see happen is the band go out and do more intimate    shows – really lovely theaters around the country," DeLeo tells Rolling Stone. "Smaller shows, doing the first album in its entirety, and then maybe take requests."

So I'm thinking you're right...I'm doubtful about the "requests" part, maybe they could do some kind of online poll before the shows? Or simply, like you said, do some "hits"...

"I am trampled under sole of another man's shoes...Guess I walked too softly"

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 05:16:06 PM »
maybe they could do some kind of online poll before the shows?

Been there, done that (a few years ago with the pick your setlist thing on STP.com) And it didn't affect the set-lists.
Though, it's still an idea worth considering, if they implement it correctly.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Tuf_Duff In Chains

• Sky Captain
  • THE Man in The Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 09:29:27 PM »
I passed this to Eric when I pitched the CORE 20 tour last August - but who knows what they'll go with...

Not gonna Lie I love both of those setlists

I wouldn't be surprised if they Just did shows and played every song off core only in the order that they are in but let's see what happens

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 10:57:33 PM »
Core is a great album and all, and it's where things started for me and probably most other fans alike, but I'm more into what the band creates right now... With that said I really hope playing Core at live shows doesn't push all their newer stuff off set lists.

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 02:54:39 AM »
Posted on January 6 on StoneTemplePilots.com:

Stone Temple Pilots' seminal debut, Core, sold eight million copies and spawned the radio hits "Sex Type thing", "Plush" and "Creep". Join us this year as we proudly celebrate the 20th anniversary of its release.

Stay tuned for upcoming tour dates!

I don't know, I'd be super bummed if they spent a whole tour just playing Core. It's a great album, I won't lie. It's the first album I ever got where I liked every song front to back (which has been my experience with all STP records), but it just seems kinda... like STP saying "Yeah, we give up."

I agree with the summer tour thing, though. The band has been touring straight for a few years now. Scott has been touring since... 2007, almost straight. Let the band rest. Let them write. Get Branden O'Brien in there and make a rock solid album.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 03:00:19 AM by MrKerosene »
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 03:08:23 AM »

Stone Temple Pilots' seminal debut, Core, sold eight million copies and spawned the radio hits "Sex Type thing", "Plush" and "Creep". Join us this year as we proudly celebrate the 20th anniversary of its release.

I don't know, I'd be super bummed if they spent a whole tour just playing Core. It's a great album, I won't lie. It's the first album I ever got where I liked every song front to back (which has been my experience with all STP records), but it just seems kinda... like STP saying "Yeah, we give up."

How would STP playing Core from front to back be a sign of giving up? It's a celebration of Core, despite how stale the songs may be now. I'd love a new album as much as anybody, but it's foolish to think that the band should be decking out the set list with new songs during a celebration of the first album. Be patient. We'll have new STP eventually, but we'll be lucky if the celebration of Core actually happens, too.

MyFavoriteCagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'll breathe your life, Vick's Vapor life
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2012, 03:14:52 AM »

I agree with the summer tour thing, though. The band has been touring straight for a few years now. Scott has been touring since... 2007, almost straight. Let the band rest. Let them write. Get Branden O'Brien in there and make a rock solid album.

His name is Brenden O'Brien. And I do agree that he needs to get in there. I loved the pop-like production of S/T, but he reallyyy worked the magic on the previous records.
You'll never lose it cuz you never had it

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2012, 03:56:12 AM »
i agree with stpunderground im all about the new album rather than just hearing core. Of course id love to get a dvd of all that footage and other cool stuff but for me its always about the new albums with stp they never let me down. I hope they keep making great differnt music. Im hooked on self titled still lol im excited to see what this new album is gonna branch into is it rock? or Pop? or could it be some Bossa nova mixed in there to? i cant wait please let there be a new album this year!

Exactly this tour is just pushing the release of #7 further back... I really hope this tour is a quick one. I seriously doubt it's going to excite the general public anyways and the true fans know that they've been playing around half of Core every show for the last 20 years. To me just sounds like STP being lazy again. The only upside to this I see is getting some vintage Core era footage.
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides