October 03, 2024, 01:24:05 PM

Author Topic: Scott Weiland Performing "It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year  (Read 6568 times)

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Weiland Performing "It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 06:02:27 AM »
He doesn't have great phrasing nowadays, and it's especially apparent with this type of music.  Scott really DOES have a great voice, but age will always come get you.  So will smoking.  See: Chris Robinson

But alcohol and drug abuse will also cause problems.

I'll probably have to go back and compare, but this version of Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas is actually better pitch-wise than the Leno version, but his voice was stronger back then.  In that performance, he was also better at transitioning to full voice.

Listen to the HUGE difference in the vibrato in the Leno performance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fpxmDAOePQ).  Back then he had a nice, narrow vibrato.  Now I think he uses it to mask a weaker voice.

Tom82

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 11:29:50 AM »

I think the performed versions are alright. the leno version has more "christmas feeling" and melancholy,vibratio in it, but this version isn't bad either..  one user put it exactly ...the keyboards gave it the ray manzarek-doors feeling, i liked the alternate take on "vaseline",

and scott has mentioned in the last 2-3 years that the demon alcohol is hunting him, on the "howand stern on  demand" appearance on  i think  mid may this year he mentioned that his next goal is to kick booze.

from my personal experience this goes back on forward . alcohol, benzos (ativan, clonazepam,xanax) , codeine .... that are tricky substances . but you can kick them.

and i think he can kick booze too, he has kicked so many other ones.

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 04:28:52 PM »
Vibrato is not something you control, it just happens because of the air and technique...it's actually quite hard to "fake" it, so I honestly think that he changed his singing technique for a healthier one, more similar to classical singing (which is supposed to be the healthiest one of all for your vocal chords).

His belting is weird, like I said before, and I think that he has been having problems with his vocal chords for some time now, and when you feel uncomfortable, you start doing weird things to "mask" it, or to not feel pain, and that makes you change the way you sing, usually taking up some bad habits...and those are hard to change back, it can be done but he would need to work with a professional to do it. That happened to me last year...I had a problem in my vocal chords and I had to learn how to speak properly again, it took me 4 months to get my voice as it was before.

Of course drug abuse, alcohol, cigarettes will damage your voice, but I don't think that's the case here. Maybe he could have lost some high notes because of that, but I think this has more to do with exhaustion and bad phoning more than anything else.

Sorry about the long post, I sound like a school teacher here, but singing and the voice is something I'm passionate about, as you can see...xD
"I am trampled under sole of another man's shoes...Guess I walked too softly"

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 06:02:46 PM »
It just happened all of a sudden.  What he's doing he can control.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 01:05:05 AM »
The "good" version sounds great...I'm really impressed
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

pjstp

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 01:11:30 AM »
I agree, he sounds excellent. I hope some vids surface from tonight's show. I'm interested to see the setlist, especially if it has Wonderful.
STP: 2/19/2011 - Thackerville, OK; 4/30/2011 - Birmingham, AL; 8/16/2011 - Austin, TX; 8/17/2011 - Dallas, TX; 11/5/2011 - Concho, OK
SW: 3/27/2013 - Dallas, TX; 4/30/2014 - Dallas, TX; 5/3/2014 - Little Rock, AR; 9/20/2014 - Shreveport, LA; 11/9/2015 - Dallas, TX

hawk900

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 01:22:17 AM »
 WOW 1920 by 1080 now that's high def....................pullin it from youtubes cache right now.
hawk.

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 04:47:11 AM »
The music in Vasoline is fantastic! He sounds great in all the songs, obviously Wonderful was not rehearsed at all... he should try it again, *pretty please, Scott*
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"