October 02, 2024, 10:30:39 PM

Author Topic: "Winter Wonderland" Video  (Read 19988 times)

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: "Winter Wonderland" Video
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2011, 09:56:08 PM »
Well clearly this album and video aren't making us all jolly with holiday spirit just yet....I've only listened once, I'm just not ready for this yet.  Post a big belly full of mashed potatoes & turkey next week, is go time!!
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2011, 11:30:12 PM »
Guys, ever think that maybe I was just playing-up the whole Weiland fanboy thing to get a reaction out of some of you?   It's not like I don't know that some of you hate it when ppl blindly defend Scott.   Also, Vaporized, I only watched the Winter Wonderland video once...YOU HAVE WATCHED IT MORE THAN ME!!!!   :P   

Personally, there are some songs I like on the Christmas album...and I also liked Scott's last solo album... so right there we already have a difference of opinion.  I even thought Scott's book had some interesting stuff in it.  This hardly makes me a blind fanboy.  I just made a point to react and be negative towards the same people who were trashing Scott AND GOING OUT OF THEIR WAY TO DO IT IN EVERY THREAD.    I also don't go out of my way to listen to Christmas music, so I'm not trying to compare it to the holy grail of Christmas singers or whatever.  It Scott wasn't singing it I wouldn't have bought it. 

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2011, 12:43:42 AM »
You have to be blind to not see that the video is supposed to be a parody of a 50's Christmas. The VIDEO is supposed to be fun and cheesy. So, yes, I do think he's saying 'hey, it's supposed to be funny' in that regard. It's not like he'd ever do anything like this with STP.
+1

...I also don't think Scott looks that drastically different like he did something to his face or something
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 12:50:25 AM by wickedgarden23 »
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2011, 02:28:02 PM »
Director: Bryan Carberry
Director of Photography: Joel David Stout
Producer: Michael Klein

Quote by Joel David Stout:
Doing a reshoot this week to adapt it into a commercial to be aired in Times Square. Good times!!
http://www.joeldavidstout.com/blog/

As someone told me, it's not the only Scott Weiland Christmas video filmed by the same director. We'll see.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 02:32:08 PM by Tyrant »
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

RailBrews

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2011, 03:46:20 PM »
Huh, very campy video.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2011, 05:22:34 PM »
the fact that this thread has turned into a bashfest proves, at the very least, that this video is controversial :)

It's cheesy as hell. I think we can all agree with that. While that was the point, that doesn't mean I have to like the accurate representation of what they were going for. It's just too over the top and like someone said: Scott is not Weird Al. He's a serious artist that writes original music for rock bands. I realize it's unfair/ridiculous to expect him to always release the same album and/or not take a big risk/departure from his comfort zone. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I admire that Scott tried to do this. It's just not good though. Compare this to Michael Bolton/Michael Buble etc... it's just nowhere near as good, and there's a reason I hate those guys. So that's just my opinion and I am glad that many of you like the album/video. If Scott brings joy to you, that was the whole point, so that's awesome. I just can't take this seriously, and while I know I'm not maybe entirely supposed to, I like to take Scott Weiland seriously. His track record commands it. So this departure was a valiant risk but one that backfired for me.

I like Chris Cornell too. That doesn't mean his Timbaland album should be appreciated. That was a horror of an effort. Again, a big risk he decided to take, but one that exploded in his face. I sadly think this is an embarrassment to Scott's legacy.

The best part of this album is the music.  He's always been different, and he has always been a chameleon, so this type of release isn't unexpected.  I am just disappointed that I don't like it more.

And to show you how much I don't like it (save a few tracks, and even those have difficult moments), I actually like Cornell's Scream album.  I know some of you will use that as something to say "your taste sucks," but hey, I know a lot of music snobs that like Scream as a guilty pleasure.

Like the album, this video is not something I can play with pride for my non-fan friends.  I can anticipate the response:  “Wow, so this is Scott Weiland?  The guy you travel around the country to see?”  Um, no.  This is not that guy.

Some of us like this.  Some of us don't.  But we're all very passionate about Scott.  And I think that's a good thing.     :)

I just finished my student teaching and am back at work at my job that pays--a music store selling instruments.  We get to choose the store's "soundtrack" by trading off putting our iPods through the PA.  From Black Friday to Christmas Eve, the only rule is it must be Christmas music.  We listen to traditional stuff, jazzy stuff, and even rock stuff.  This is something I hoped to add to my playlist, but I'm not.

I work with some fantastic musicians, including the owner, who actually likes STP for their skill and songwriting, even though he listens and plays exclusively classical music and big band jazz.  But he plays upright bass, and intonation is extremely important in a fretless stringed instrument like that.  If vocals are off, he'll comment on them.

Last year, I played "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas".  In my excitement for this release, I hadn't really actively listened to it.  But even on that track--one of the better off of the album--Scott doesn't hit all of the notes, and it causes you to cringe.  Most of this album is actually worse. 

Because of the quality of the vocals on this CD, I won't be able to play it at work, and I don't think I would want to.  It would be embarrassing to say "yeah this is one of my favorite all-time artists".  When it comes to crooning, timbre, inflection, and intonation are incredibly important.  I'm not sure I like any of those on this record.

Doesn't mean I don't still love the 5 STP records, the VR stuff, and the solo stuff, but this...I just can't roll with the rest of the board on it.

Thank you so much for typing out the post i haven't had the energy for over the past couple weeks.

I'd have no business owning this album if it didn't have Scott Weiland's name on the front. And while some tracks are listenable, it's hard to disagree with the cold hard facts, scott DOES miss a ton of notes on this album, if you don't have the ear for that, i guess you're one of the lucky ones. i WANT to like the album, i really do, and at one point i think i convinced myself i did, and while i haven't given it that many spins as it's really not seasonable yet, this relationship just really isn't working out

Whether you like the album or not, fine, everyone's entitled to their opinions, i don't really know what trolling means but i don't think anyone on here is a loser, i'd assume people have lives outside of an STP forum.

As far as his face goes, no, he didn't get any work done. You could make a case for that every 2 1/2 years when he completely changes the way he looks. I'm gonna chalk this one up to weird makeup and a bad haircut
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Silver guns and Candybars

« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2011, 03:27:38 AM »
But, he's clearly had some facial   work done or something right??  He's starting to look different to me.

Anytime someone goes down on Paz their face is never the same.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 03:35:12 AM by Silver guns and Candybars »

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2011, 03:40:38 AM »
But, he's clearly had some facial   work done or something right??  He's starting to look different to me.

Anytime someone goes down on Paz their face is never the same.
I would assume you end up looking like the Nazis after someone opened the Ark of the Covenant.

hawk900

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2011, 01:15:30 PM »
 As cheesy as it may seem and no one hates Christmas more than me. There is a genius behind this. He is in my interpritation putting himself in what he remembers growing up with Christmas and how everything was portrayed back then in his eyes.
  It seems like he and the whole video (hair styles,clothes,filming style and colours) are from the era when "techni color " first came out. You know how they filled the black and white in with color and the phony back ground screens moving by as if they are in a sleigh or car.
 Sinatra tribute album in the works.  You can tell when they filmed that. That's the face Scott had on during the last couple STP shows before the re-scheduling. If anything he got some rosey collagen cheeks that stay puffy for a while. Now from the Mexico STP footage his face is normal again.
  hawk.
almost pissed myself this morn.    I am Scott Weiland and I still play mother fuckin Christmas songs............lol
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 01:50:31 PM by hawk900 »

cosmicpilot

• Flowery Bad Girl
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2011, 12:13:01 AM »
My take is that the album is definitely supposed to be serious, but also light-hearted and playful because it's Christmas music.

The video is supposed to be cheeky and kitschy. His hair is cut to look like a 40s/50s style like Bing Crosby, Sinatra, etc. for his Christmas album promotion.

As for the face thing. I really don't think he's had any surgery or anything. The main thing I notice is the penciled-over eyebrows which I think is what gives him that Pee-Wee Herman/Clown appearance much like the picture from that recent private party. And I think he's wearing a lot of makeup in the video. I think the combination of the caked-on makeup and penciled eyebrows are what makes him look a bit creepy and Michael Jackson-y. Because sometimes you see him, like at recent STP shows, and his face looks more normal. I think it's all about the makeup. I don't think the guy's had enough time recently to even have had work surgically done to his face and still recover and be on stage without him having bandages or swelling or something. When he grows a little stubble back and washes the stuff off his eyebrows, he'll look like the same old Weiland. Well, and when the sides of his hair grows back, after the Christmas season.

Oh, and I also think being more of a normal weight person now makes his face seem smoother and a tad doughier which changes his appearance and makes it look like he could've had work done, but I think it's just the difference from not having his skin resting right on his skeletal skinny body like the VR and early STP-Reunion days.

Just my 2 cents...

Bloody hell!! I genuinely got a bit of a shock there.  That was a bit nightmareish and that didn't suit him.  Go ahead with the 50's kitsch thing, but don't make scott look like some gay ass serial killer!  But in the end I kept laughing at the video but yet oddly wanting to watch it again?! and I agree with you there Christie as well ♥
"Robert DeLeo is right there with him in the pocket, accenting the groove with his thick baselines (while exuding a stage presence midway between CIA agent, Mafia hit man, Latin gigolo and dance instructor, thanks to his slicked-back hair, ever-present shades and fluid moves)"
Darryl Sterdan - The winnipeg Sun

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2011, 12:24:19 AM »
Director: Bryan Carberry
Director of Photography: Joel David Stout
Producer: Michael Klein

Quote by Joel David Stout:
Doing a reshoot this week to adapt it into a commercial to be aired in Times Square. Good times!!
http://www.joeldavidstout.com/blog/

As someone told me, it's not the only Scott Weiland Christmas video filmed by the same director. We'll see.

Oh no! another Cinnamon no! lol ;)

When I saw the video a few days ago I so wanted to know the genius mind behind the concept.

Don't need to say he picked the best song on the album to make it the first single, since day number one Winter Wonderland has been my favorite.
The concept fits perfectly, I love it, cheesy, weird, fun, awkward! just like Christmas.

"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

IdahoSTPfan

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2011, 11:06:02 PM »
I wasn't sure if anyone has noticed this video has 30,000+ views on You Tube.  Not too damn bad!  Has anyone heard anymore on the company that he is supposedly redoing the video for their commercial to air?

Sinnamon Toast

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2011, 07:11:14 AM »
Slicked back and shaved down to the scalp on the sides when you're balding is a very bad look.

I'm not a fashionista by any means but dear god... it's bad.

He would have looked cooler with hair like he had back in 1996 when they were on Letterman and they played Lady Picture Show.

Ohhh!  Be still my heart...I have liked many a Scott Weiland 'do...I have disliked several, as well.  But there are three hairstyles I ADORE on Scott and you just listed one of them.   :-*   My other two favs:  The sorta fluffy, ginger-ish color 'do he was sportin' around the Unplugged/Purple era and my #1 fav is when he has it black and kinda spiked, as he wore it during the late 90's/early 2000's, (the HOB shows, Sour Girl Vid and those vids from the free show STP did at some Tower Records).  I like his hair that sort of length and either fluffy/messy or fluffy/spikey.  I think that dark hair suits him so nicely...I love the contrast of light eyes, pale skin and dark hair. 

I do agree that the shaved nearly bald look just doesn't look good on him.  I also feel that something is "off" about his face.  Of course I know that his look is always evolving, but in this music vid for the Christmas song, he looks puffy or botoxed or something I can't quite put my finger on.   :-\   There's also no "light" in his eyes.  Makes me kinda sad....
Are you good and lubed up?

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2011, 11:56:40 AM »
I really hate how negative I have been on here lately....but he looks terrible in this video.

It's fun, but his face just looks weird and contorted.  It reminds me of that photo from the private party he played a while back.

Video's cute.  I wince when he misses notes on this record, but otherwise okay.

For us uneducated folks, what picture from what private party?
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2011, 08:20:35 PM »
I really hate how negative I have been on here lately....but he looks terrible in this video.

It's fun, but his face just looks weird and contorted.  It reminds me of that photo from the private party he played a while back.

Video's cute.  I wince when he misses notes on this record, but otherwise okay.

For us uneducated folks, what picture from what private party?
Somewhere here http://www.belowempty.com/forum/index.php?topic=7904.0
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"