October 01, 2024, 06:23:57 PM

Author Topic: First Time You Heard Stone Temple Pilots  (Read 9478 times)

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
First Time You Heard Stone Temple Pilots
« on: November 11, 2011, 07:00:57 PM »
Sorry if this is a repost but i couldnt find it.
Do you remember the first time you heard an STP tune and were captivated by it?  Share your story here and make us all shed a tear reminiscing of times past. (Minus the tears and all that)

For me it was late 2007 or early 2008 So I was a sophomore in high school I think.  I had just figured out that STP was headlining Rock on The Range and I didn't know any of their music. I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth with my sister and she was talking about interstate love song.  I didnt know it so we went downstairs and listened to it and the guitar riff instantly got me.  it's been smooth sailing ever since!
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: First Time You Heard Stone Temple Pilots
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 07:03:12 PM »
Being like 12 and watching WWF Superstars of Wrestling and seeing the commercial spots advertising Core. Been a fan ever since.

Do the math.
Take it.

strykb

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 08:02:55 PM »
Introduced to Guns N' Roses in 6th grade. Loved them. Someone lent me a Velvet Revolver CD, and wasn't thrilled. I eventually warmed up to Slither, and looked into Stone Temple Pilots. I fell in love with Plush and ILS, and attempted to learn them on the guitar. I proceeded to buy the CDs, and listen to each song at a slow pace.

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 08:22:04 PM »
I heard Pop's Love Suicide on a friends burned CD sometime in early 06 I wanna say.... I remember when the song was over Where the River Goes was the next track and I remember thinking to myself half way into the song...Wait a second... This is the same singer that sung that last song isn't it? My friend gave me the nod and the rest is history
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 08:47:47 PM »
I remember the first time SAW STP was on the back of one of those Columbia House catalogs. They had a cool picture of them from the Core days (well, obviously). I had heard Sex Type Thing on the radio, but finally connected the dots as to who they were.
They were playing all over the radio that next year. The old days. haha.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 08:50:25 PM »
I heard "Big Empty" in The Crow. That's all it took.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 08:52:03 PM »
Stone Temple Pilots created a monster.  I was always a fan of music, but I didn't start consuming it like a drug until I heard STP. 

I grew up somewhat sheltered from modern music.  The very first record I ever purchased--well, to be fair, my parents purchased it for me--was a Van Halen 45 of Jump/House of Pain when I was 6 years old.  From there, I pretty much listened to what my parents listened to.  I was fed a steady diet of 2 of Dean's "4 food groups of rock," the Beatles and the Stones.  As I got older, my father introduced me to Eric Clapton and Jethro Tull, and my mom introduced me to Jimmy Buffet (who still holds a soft spot in my heart, oddly).

My first compact disc, perhaps embarrassingly, was Whenever You Need Somebody by Rick Astley.  I still remember the excitement of having purchased this new technology, with my parents, at the only Target in town (there are now 4).  When my cousin, who became more like a brother, moved in with my family, he started introducing me to what was then the resurgence of Aerosmith.  Pump became one of my favorite albums.  One of the first CDs that I purchased on my own was Aerosmith's Get a Grip at the Wherehouse.  I was now 13 and in 8th grade.  Aerosmith had become the biggest rock band in the world, reenergized, along with Alicia Silberstone, for the MTV generation.  But in 1994, my world changed.

I dropped what I was doing and my head spun when I heard a clip--just a clip--in a teaser for MTV's already-huge Unplugged series.  That clip was the chorus of "Big Empty".  It was early 1994 and I was a freshman in high school.  I spent the next several months, usually on Saturday trips to the big malls in the big cities, rummaging through record shops trying to find a copy of what I had heard.  My father was really into technology (we had already gone through both a Commodore 64 and Macintosh Plus), and we were already hooked up to the newest burgeoning technology, the internet (at first through America Online).  I frantically searched in both record stores and online, finding out that the song was slated to be released on an album coming out June 7, 1994.  I distinctly remember one trip to a mall music shop where I asked if a single release would precede the album.  I was told that a lot of bands didn't release singles anymore (though I would quickly learn that that was not true in other countries, and thus soon began my search for interesting imports), so probably not.

I bought Purple (on cassette, as I listened to music almost exclusively then on a Walkman) as soon as I could, and I immediately fell in love with another song on the album, "Interstate Love Song".  In fact, as time (and releases) went on, "Big Empty" would start to slide down my list of favorite STP songs.  I eventually purchased Core, also on cassette, unheard.  I was immediately struck by the almost indistinguishable sounds between the two albums.  Another song that I had never heard stuck out: "Plush".  I was enamoured.  Actually, I was addicted.

One day, after wearing out these two cassettes, I heard a vaguely familiar voice on the radio.  It sounded a lot like the singer from STP in the verses to "Big Empty", but this was an odd, acoustic diddy with an odd beat that almost sounded middle-eastern.  I thought 'this sounds like STP'.  It was.  It was Dancing Days.  I looked around online and found out that Encomium, a tribute to Led Zeppelin, a band that I had never listened to before, was coming out on March 14, 1995.  On its release date, I purchased it on compact disc.  Then began the 378-day countdown to the release of Tiny Music...Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop, and soon my life would experience its ups and downs along with, and sometimes because of this band.

Epilogue:
Prior to the release of Encomium, I heard another song that made me head swing around towards the video playing on MTV.  The song was "Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do)"; the band was Van Halen, now with a different singer than when I received my first ever record.  I purchased the album, Balance, on CD (I had, of course, upgraded to a Discman). 

Van Halen made me want to pick up a guitar.  I have been playing now for 14 years.  STP made me want to join a band.  I played in one for about 5 years.

Both bands opened up doors, and since my musical tastes have expanded exponentially.  Ironically, as my musical horizon was expanding at a furious pace, it also came full circle. 

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 09:19:51 PM »
I knew absolutely zilch about STP until 2008.  The only bands that I listened to were the tracks my dad loved, and these were all found on classic rock radio stations.  I absolutely hated Kurt Cobain, not for his music, but for effectively ending the days of classic rock and destroying big hair bands. 
Then my step-father saw that me and a few of my buds did a few lip-synching covers of GNR on youtube just goofing around.  He asked us if we could do something by STP.  I was like, "STP?"  I had never heard of the Stone Temple Pilots before.  So I youtubed them, and listened to Interstate Love Song.
I became hooked! I couldn't understand what was so appealing about the music video, but it didn't matter.  I was drawn to them and immediately embraced the '90s.  I really remembering enjoying Scott's dancing as I watched their live performances on youtube.  I recall defending him on the comments section of youtube when people said he danced like a fag.  Scott had the demeanor that I was looking for in a band leader.  He showed some great confidence on all the live performances I viewed.
I loved Dean's kick-ass guitar that had a killer riff on every song and was impossible not to get pumped up after listening to it.  I loved how Eric seemed to beat the shit out of his drums on all of the tracks of Thank You (my first STP album)  I did not know much about Rob in the beginning and would sometimes mix him up with Dean.  But after finding that Rob was the brains behind the STP machine, he has become my 2nd favorite member.  Now I kick in the bass-boost for STP when I listen to them on my IPod.  I instantly knew I had found my favorite band!
I think what really drew me to them was how many tracks I have recognized on the radio before actually knowing about them as an artist.  I never connected the dots because STP was always able to exemplify a different sound, ecspecially Scott.  I also am drawn to them more than most bands, I think, because they have never got the credentials that they probably should have deserved.  I feel it is my duty to support these guys no matter what course they take.
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

Silver guns and Candybars

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 09:47:28 PM »
I hate to admit it sometimes but "stpunderground" introduced me to STP.
We were in this band a couple years back and we were preparing for an upcoming show  and he was all we should cover these STP songs.
Myself and the then-singer said who the hell is that?
He then played Crackerman, Down, and Heaven and Hotrods all back to back and I loved it instantly.
I made my way from there.
I must admit I was a Core-head for a couple of months.
It was just so good to me I didn't want to listen to anything else.
I really liked Purple and Tiny but No. 4 and Shangri was what catapulted STP to becoming my favorite band, behind only the mighty Zepp.
Those two albums are so precious to me  :-*

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 10:53:15 PM »
Sneaked brother's Core tape into my room and played it on my dad's tape recorder at the age of 7 or 8 if im not wrong!  Love at first listen! That and A-sides (Soundgarden) on the same day. All this when my bro was off to college :D

After dat was SLDD when i saw the "Days Of The Week" video... :P

« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 10:55:14 PM by disasterami »

MyFavoriteCagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'll breathe your life, Vick's Vapor life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 11:02:01 PM »
Borrowed my uncle's CD collection, found No. 4 and put it to Track 12 (as you're supposed to do with every album, right?) By the time the breakdown of Atlanta ended and it was just Dean's guitar and Scott's vox, I was in tears. Atlanta will always be in my top 5 songs because of that. This happened 3 years ago? Prior to that, I was only familiar with the Core and Purple radio hits. I honestly didn't even listen to Tiny Music until a year ago. But now I'm hooked for life<3 (Vick's Vapor life and when you binge I purge alike)
You'll never lose it cuz you never had it

mrmojorisin

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 11:25:36 PM »
 I fell in love when Plush was released and heard it on the local radio station.
Too much walkin shoes worn thin  Too trippin and my souls worn thin

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 12:33:11 AM »
2004, I saw a live performance of 'Days of the Week' -which I have never seen again, it's like a ghost!- on TV.
I was getting into VR back then, and  I was like "can't be the same singer, omg it is!" The rest is history :)

I bought Core first, it was good but didn't have an impact on me. I bought SLDD next, because the music store didn't have Purple or Tiny at sight, and SLDD cover appelead me more than No 4- It was exactly what I was looking for.
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 02:15:05 AM »
Damn, we got some late ones here!

I heard Sex type Thing on the radio in 92 and really liked it. When Plush was released, I was hooked. Bought the album a short time later. I'm surprised that cassette never wore out.

robrhre

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Grab the hate and drown it out
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 02:32:27 AM »
I remember hearing Big Empty in the car when I was about ten in 2000. I had no idea who it was, but I remember having it stuck in my head for years. In about 2007 I finally found out who it was on youtube and then I clicked on a STP Unplugged video. I could not believe it was the same singer because of Scott's appearance change. I had to go to wikipedia to see if they had more than one singer. After doing that I went back to youtube and could not believe all the songs this band had that I loved for years, but did not know who sang them. Quickly their 10 hits I loved turned into 25 songs that I loved, then quickly about 90% of their catalog and the rest is history.
MM 3/10/09 STP 10/6/09 EC 6/19/10 SP7/16/10
STP 10/19/10 3EB 5/11/11 B182 8/12/11
Godsmack 8/16/11 Incubus 9/17/11
Foo's 11/8/11 Bush 12/2/11 JA 3/10/12 Bush 8/1/12
3DG 10/27/12 SW 11/29/12 SW 3/11/13 SW 8-20-13 Pepper 9/14/13 CTE 10/25/13 AM! 1/15/14 Weezer 4/1/14