October 01, 2024, 04:29:03 PM

Author Topic: First Time You Heard Stone Temple Pilots  (Read 9472 times)

BrandoKommando

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: First Time You Heard Stone Temple Pilots
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 03:09:19 AM »
March of 1993.  I had seen/heard STP on MTV, but didn't know who they were.  This story has
a lesson to those who read it.  Never date your friend's sister.

Although I must admit, I was the one who screwed the relationship up.  The whole thing was
doomed from the start.  She was in college - I was in high-school.  She was the older hot girl
who knew good music, I was playing "Black Sheep" and "Run DMC" at a local radio station.
Finding good rock music wasn't on my radar.  But when getting into this girl's vehicle, she
popped in a cassette.  I was immediately caught by the album cover (which was Core).
I still remember her fast-forwarding the tape to "her favorite song called Plush".  Not really
paying too much attention to the music, I talked with her as we rode into town.

In the background, I remember hearing the song.  Too busy with trying make conversation,
I didn't pay that much attention to the song.  Yet I remember that I did have a thought or
two about how different the song sounded.  The guitar melody stuck in my head after I went
home.  I do remember me asking her who the band was.  She told me it was this group called
"The Stone Temple Pilots".

I heard "Trippin" a few years later while working at a radio station.  I realized STP was the band
I heard in that girls van a few years earlier.  Remembering the song "Plush" and how unique I thought
it was, I was floored when I heard "Trippin".  The lyrics, the guitar solo, the driving drums?  All of it was
cool.  "Trippin" was on a compilation CD for the month of May - 1996.  I dubbed it onto a cassette with other songs from Smashing Pumpkins, Stabbing Westward, Goo Goo Dolls and some other bands.  I took it up north to a summer camp where I worked as a counselor.  I played it in my cabin all the time.  The week I discovered the song, I was in charge of the 7 and 8 year-old boys.  They listened to it over and over with me.  By the end of the week, I could hear them singing "I'm not dead and I'm not for sale" as they sat around the camp-fire.  Those kids would be 23 or 24 years old now.  I still wonder if any of those kids became STP fans.  They heard that song so many damn times that week.  It makes me laugh out loud thinking about it. 

As for the girl I dated?  We broke-up that spring.  Long-distance relationships don't work.  And the way we broke-up wasn't good either.  When you wrong your friend's sister, you wrong your friend.  Her brother and I never really trusted each other much after that.  Eventually, we stopped hanging out.  This girl and her brother (my friend) both went to the same college that I eventually attended.  I made amends with her at a party my freshman year. 

As for not dating your friend's sister, I could also recommend not letting your friend have access to YOUR sister.  Yup.  The girl I dated?  Her brother?  My friend?  Yes.  He hooked-up with my sister when she came to visit me for siblings weekend.  And I use the word "hook-up" in an understated manner.  :(

Karma is a bitch.

-Brandon
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 03:12:06 AM by BrandoKommando »
"I was a SUPERMAN, but looks are deceiving."  - Scott Weiland

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
I heard "Big Empty" in The Crow. That's all it took.

That's what hooked me back in 1994. I remember seeing commercials for Core back in 92, and I probably saw the video for Plush, but it wasn't until I heard Big Empty that I was a fan. Then I bought MY FIRST CD, which was Purple on release day when I was vacationing in San Diego. I clearly remember chilling in the hotel room listening to the album on my portable CD player while watching the 1994 NBA Finals between the Rockets and Knicks.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Humble Kidney Pie

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Hold on to something still.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 09:08:33 PM »
I remeber listening to, and loving, Art School Girl in 1997 when I was about 6 years old.  My mom was a HUGE STP fan and we would listen and sing along to that song together all the time.  The weird thing is, I wouldn't remember this until about 11 years later when I was driving that truck around town while listening to my mom's old CDs.  One of them being Tiny Music.....
Picked a song, sang a yellow nectarine.

FirstSexTypeThingOnMars

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 09:21:54 PM »
I wish I had an entertaining story to tell like some folks here but I don't. Basically 5 years ago I heard Plush on the radio and looked up STP shortly afterwards. Great story right!

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 11:47:20 PM »
A couple years ago, a girl asked me to find Scott Weiland solo album called "12 Bar Blues". I knew Scott as the singer of Velvet Revolver and kinda hated him at the time for no reason.
Anyway, I managed to find the album and was absolutely blown away after the very first listen by "The Date". This song was everything I thought music should be - raw emotions and hypnotic musical swirls. It was like I finally found the song I was searching for my entire life. I spent a lot of time listening to it with the lights off and looking at the lava lamp that made this song sound even more hypnotic.
The first STP song I decided to listen after that was Atlanta - the title that caught my eye the most.
I was hooked in a brutal way. Haha
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

born2boogie

• *Happy Dancer*
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Keep Smiling ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Weiland Fans Online
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2011, 02:38:29 PM »
                                                             Re: If you remember, what was the very first song ever you heard by STP?                                                          « Reply #76 on: August 04, 2006, 05:50:56 AM »

for me its was "Sex Type Thing" when I 1st seen VR live (2005)... but I wasn't hooked until I heard "Sour Girl"                                                                                                                           
Why surrender this way I feel so raped just like an open book that no one wants to read. Don't turn away.. :'(

pjstp

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2011, 05:42:39 PM »
Back in 2001ish? I remember hearing Plush on the radio, which immediately made me want to go to the store and pick up Core. Then when I got Purple shortly after I was hooked for good.
STP: 2/19/2011 - Thackerville, OK; 4/30/2011 - Birmingham, AL; 8/16/2011 - Austin, TX; 8/17/2011 - Dallas, TX; 11/5/2011 - Concho, OK
SW: 3/27/2013 - Dallas, TX; 4/30/2014 - Dallas, TX; 5/3/2014 - Little Rock, AR; 9/20/2014 - Shreveport, LA; 11/9/2015 - Dallas, TX

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 09:43:42 AM »
I remember hearing Creep on the radio all the time when I was 5 years old. I didn't know who it was by but I really liked it.
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 02:00:40 PM »
Probably drunkenly moshing to Sex Type Thing at the local rock night at the club I used to drink at, when I was 17ish, back in '92 or '93.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 04:33:56 PM »
I was a lad, and not really into music.  Remember hearing Plush at my buddies house at the height of grunge, I thought it was great tune but also thought it was made by the same group that released Jeremy.  My buddy and I actually got into a small argument as he was claiming it wasnt but I was pretty sure it was, lol  .. (Although I really got hooked onto STP when Vasoline came out, I guess that another thread)

.. I was young and very stupid when it came to music.   I think at the same time 'Right Now' by VH was out and watching the video at the same buddys house and wondering why the singer (david Lee Roth) wasnt in the video, my firend later informed me that it was a different singer although it sounded the same to me .. oh my virgin years
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

PURVEYOR

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
    • Electric Magma
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 03:28:15 PM »
its really to cool to see how many second generation STP fans are on this board!!  From the sounds of it the majority of the people who posted in this thread didn't get into STP until they were done the first time.

That makes for a solid fan base. 

Me... I'm old  I remember seeing the canadian premiere of the Sex Type Thing video with my buddies so I guess that was 93??? or 92?  whenever it was released.  This was the first time I had heard them and we all dug it a lot. 
THe one comment I remember everyone making was "hey that guitarist is totally dressed like Jimmy Page"  haha

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2011, 03:43:25 PM »
The first STP song I heard was Big Bang Baby, back in 1996, when the video was on very heavy rotation on MTV (remember when MTV used to play music videos?) and I fell in love with the song (and Scott's dancing, hehehe). A friend of mine had the Tiny Music CD so we used to listen to it at partys and gatherings. But I wasn't such a huge fan back then.

Years later I got the "Thank you" album, and really liked it. And more recently I loved playing their songs on Rockband...Still not a huge fan but I liked them more as the years went by.

Then, this year I finally got to see them live for the first time. HUGE fan now :D
"I am trampled under sole of another man's shoes...Guess I walked too softly"

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 10:30:07 PM »
I heard Sex Type Thing on the radio around 2000 or 2001 (I was in middle school) and loved it. For a couple years I never knew who it was until finally finding out in 2003. I bought Core that spring and the rest is history
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

txgirl6927

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 04:13:46 AM »
My story is a little x-rated, but oh we'll.

There was this guy I had a huge crush on in high school ('92/'93).  One day he invited me over to his house to hang out.  We ended up "hooking up" that night and Core was playing in the background.  I specifically remember the song Plush.  I've been a fan of STP ever since.  I still think of him every time I hear Plush.  *sigh*
04/12/11: Kings of Leon w/Band of Horses
05/18/11: Avenged Sevenfold
08/16/11: STP @ Austin City Limits Live
03/7/12: Radiohead
If you should die before me ask if you can bring a friend ....

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 04:27:44 AM »
My story is a little x-rated, but oh we'll.

There was this guy I had a huge crush on in high school ('92/'93).  One day he invited me over to his house to hang out.  We ended up "hooking up" that night and Core was playing in the background.  I specifically remember the song Plush.  I've been a fan of STP ever since.  I still think of him every time I hear Plush.  *sigh*

"And I feeeel it."
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides