September 20, 2024, 08:19:31 AM

Author Topic: Between the Lines vs. Dani California  (Read 6873 times)

MyFavoriteCagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'll breathe your life, Vick's Vapor life
    • View Profile
Between the Lines vs. Dani California
« on: November 02, 2011, 03:36:02 AM »
Seeing as I've played covers of these songs in my band, I couldn't help but notice the chorus uses the same chords in the same progression (D to G and F to C, then repeat). Could it be that a certain amount of touring with RHCP rubbed off on Rob, and his sub-conscience shoved it out in the mix, or secret STP/RHCP friendship dealings allow them to use each other's material? Silly speculation or concrete fact? YOU decide >)
You'll never lose it cuz you never had it

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Between the Lines vs. Dani California
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 06:40:43 AM »
I don't really have anything smart to say here, in order to impress, but I do like them both.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 03:09:38 PM »
I thought Dani California was a rip off a Tom Petty tune
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

MyFavoriteCagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 08:23:08 PM »

Yo dawg, heard you like music, so we put Petty in your RHCP so you can RHCP while you STP.

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 09:23:26 PM »

It was a rip of Mary Jane's Last Dance ( one of my fav Petty tracks )

I have the Rolling Stone magazine from 06 when Petty was asked if he thought the Chili Peppers ripped him

“I seriously doubt that there is any negative intent there. And a lot of rock ‘n’ roll songs sound alike. Ask Chuck Berry. The Strokes took ‘American Girl’ for their song 'Last Nite' and I saw an interview with them where they actually admitted it. That made me laugh out loud. I was like, ‘OK, good for you’ … If someone took my song note for note and stole it maliciously, then maybe [I'd sue]. But I don’t believe in lawsuits much. I think there are enough frivolous law suits in this country without people fighting over pop songs.”
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 12:34:14 AM »
Silly speculation or concrete fact?  YOU decide.

Neither. 

There are only twelve notes, and in a 4 chord song/section there are a few "standard" progressions that show up time and time again.

If you somehow have never watched this, do so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHBVnMf2t7w

MyFavoriteCagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 01:23:21 PM »
Silly speculation or concrete fact?  YOU decide.

Neither. 

There are only twelve notes, and in a 4 chord song/section there are a few "standard" progressions that show up time and time again.

If you somehow have never watched this, do so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHBVnMf2t7w

As in previous posts, this wasn't supposed to be a serious analysis; of course standard chord progressions show up repeatedly in 4 chord section, I was just pointing out the similarity between two bands that have done work together in the past and used the similar riff in singles. It was just a fun speculation not an actual concrete fact. I'm sorry if it didn't come off as so.

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 02:09:38 PM »
I like the end of Dani California when Frusciante rocks out, but that's about all. I like DC much more than BTL.

The self-titled album just wasn't my thing at all. Samba Nova is the only song I like (and maybe Take A Load Off, kinda), and its not even on the regular version of the album.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 02:39:56 PM »
Id take BTL over Dani no problem .. but Id take Dani over anything over from the new RHCP album

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 01:30:50 AM »
As in previous posts, this wasn't supposed to be a serious analysis; of course standard chord progressions show up repeatedly in 4 chord section, I was just pointing out the similarity between two bands that have done work together in the past and used the similar riff in singles. It was just a fun speculation not an actual concrete fact. I'm sorry if it didn't come off as so.
I wasn't trying to be snarky.  It's the internet.  I'll admit it - I generalize.  I meant no offense.

Most people on this board couldn't find a C on a piano (I've been around here for a long time), so when people start "analyzing" music, it's my first instinct to cringe a bit.

MyFavoriteCagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 08:26:48 PM »
I wasn't trying to be snarky.  It's the internet.  I'll admit it - I generalize.  I meant no offense.

Most people on this board couldn't find a C on a piano (I've been around here for a long time), so when people start "analyzing" music, it's my first instinct to cringe a bit.

I totally had trouble finding a C on the piano todayXDXDXDXD although i hadnt sat behind one since a few months ago, and it wasnt the first instrument i learned. But that comment struck my funny bone :3

luba

• Flight Attendant
  • most of time between the lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 04:21:22 AM »
Id take BTL over Dani no problem .. but Id take Dani over anything over from the new RHCP album
Perfect comment... can't believe in I'm With You so far.... new guitarrist just isn't there..... waiting for new STP album.
You are the one that keeps me real

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 04:27:01 AM »
Dani California is a great song. I prefer it over Between The Lines. On another note, I wasn't a big fan of the newest RHCP album tbh, I'm not digging the new guitarist, that's just me though. Stadium Arcadium was epic though, very cool album.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 06:13:45 PM »
We forgot to mention that STP ripped of Nirvana in BTL the lines, they obvioulsy ripped STAY AWAY * rolls eyes *