October 03, 2024, 03:42:49 AM

Author Topic: Contraband Album Discussion  (Read 52925 times)

everylilwhore

Re: Contraband Album Discussion
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2004, 04:49:47 AM »
The production is very raw, much like No.4 and quite different from the audioslave album, another supergroup.  I love the scream at the end of 'Sucker Train Blues'.......I haven't heard Scott sing with such emotion in a very long time.
Are you listening to a rip of the album or the actual CD?

Cause I don't hear any 'raw' production at all; MUCH more well produced record than No.4.

Josh Abraham did a great job.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Picked Up The Album Today
« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2004, 07:11:00 AM »
It took me a2nd listen to get into it, im impressed with Weilands work on it i think its up there with his best, as for the music itself its pretty good, i think they could have left out a couple of rockers that are just average but the ballads are all pretty good esp. loving the alien

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2004, 08:00:47 AM »
I wasn't too impressed...although I've only listened to it one time through...I've been a big fan of everything that Weiland has ever done.  Heck, my dog's name is Weiland, but I just couldn't get into this music.  We'll see if it grows on me.  I'll give it a chance, but I don't know. My first impression was that the music was weak and repetitive and that the vocals were not all that great either.  I'm gonna take it home and listen to it in a better environment and see what I think in the next few days.   Discuss...
I feel the same way you do... only I haven't picked up or listened to a copy of the album yet.  I'm not sure I plan on it.  I get the picture after the first two singles, ya know?
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2004, 08:15:11 AM »
I will go out and say that anybody that does not like what this CD does needs to play it louder and wake the fuck up. Keep dreaming for another STP record everyone. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen and if it does, it won't be for years and years. I have a feeling after this VR tour and after they support this in the summer, Scott will commence work on his 2nd solo CD. STP is long gone IMO. If Scott can continue to keep himself out of trouble, I have a good feeling VR is the real deal and will be around for at least a couple more CD's.
No.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

spirithorse

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2004, 01:35:48 PM »
Actually, I really liked Slither and Set Me Free was okay.  I just didn't like the rest of the album...

everylilwhore

« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2004, 02:28:56 PM »
I guess the demand is higher for this band/album than most realized.

It is already being said that it is going to debut at #1 next week and sell over 200,000 units.

I thought it was going to do well, but when is the last time Scott has been a part of a record selling that well?

Purple?

SilvergunSuperman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2004, 02:31:28 PM »
yes

everylilwhore

« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2004, 03:33:22 PM »
I will go out and say that anybody that does not like what this CD does needs to play it louder and wake the fuck up. Keep dreaming for another STP record everyone. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen and if it does, it won't be for years and years. I have a feeling after this VR tour and after they support this in the summer, Scott will commence work on his 2nd solo CD. STP is long gone IMO. If Scott can continue to keep himself out of trouble, I have a good feeling VR is the real deal and will be around for at least a couple more CD's.
No.
You kind of HAVE to agree Jessie; the reports are already saying that they didnt ship enough units of the album, and re-orders are pushing the sales well into 200,000 sold in the first week and debuting at #1.

As long as Scott stays healthy, this band will be the staple for a while to come I would imagine.

Everyone I have spoken too, has also said this band is 10 times better live than STP was...now I would like to judge that one myself...but when I have people telling me that, who actually hated STP AND GNR as well as people who were crazed STP fans; I have to say that I am leaning towards believing them.

tommygunn

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2004, 05:31:25 PM »
Everyone I have spoken too, has also said this band is 10 times better live than STP was...
I disagree.
I saw the show in Toronto and it was an awesome concert without a doubt. But saying they're 10x better is stretching it quite a bit.

For me personally, I am more of an STP fan than either a GNR or VR fan and would rather see a full STP show than anything else...
 :mellow:

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2004, 05:53:56 PM »
The production is very raw, much like No.4 and quite different from the audioslave album, another supergroup.  I love the scream at the end of 'Sucker Train Blues'.......I haven't heard Scott sing with such emotion in a very long time.
Are you listening to a rip of the album or the actual CD?

Cause I don't hear any 'raw' production at all; MUCH more well produced record than No.4.

Josh Abraham did a great job.
Yeah, sorry meant to clarify that..........I bought the album yesterday, and the album has a 'muddy' distorted feel all around it, not very 'clean' or easy on the ears imo.  I like it, and I love the songs, but it's going to take awhile for me to get used to the production, much like with No.4.  I thought this album was going to have a 'bigger' sound (ala 'use your illusion' era GNR), so I'm still adjusting to Josh Abraham using every device known to man to alter Scott's voice, but hey, it sounds great!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 05:54:35 PM by Five Star Edge »
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

everylilwhore

« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2004, 06:26:17 PM »
Everyone I have spoken too, has also said this band is 10 times better live than STP was...
I disagree.
I saw the show in Toronto and it was an awesome concert without a doubt. But saying they're 10x better is stretching it quite a bit.
I will let ya know when I eventually see em.

...you are the first person who has said that; at least that I have heard from.

All the people who have talked to me about it, said that Scott has the same energy (if not more) on stage and the other guys in the band have a TON of more energy than the rest of STP did; Robert and Dean used to just stand there for the most part...sheer energy is what is driving people and the hype behind the live act for VR; I for one could easily see that being the case.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 06:28:41 PM by everylilwhore »

Anonymous

« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2004, 07:34:10 PM »
Quote from: everylilwhore,Jun 9 2004, 10:33 AM

For me personally, I am more of an STP fan than either a GNR or VR fan and would rather see a full STP show than anything else...
 :mellow:
I'm with you on this.  I am seeing VR in Vegas on Friday and I'll see what happens then.

BL

tommygunn

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2004, 07:35:33 PM »
I disagree.
I will let ya know when I eventually see em.

...you are the first person who has said that; at least that I have heard from.

All the people who have talked to me about it, said that Scott has the same energy (if not more) on stage and the other guys in the band have a TON of more energy than the rest of STP did; Robert and Dean used to just stand there for the most part...sheer energy is what is driving people and the hype behind the live act for VR; I for one could easily see that being the case.
Yes, they have a lot of energy live. No doubt there.
But I was thinking of the concert as a whole... content wise as well.
My opinion might have to do more with their limited catalog of songs that they can perform. The GNR and STP songs that they do looked outta place, and were more of a novelty than anything. Same goes for the Nirvana cover.
Maybe when they add more of their own material, my opinion will change.

Anonymous

« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2004, 08:25:46 PM »
I think the album needs three to four spins before some of the melodies actually sink in.  i think headspace is a song that'll catch on given a few listens, same with you got no right.

more importantly, my dog is named "layne" so it seems the memory of the late, great layne staley is living on in domestic animals.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2004, 09:32:28 PM »
Quote from: tommygunn,Jun 9 2004, 04:31 PM
Quote from: everylilwhore,Jun 9 2004, 10:33 AM
That is 140% true.  The live show was incredible.  Although STP's live show is better than 90% of bands out there, VR's live show blew even that away.