October 02, 2024, 09:42:19 PM

Author Topic: Contraband Album Discussion  (Read 52897 times)

Nozomi

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: contraband
« Reply #285 on: July 08, 2008, 09:32:50 PM »
I got Libertad before Contraband, and I prefer it over Contraband as a album whole. But Contraband has a lot more memorable songs, if that makes sense. Loving the Alien, You've Got No Right, Fall To Pieces, Sucker Train Blues. Some of the songs on it are okay, leaning toward good, but it doesn't flow as much.

@mrtootles: I didn't much like Spay either. It's okay, but it's rated lower on my playlist than the rest on the album.

And...reading the whole thread...

How is he "causing" trouble? All he said was his opinion, that he happened to like VR and AOA a little more than STP. There's nothing wrong with that, it's a matter of preference. Because he likes STP too, he can stay. I think it's rude to flat out tell him to leave for his opinion.

I'm not even a hardcore fan of STP, I love all of their songs that I've heard, but I haven't heard all of their albums. I don't have No. 4 or Shangri-La. -cries-
The answer is none, none more black.

rustic

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 11, 2008, 03:26:33 PM »
I think Velvet Revolver as a whole should have been a lot better than it was.  I had high hopes for them, thinking that they'd take the best elements of STP and GnR, but in my opinion that never happened.  Instead, both albums sounded like STP b-sides, with the occasional guitar solo thrown in for good measure.  I'll still listen to them once in a while, but they are definitely a notch below Weiland's other material.

lisa6178

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 11, 2008, 03:29:04 PM »
Quote from: "rustic"
I think Velvet Revolver as a whole should have been a lot better than it was.  I had high hopes for them, thinking that they'd take the best elements of STP and GnR, but in my opinion that never happened.  Instead, both albums sounded like STP b-sides, with the occasional guitar solo thrown in for good measure.  I'll still listen to them once in a while, but they are definitely a notch below Weiland's other material.

Interesting. I don't think VR sounds anything like STP, and I am a fan of both.

Ivy

• Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 11, 2008, 03:34:19 PM »
Quote from: "lisa6178"
Interesting. I don't think VR sounds anything like STP, and I am a fan of both.

Libertad may have sounded like STP a little (Mary Mary, American Man, For A Brother) ..but Contraband doesn't sound anything like STP imo.
Have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up.

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 11, 2008, 11:32:57 PM »
Velvet Revolver live in houston was on last night on HDNET

Awesome show
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

down

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 12, 2008, 12:18:20 AM »
Quote from: "NovaAngel19"
Minus "Spay"

Ouch.
That's probably my favorite VR song. Then again I always like the darker ones..
I plan on getting There is a love that doesn't lease tattooed somewhere on my arms.
Everyone is free to their opinions, but out of curiousity, why didn't you like the song?

I got Libertad before Contraband, and didn't see Vr untill the Libertad theater tour. just listening to live versions of Big Machine on this past tour has a whole different feel from the album version. The album is really dirty [in a good way], but the live version and libertad felt more human and sincere. To me atleast.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 06:55:31 PM by down »
All that first class jet-set brings me down, down down,
All that first class drug shit brings me down...

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 12, 2008, 02:10:35 AM »
I heard Contraband back in the day, probly like 2005ish, the only track that really stuck out to me was Do It For The Kids. I never really got into them.

Then  I remembered seeing She Builds Quick Machines on VH1's top 20 countdown last year, and I thought it was kinda crappy. I also watch Jimmy Kimmel Live a lot, and I saw them perform on it, and I thought they did awesome. So I bought Libertad.

Which then lead me to rediscover Contraband, and now I love both of them. They're the number 2 most played band, right after STP, and that's saying a lot cause of the whole they released 2 albums while STP released 6.

It's good driving fast music.
Bleeda blooda

lisa6178

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 12, 2008, 01:34:21 PM »
^^

I love the She Builds Quick Machines video because I think Scott makes a sexy cowboy. ;)

Navarre

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 12, 2008, 02:15:13 PM »
+1 ( had the same thing. :D)

I love contraband. One of my favorite albums, and the only one I had to buy again because the cd gave up. Played it countless of times. When I bought it I only liked You got no right, Slither and Loving the alien. I ended up liking the whole album.

Libertad has a different feel, contraband was much darker. it took me longer to get used to the sound of Libertad. But I think it's great. I just love American man (especially the break,from "where to begin.." it's beautiful) and of course Gravedancer.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 13, 2008, 07:51:17 PM »
Quote from: "Navarre"
I just love American man (especially the break,from "where to begin.." it's beautiful)

That is one of my favorite parts on that record too. 

Funny thing I noticed about Libertad, is the bridge parts are my favorite parts of the record  Whenever they break it down, its pure magic. 
Examples:
American Man (Where to begin...)
She Mine (While Away....)
SBQM (What you give...)
For a Brother (Walk slowly...)
Gas and A Dollar Laugh (She's alright...)

Yanks241

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 13, 2008, 08:18:11 PM »
Quote from: "Aaron"

Funny thing I noticed about Libertad, is the bridge parts are my favorite parts of the record  Whenever they break it down, its pure magic. 

I completely agree, especially For A Brother and American man.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 14, 2008, 12:30:53 AM »
American Man sort of builds up into an explosion of awesomeness. That solo is win.
Bleeda blooda

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 14, 2008, 04:41:47 PM »
"an explosion of awesomeness" ... is that you Keanu Reeves

down

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 17, 2008, 06:37:12 PM »
Honestly, I think andrew is dead on right with the description of an explosion of awesomeness.
All that first class jet-set brings me down, down down,
All that first class drug shit brings me down...

Fthro6K

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 19, 2008, 10:26:50 PM »
Great album through and through. Just happy that STP is back enough play time scotty good to be back home
If you should die before me ask if you can bring a friend.