October 02, 2024, 11:35:52 PM

Author Topic: Contraband Album Discussion  (Read 52905 times)

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: contraband
« Reply #270 on: June 12, 2008, 04:09:30 AM »
ouch getting brutal
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

gizallinyabiz

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 12, 2008, 10:39:51 PM »
Quote from: "Art School Boy"
i think it would be better if you left.

you speaking to me?

Art School Boy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 14, 2008, 06:34:27 PM »
Quote from: "gizallinyabiz"
you speaking to me?

i am
i am smellin like a rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed

gizallinyabiz

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 16, 2008, 10:46:47 PM »
i am

Why should i leave because i was tryin to ask the person what they said? or because i made an Austin Powers reference? i dont get it

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 17, 2008, 04:52:55 AM »
Quote from: "gizallinyabiz"
I dont speak freaky deaky dutch
I knew it was from austin powers LOL!!  They are mad because you said u would trade STP for VR and AOA...and yes they called u an untru fan
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

gizallinyabiz

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 17, 2008, 10:13:34 PM »
Quote from: "CMCracker"
I knew it was from austin powers LOL!!  They are mad because you said u would trade STP for VR and AOA...and yes they called u an untru fan

I dont think to be a "true" fan i have to put STP above any other bands...I am a fan of STP but if i could have a new VR album with the original lineup and a new AOA album instead of a STP Tour id take it in a heartbeat

Art School Boy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 22, 2008, 06:38:52 PM »
i dont know i just think that this is more of a place for hardcore fans. you just arent giving off that impression.

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 22, 2008, 11:53:38 PM »
I'm a Scott fan, then VR fan and then STP fan, so should I go too??
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #278 on: June 23, 2008, 03:32:32 AM »
It's fine for you to be here Shangri if you're a Velvet Revolver fan, you haven't caused any trouble and you're an STP fan too, while this other guy is causing some trouble.  I know some of us STP fans were a little pissy on the VR board a couple months ago but there was major shit going on back then that called for it (Sorum's Scott bashing, people there praying for Scott's imminent death), but to say stuff like this guy is saying here now is unnecessary.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

NovaAngel19

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 23, 2008, 06:07:05 AM »
whats your opinion of it? i thought it was horrible. it was inconsistent.

(I'll post the same thing that I said in another forum)

Contraband and Libertad are two totally different bands to me. After hearing Slither in 2004, I was really excited about Contraband. I had high expectations. But Contraband was one of those albums that I was very excited to get, then when I listened to it I regreted buying it. To this day I probably like only 3 songs from it. I threw the CD in the garbage long ago and I own none of those songs anymore.

Libertad is a different story. Minus "Spay" and maybe "Just Sixteen", I love every track. Libertad is still one of my favorite new albums of the 2000s. I think it's miles above Army of Anyone's album - an album that I still enjoy.

Even though Contraband had bigger commerical hits, I find Libertad far more interesting on a musical level.

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 23, 2008, 04:24:41 PM »
I had a bad first impression of Contraband at first due to the CD almost fucking my computer up due to the anti-piracy nonsense it installed. Otherwise, great album. I also prefer Libertad though. I think VR came into its own on that album. I'm kind of conflicted because while I'm happy STP is back together, it would've been nice to see how a third VR album with Scott would've gone. Now, it'll be some Guns N Roses wannabe band.

Art School Boy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 23, 2008, 04:57:34 PM »
Quote from: "NovaAngel19"
(I'll post the same thing that I said in another forum)

Contraband and Libertad are two totally different bands to me. After hearing Slither in 2004, I was really excited about Contraband. I had high expectations. But Contraband was one of those albums that I was very excited to get, then when I listened to it I regreted buying it. To this day I probably like only 3 songs from it. I threw the CD in the garbage long ago and I own none of those songs anymore.

Libertad is a different story. Minus "Spay" and maybe "Just Sixteen", I love every track. Libertad is still one of my favorite new albums of the 2000s. I think it's miles above Army of Anyone's album - an album that I still enjoy.

Even though Contraband had bigger commerical hits, I find Libertad far more interesting on a musical level.

yeah i just really was dissappointed by contraband. i had hoped that it would grow on me over time but no such thing happened. i can listen to every song on libertad over and over. spay i think has a lot of potential but they just didnt reach it.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #282 on: June 28, 2008, 05:41:43 PM »
Quote from: "NovaAngel19"

Absolutely agree. I played Libertad for my co-worker the other day since he's never heard it before. I kept telling him that you can tell Scott had his fingerprints all over the album compared to Contraband, and he couldn't agree more. Hearing it again, I'm starting to enjoy Slash's work on the album more and more as well. (Although American Man still has my favorite solo from the album)
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

gizallinyabiz

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 03, 2008, 08:17:19 PM »
i dont know i just think that this is more of a place for hardcore fans. you just arent giving off that impression.
I thought this was a place for fans in general....no STP isnt my favorite band....rock isnt even my favorite music but i still like to check on news and discuss things...didnt realize that was such a problem

Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
It's fine for you to be here Shangri if you're a Velvet Revolver fan, you haven't caused any trouble and you're an STP fan too, while this other guy is causing some trouble.  I know some of us STP fans were a little pissy on the VR board a couple months ago but there was major shit going on back then that called for it (Sorum's Scott bashing, people there praying for Scott's imminent death), but to say stuff like this guy is saying here now is unnecessary.

what are you talkin about? what did i say that was so wrong? and how am i casuing trouble...all i did was state an opinion and now im an asshole

mrtootles

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 08, 2008, 06:35:01 PM »
Haven't listened to Contraband in months, maybe even a year. Just put it on my work computer today (personal one died a while ago), and I'm going to have to give it the nod over Libertad.

While I think their second album had some great songs, there are also a few I can't listen to; namely "Spay." None of those on Contraband.

Furthermore, I agree that Libertad sounds like it has Scott's touch a little more, but because of that, I don't think either sound (the GnR boys' or Scott's) is fully realized. It's not as unified for me. Their third CD probably wouldn't have been interesting.

And by "interesting," I mean "still nothing close to STP"
Eddie Izzard: 7/18, STP: 7/25, 8/31,
Beck: 8/25, 08/30, Radiohead: 8/25