October 03, 2024, 03:33:11 AM

Author Topic: Contraband Album Discussion  (Read 52923 times)

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Contraband Album Discussion
« Reply #180 on: June 20, 2004, 10:41:29 PM »
how much did they sell anyways?

bunbury_hmr

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 21, 2004, 12:41:43 AM »
Well, apparently it's working quite well.  They're selling more albums than any of us.  I don't quite understand it myself.
You released an Album? :unsure:  :blink:

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 22, 2004, 01:47:42 AM »
I guess the demand is higher for this band/album than most realized.

It is already being said that it is going to debut at #1 next week and sell over 200,000 units.

I thought it was going to do well, but when is the last time Scott has been a part of a record selling that well?

Purple?
And it is official. Velvet Revolver Debuts at #1 with over 256,000 copies sold. Billboard.com  

Amazing and surprising since Audioslave debuted with only 162,000  in it's first week.
There was a lot more hype about this album though.  I think the audioslave album will ultimately win out.
I don't know about that.  Audioslave's demo's where played on the air, illegally.  not even close to radio standards.  those things got traded like crazy.  There was anticipation, but the demo's killed a bit of it cause some didn't like them.  The quality of the record shone through though, and it was successful.

Audioslave's record is really the only thing to compare it as a standard.  Snakepit and STP weren't selling many records anymore.

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 25, 2004, 05:01:12 PM »
They're a little late on it, but Yahoo! has something on VR's suppossed copy portection. Plus, it looks like it sold another 124,000 copies last week.
Copy-Protected CD Becomes Best Seller

By ALEX VEIGA, AP Business Writer

LOS ANGELES - A music CD wrapped in copy-protection technology has become a best seller, fueling speculation that U.S. music fans might be ready to accept such restrictions.

Velvet Revolver's "Contraband" has sold 380,000 copies since its release last week, when it grabbed the top sales spot with 256,000 units sold, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

It's one of a few CDs issued in the United States equipped with such copy-protection measures, which the recording industry has been cautious to implement.

"Obviously, this is our highest-profile release to date with copy-management technology, so there's a sense that the technology has matured and our research shows us that consumers are receptive," said Nathaniel Brown, a spokesman for Bertelsmann Music Group.

Fans bought the CD despite clear warnings on the jewel case about the copy restrictions. "Contraband" is the first record by the group formed by ex-members of Guns N' Roses and the frontman of Stone Temple Pilots.

The technology on the CD is supposed to help reduce music piracy by preventing buyers from burning more than three copies, among other restrictions. But it remains a work in progress — songs ripped from the CD don't play on Apple Computer Inc.'s popular iPod digital music player.

And users loading the CD on a PC running Microsoft Corp.'s Windows operating system can easily bypass the protection features by pressing the "shift" key.

Phoenix-based SunnComm Technologies Inc., the company behind the copy-protection features on "Contraband," says its technology is not supposed to be hacker-proof, just effective enough to reduce piracy overall.
I don't recall seeing a "clear warning" on my copy.
And what's this about only being able to copy it 3 times? Haven't heard that one before.

violentgreen

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 26, 2004, 05:24:34 AM »
They're a little late on it, but Yahoo! has something on VR's suppossed copy portection. Plus, it looks like it sold another 124,000 copies last week.
Copy-Protected CD Becomes Best Seller

By ALEX VEIGA, AP Business Writer

LOS ANGELES - A music CD wrapped in copy-protection technology has become a best seller, fueling speculation that U.S. music fans might be ready to accept such restrictions.

Velvet Revolver's "Contraband" has sold 380,000 copies since its release last week, when it grabbed the top sales spot with 256,000 units sold, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

It's one of a few CDs issued in the United States equipped with such copy-protection measures, which the recording industry has been cautious to implement.

"Obviously, this is our highest-profile release to date with copy-management technology, so there's a sense that the technology has matured and our research shows us that consumers are receptive," said Nathaniel Brown, a spokesman for Bertelsmann Music Group.

Fans bought the CD despite clear warnings on the jewel case about the copy restrictions. "Contraband" is the first record by the group formed by ex-members of Guns N' Roses and the frontman of Stone Temple Pilots.

The technology on the CD is supposed to help reduce music piracy by preventing buyers from burning more than three copies, among other restrictions. But it remains a work in progress — songs ripped from the CD don't play on Apple Computer Inc.'s popular iPod digital music player.

And users loading the CD on a PC running Microsoft Corp.'s Windows operating system can easily bypass the protection features by pressing the "shift" key.

Phoenix-based SunnComm Technologies Inc., the company behind the copy-protection features on "Contraband," says its technology is not supposed to be hacker-proof, just effective enough to reduce piracy overall.
I don't recall seeing a "clear warning" on my copy.
And what's this about only being able to copy it 3 times? Haven't heard that one before.
I did see a clear warning on it.  Actually, it was one of the first things I noticed when I picked it up off the shelf.

Anyway, I don't know about the copying limit.  I don't ever copy them.  I just ripped it to my ipod.
Oh yeah, that looks much sexier on you.

walkingarazor

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/deathbedmotorcade
« Reply #185 on: June 27, 2004, 01:59:59 AM »
When I copy CDs to my computer or another CD, it sounds like total crap. So I don't really copy Cds. But I noticed the copy-protect thing right away. Me and my pal chatted about it while we waited in line to buy our copies.

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 27, 2004, 03:48:03 PM »
Sounds like crap?  You're probably doing something wrong.  It's data.  If you copy the data, you have a copy of the data.  A copy.  See?

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 22, 2004, 06:46:50 AM »
Sunday's best buy ad has 'Contraband' under the new release section and the tag "3 Best Buy exclusive bonus tracks."
It's only 10 bucks. Not too bad, when you consider buying the import singles are about 9 bucks a pop (or more) and you only get 1 or 2 new tracks.

The new tunes are:
'No More, No More' (Aerosmith), 'Surrender' (Cheap Trick) and 'Negative Creep' (Nirvana).

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 22, 2004, 09:00:43 AM »
i hate when record companies do that shit, im not giving them more cash .. fuck em :angry:

violentgreen

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 22, 2004, 01:37:49 PM »
Yeah and fuck best buy too.  If you are going to buy it, get it from somewhere else.
Oh yeah, that looks much sexier on you.

antisocialxgrl

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=antisocialxgrl&mode=f
« Reply #190 on: November 22, 2004, 05:37:17 PM »
Hey, if it's only $10, I'll be able to sleep at night...

but is it ONLY at Best Buy? :(
http][/url]
--> [url=h

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 22, 2004, 09:37:55 PM »
Hey, if it's only $10, I'll be able to sleep at night...

but is it ONLY at Best Buy? :(
According to the ad it is, which says "3 Best Buy exclusive bonus tracks."

walkingarazor

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/deathbedmotorcade
« Reply #192 on: November 23, 2004, 12:16:49 AM »
It shouldn't only be at Best Buy, no. I'm not re-buying the thing. The only new track I already don't have is "No More, No More." And for that one, I'll just rely on all of my wonderful online STP and VR pals.  :)

SilvergunSuperman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 23, 2004, 01:57:05 AM »
I'll buy it.

Anonymous

« Reply #194 on: November 23, 2004, 06:03:51 AM »
I'll buy it. My car cd player scratches cds, so I need a new one anyways.