October 03, 2024, 05:31:19 AM

Author Topic: Contraband Album Discussion  (Read 52927 times)

SilvergunSuperman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Contraband Album Discussion
« Reply #165 on: June 16, 2004, 10:42:23 PM »

bunbury_hmr

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 17, 2004, 12:27:12 AM »
Because of the penny difference? :blink:

Anyone else got the Vinyl?
I got mine from Amoeba Records last night but i only found the Black one i want it the White one since i had the Black Cd. [_[ (So when they take out the Guitar Book i would have gotten the Red one  :lol:  )
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 12:27:41 AM by bunbury_hmr »

pumpkinrocker28

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 17, 2004, 02:21:53 AM »
impressive, but the beastie boys will knock them out of #1 next week.
unfortunately.  i wish the beastie boys would actually do something new.  that new single is horrible.
i like it!
and in the eyes of a jackal i say ka-BOOM.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 17, 2004, 03:12:35 AM »
As far as this band being 10 times better than STP live - I don't need to see them to know that it's a lie.  Nothing can compare to the energy, the magic, and the force that STP live had.  Not even Slash.   :)
Last time I checked, you havent seen VR live, so I really have no idea how you can say that.  Being a long time STP fan, and even a hesitant VR fan at first, I can wholeheartedly say that the live show is definitely better than STP's, hands down.

edit:
Rik,
You can delete this post, I noticed after posting it that the same thing has already been said.  Thanks
-Aaron
After rumors of onstage squabbling at the Weenie Roast, this from the June 14 2004 Newsweek:
(excerpt)

Behind the scenes, Slash and Weiland don't have much interaction. They do interviews separately, and during sound checks they hardly look at each other. You get a sense that everyone is still testing the waters before they submerge themselves entirely. Still, Weiland claims there are no ego wars to speak of, and Slash says he finds the STP singer a joy to work with after dealing with one of rock's most mercurial frontmen, Axl Rose.

I've seen STP 5 times (6 if you count a short acoustic set/meet and greet) and 4 of those have been better than the VR I show I went to.  I fact, my favorite STP show was at the Joint in Las Vegas, NV.  I was on the barricade, on the left side, directly in front of Robert.  This time, i was on the barricade, left side, directly in front of DAve Kushner.  I was in the exact same spot at the exact same place and I have to say STP's show was better.  In fact, this is the show that 'Creep' and 'Wonderful' are from in the Bootlegs section of the DVD/GH package.  You can even see me for a split second as the camera pans during Creep.

Anyways, STP's show was better.  Even though Slash and Duff run from side to side more than Dean and Rob, it doesn't make it better.  Activity doesn't give it mroe energy.  Phil Jackson of Bulls and Lakers fame always laughs when peole say he doesn't coach because he sits on the bench all game.  He says some poeple think pacing, screaming, and jumping is coaching, I do not.  Same thing here.  STP had more chemistry and intensity than VR did.

This is not to say the VR show was bad.  In fact, it was really good.  But I have seen no band just 'click' in all facets as STP consistantly has in 5 of 6 shows.  And that one show was the first tour date they had done in years besides the Blind Date show.

Pound for pound, STP's set was better.  Some will say that Mr. Brownstone, Used to Love Her, and It's So Easy is a hit machine STP can't match.  I say with Plush, Interstate Love Song, and Creep they could compete with Welcome to the Jungle, Sweet Child O' Mine, and November Rain--and at least its the original band performing them.  I also say that STP's album tracks are on a whole 'better' than VR's.  VR's album is about on par with No. 4.  STP add a brilliant acoustic set, VR did not.

To me Scott seemed less than happy.  He had about 1/2 the energy he ever had with STP.  He was all over the stage at the Joint with STP, behind the drumkit, on it, in the crowd, the middle of the crowd, etc., etc.  Wtih VR, he barely made it to the two sides, and only came close to the left edge of the stage once.  He dove on top of me at the STP show, and sang Creep from the Crowd.  I had bad seats at the ROTR tour at the Universal Ampitheatre and he was tireless.  Hell, it seemed like he sang Plush from everywhere.  He got close to my seat, way back.  He was a madman at the Rolling Rock festival.  He was undeniable on the Much Music concert.  He was as active at this show as he was on Storytellers.

Now, did the bronchitis slow him down, or he is just not feeling it?  Many GnR forum posters are saying he looks really unhappy doing GnR songs.  He does.  He was most energetic during Crackerman (the only time he hit my side of the stage), Sex Type Thing, and Big Machine.  He even laid on the ground during the last 2 or 3 minutes of soloing in Set Me Free.

Scott at his least energetic is more magnetic than most frontmen.  But with STP, he was a force.  I don't buy into the Duff and Slash pick up his slack more theory.  He just didn't seem happy.
Must have been your show man.  He sure as hell was flying everywhere at mine: Behind the kit, slinking around stage, up on the balcony, in the crowd (where he jumped from the balcony), in the pit, etc.  Definitely full of energy, definitely sounding and looking awesome.  Being a singer, i can tell you firsthand, bronchitis is hell, and when your voice isnt on, you are more self conscious, and hesitant, making for a far less confident show.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 03:13:24 AM by Aaron »

SilvergunSuperman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 18, 2004, 02:06:42 PM »
impressive, but the beastie boys will knock them out of #1 next week.
unfortunately.  i wish the beastie boys would actually do something new.  that new single is horrible.
i like it!
no no bad bad

violentgreen

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 18, 2004, 05:47:12 PM »
Not sure if anyone here is interested in this or not but there is a discussion on slashdot about it being the first cd with copy protection to hit #1.  

It's more about the copy protection itself and it's implications (as well as bitching about them) then the cd.  Still I thought it was interesting.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 05:48:16 PM by violentgreen »
Oh yeah, that looks much sexier on you.

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 18, 2004, 06:29:28 PM »
Hell, until it was brought up here I didn't know it was copy protected.

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 18, 2004, 06:48:01 PM »
Someone from another forum asked this question in regards to VR, and I have no idea:
I thought Izzy was going to be writing songs, but he wasn't credited on any of them. I know there's no bad blood there, because they thanked him in the credits, so why didn't he write nothin' for 'em?

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 18, 2004, 06:59:12 PM »
Nevermind. Found it.

Izzy Stradlin (b. Jeff Isbel on April 8, 1962; Lafayette, IN.) is a former original member of Guns N' Roses, who has jammed with Velvet Revolver when they were doing auditions for singers and pre-production for 'Contraband'. It's still unsure if any of the songs he worked on made the final cut of the album. Izzy occasionally joins the band for gigs, as he did in 2003, when he played guitar with VR and Douglas Grean at the Smashbox Fashion show. He also appeared with Camp Freddy, the band that includes VR drummer Matt Sorum.

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 18, 2004, 07:42:49 PM »
It's a pretty simple system.  Mainly aimed at defeating the computer illiterate.

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 18, 2004, 07:47:35 PM »
Well, apparently it's working quite well.  They're selling more albums than any of us.  I don't quite understand it myself.

Anonymous

« Reply #176 on: June 18, 2004, 09:18:32 PM »
yea uh..mine..copied fine to another like 3 blank cd's...lol had to make a copy for each car ;)

violentgreen

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 18, 2004, 10:16:58 PM »
yea uh..mine..copied fine to another like 3 blank cd's...lol had to make a copy for each car ;)
Did you use windows to do it?  Unless you have autorun disabled or hold down shift while inserting the cd it'll give you issues.

I didn't even attempt to put it in my windows machine.  Does it automatically install the software without your permission or does it ask you to do it?

violentgreen

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 18, 2004, 10:18:12 PM »
I guess the demand is higher for this band/album than most realized.

It is already being said that it is going to debut at #1 next week and sell over 200,000 units.

I thought it was going to do well, but when is the last time Scott has been a part of a record selling that well?

Purple?
And it is official. Velvet Revolver Debuts at #1 with over 256,000 copies sold. Billboard.com  

Amazing and surprising since Audioslave debuted with only 162,000  in it's first week.
There was a lot more hype about this album though.  I think the audioslave album will ultimately win out.

Anonymous

« Reply #179 on: June 20, 2004, 03:15:13 PM »
yeah i used windows..that autorun thing is on..and i didnt hit shift..and I used CDEX to copy it, and i used Nero to burn straight to another CD