October 03, 2024, 07:29:25 AM

Author Topic: Contraband Album Discussion  (Read 52932 times)

everylilwhore

Re: Contraband Album Discussion
« Reply #135 on: June 11, 2004, 07:37:18 PM »
As far as this band being 10 times better than STP live - I don't need to see them to know that it's a lie.  Nothing can compare to the energy, the magic, and the force that STP live had.  Not even Slash.   :)
Once again, you cannot offer a valid opinion on something when you personally have 1. Not listened to the record or 2. Seen them live.

As for Scott and a solo record.

As long as VR is making tons of money, selling out shows and recording more material...I doubt Scott will even have the time to release a solo record.

People don't change...and as long as STP was making money and being a 'big machine' Scott seemingly had no interest in a solo record...it was only when things began to fade did that notion once again become some sort of a reality.

Money talks; especially to a businessman.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 07:37:38 PM by everylilwhore »

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #136 on: June 11, 2004, 09:03:42 PM »
...and as long as STP was making money and being a 'big machine' Scott seemingly had no interest in a solo record...it was only when things began to fade did that notion once again become some sort of a reality.
Really?  Because Tiny Music... was doing pretty well and probably would have sold more copies had Scott not cancelled the tour by going into rehab.  His solo album came before No. 4 and SLDD - that's when things began to fade for STP.

Regardless of how well VR is doing, I suspect Weiland's ego is going to take over, and another solo album will be born.

Time will tell, I suppose.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2004, 09:06:20 PM »
And Sean - that was my point, buddy.
Huh?
...the music scene IS very different.  Unfortunately, a lot of really crappy music is selling (Eminem, anyone?).  That's why I said I'm surprised a rock band was able to premire at the number one position.   :ph34r:

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
Picked Up The Album Today
« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2004, 09:08:40 PM »
From "Core" to "SLDD" there was an obvious and definite maturation in Weiland's lyrics.  From reading the new material, it almost seems like he's reverted backwards.
:lol:

It is amazing how unobjective you can be.

There are plenty of STP songs which have horrible lyrics, and there are some on the VR album that are just plain great.

Listen to the damn album you stubborn ass girl; until then, your opinion means nothing. One cannot offer a valid opinion on something they have not experienced.
I've read the lyrics, I can form an opinion based upon that.  I don't need to hear them sung in order to say that I think his writing has deterierated.  :blink:

bunbury_hmr

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2004, 10:49:54 PM »
Every Post i read when you two speak you bump heads (non sexual comment) all the time.

Oy! I need a drink!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 10:50:31 PM by bunbury_hmr »

violentgreen

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2004, 11:25:50 PM »
The lyrics are Scott at his worst...
THANK GOD.

I thought I was the only one.  Although I haven't listened to the album yet (I've only heard the two singles so far), I HAVE read the lyrics from the new VR disc, and I was very disappointed.  

From "Core" to "SLDD" there was an obvious and definite maturation in Weiland's lyrics.  From reading the new material, it almost seems like he's reverted backwards.
As far as I'm concerned, Weiland never had great lyrics.  Purple was, lyrically, very good but the other albums overall have been mediocre at best.  It was kind of downhill starting with So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade.  He's worse than a pavement album.
Oh yeah, that looks much sexier on you.

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2004, 11:28:19 PM »
GO ENGLISH!  Woooo!

getteuct

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2004, 01:24:16 AM »
whether or not you enjoy this album all depends on how you approach it.  i figured it was going to be terrible, so i listened to it with an open a mind as possible.  even so, the first listen was dissappointing, and i even laughed out loud at least once.  did anyone else notice that the second to last song is a blatant ripoff of sex type thing?  the verse section is almost identical.  and you'd think they'd avoid stuff like that....

that said, i think the beginning of the album is pretty strong, even if the music isn't too original or inspired.  big machine is the standout, i love it.  the ballads on the other hand make me cringe... keep in mind that wonderful and a song for sleeping did the same thing to me.

and i love days of the week.

SilvergunSuperman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 12, 2004, 04:22:18 PM »
You Got No Right is the best song I have heard in a longgggggg time.  Such an amazing song.  Best on the album by far.  :)
agreed! my fav on the album!

SilvergunSuperman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 12, 2004, 04:25:08 PM »
Huh?
...the music scene IS very different.  Unfortunately, a lot of really crappy music is selling (Eminem, anyone?).  That's why I said I'm surprised a rock band was able to premire at the number one position.   :ph34r:
eminem deserves every sale he makes

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #145 on: June 12, 2004, 06:26:57 PM »
Huh?
eminem deserves every sale he makes
I hope you were being sarcastic!   :o

Slim Jim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 12, 2004, 08:31:35 PM »
I know I haven't posted in a while, but man, all this whining and crying especially from STPGurl forced me to say something. STP is dead, get over it. Just cause Dean, Robbie and Kretzie aren't involved doesn't mean that VR is bad. VR is not STP so don't expect it to sound like it. VR is very good and anyway, don't cry about them being bad if you haven't even listened to the fuckin CD. Like reading the fucking lyrics is going to give you any fucking idea of how the song really is. You remind of a little girl pouting all day, in denial that her parents have split up. In your case, STP is split it up, so get fucking over it and accept the fact and move on. If you have listened to the CD and really don't like it, then stop crying about it and talk about something else. VR is here, they're good and they're not going anywhere.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream." - George W. Bush

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #147 on: June 13, 2004, 12:02:59 AM »
I know I haven't posted in a while, but man, all this whining and crying especially from STPGurl forced me to say something. STP is dead, get over it. Just cause Dean, Robbie and Kretzie aren't involved doesn't mean that VR is bad. VR is not STP so don't expect it to sound like it. VR is very good and anyway, don't cry about them being bad if you haven't even listened to the fuckin CD. Like reading the fucking lyrics is going to give you any fucking idea of how the song really is. You remind of a little girl pouting all day, in denial that her parents have split up. In your case, STP is split it up, so get fucking over it and accept the fact and move on. If you have listened to the CD and really don't like it, then stop crying about it and talk about something else. VR is here, they're good and they're not going anywhere.
I'm fully aware of the fact that STP has broken up.  
I'm also aware that by reading the lyrics, I don't get the same experience as if I would listen to the song itself.  I didn't critisize any song that I haven't heard... I said that the lyrics (in my opinion) were weak.
My reasons for NOT liking VR have nothing to do with the fact that the DeLeos and Erik aren't in the band... I don't like them because what I've heard of the band thus far doesn't impress me.

If you're entitled to your opinion... so am I.   :blink:

Anonymous

« Reply #148 on: June 13, 2004, 09:42:40 AM »
I'm selling my tickets.
Do you want a medal?
No.  Actually, I want to stir things up a bit and maybe cause a few people to second guess their opinions. Not necessarily to dissuade them, but to present a different opinion than the majority of this community in a blunt manner that might cause some to think again and form a clearer opinion.

Anonymous

« Reply #149 on: June 13, 2004, 03:48:24 PM »
lol it's great reading this and seeing all the somewhat VR 'haters' out there.  the album's great, plain and simple, even though, like slash claimed, they went for a more 'modern' route.  i don't know, i love stp 100%, and i saw VR live in Philly a few weeks back, and i'm sorry, but they fucking rock, plain and simple.  i love the album just as much as I love any STP album.  oh well, STP's broken up, so why not take the next best thing from it?  that's how I look at it.