October 03, 2024, 05:31:35 AM

Author Topic: Contraband Album Discussion  (Read 52928 times)

violentgreen

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Picked Up The Album Today
« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2004, 10:45:12 PM »
I'm not sure whether I like it or not.  I'ts enjoyable for now but I'll have to wait a few months to decide whether it's any good or not.

I think the music in a lot of the songs kind of sound like post Tiny Music STP, though it's a lot more cohesive then the last two stp albums.  

I really like the first song; it has more of a GnR feel then a lot of the rest of the album.  I also really like Fall To Pieces and Headspace too.  

I was a little pissed that they tried that copy-protection shit with the cd though.  I doubt it gave anyone problems though.  But now that they are including DRMed audio files on their cds, it means that cds can't be as long as they were before.
Oh yeah, that looks much sexier on you.

everylilwhore

« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2004, 10:48:05 PM »
I'm not sure whether I like it or not.  I'ts enjoyable for now but I'll have to wait a few months to decide whether it's any good or not.

I think the music in a lot of the songs kind of sound like post Tiny Music STP, though it's a lot more cohesive then the last two stp albums.  

I really like the first song; it has more of a GnR feel then a lot of the rest of the album.  I also really like Fall To Pieces and Headspace too.  

I was a little pissed that they tried that copy-protection shit with the cd though.  I doubt it gave anyone problems though.  But now that they are including DRMed audio files on their cds, it means that cds can't be as long as they were before.
There have been a lot of people who are having problems with it; mostly PC users from what I understand...but didn't have any trouble at all with my copy.

Popped the sucker right in, and ripped it in iTunes.

violentgreen

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2004, 03:05:44 AM »
I'm not sure whether I like it or not.  I'ts enjoyable for now but I'll have to wait a few months to decide whether it's any good or not.

I really like the first song; it has more of a GnR feel then a lot of the rest of the album.  I also really like Fall To Pieces and Headspace too.   

I was a little pissed that they tried that copy-protection shit with the cd though.  I doubt it gave anyone problems though.  But now that they are including DRMed audio files on their cds, it means that cds can't be as long as they were before.
There have been a lot of people who are having problems with it; mostly PC users from what I understand...but didn't have any trouble at all with my copy.

Popped the sucker right in, and ripped it in iTunes.
Yeah, if anyone doesn't know...  Just hold the shift button when you put it in.
Oh yeah, that looks much sexier on you.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2004, 03:50:38 AM »
im a big machine, im a big machine...

SilvergunSuperman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2004, 04:08:35 AM »
im a big machine, im a big machine...
you're mom's a big machine!

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2004, 04:54:23 AM »
Same here.
I don't love it, but I do like it.

The lyrics are Scott at his worst, yet vocally he's pretty damn good, despite being pretty damn hard to understand most of the time.

So far, too much of it feels like recycled, rejected, and reworked STP tunes.

everylilwhore

« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2004, 05:50:20 AM »
The lyrics are Scott at his worst
Are you crazy?

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2004, 07:27:44 AM »
You Got No Right is the best song I have heard in a longgggggg time.  Such an amazing song.  Best on the album by far.  :)

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2004, 01:51:07 PM »
The lyrics are Scott at his worst
Are you crazy?
Nope.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2004, 05:39:46 PM »
The lyrics are Scott at his worst...
THANK GOD.

I thought I was the only one.  Although I haven't listened to the album yet (I've only heard the two singles so far), I HAVE read the lyrics from the new VR disc, and I was very disappointed.  

From "Core" to "SLDD" there was an obvious and definite maturation in Weiland's lyrics.  From reading the new material, it almost seems like he's reverted backwards.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
Re: Contraband Album Discussion
« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2004, 05:47:11 PM »
I will go out and say that anybody that does not like what this CD does needs to play it louder and wake the fuck up. Keep dreaming for another STP record everyone. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen and if it does, it won't be for years and years. I have a feeling after this VR tour and after they support this in the summer, Scott will commence work on his 2nd solo CD. STP is long gone IMO. If Scott can continue to keep himself out of trouble, I have a good feeling VR is the real deal and will be around for at least a couple more CD's.
No.
You kind of HAVE to agree Jessie; the reports are already saying that they didnt ship enough units of the album, and re-orders are pushing the sales well into 200,000 sold in the first week and debuting at #1.

As long as Scott stays healthy, this band will be the staple for a while to come I would imagine.

Everyone I have spoken too, has also said this band is 10 times better live than STP was...now I would like to judge that one myself...but when I have people telling me that, who actually hated STP AND GNR as well as people who were crazed STP fans; I have to say that I am leaning towards believing them.
Want to know what I think?

I think Scott is going to find himself back on drugs in a jiffie.  Then, I think he's going to get completely full of himself and record another solo album.  And I think it will be amazing and horribly underrated, just like last time.  

He's been talking about another solo disc since before SLDD.  There WILL be one eventually.

Then, maybe after the record fails miserably, he will agree to record another VR album.

People don't change.

As far as this band being 10 times better than STP live - I don't need to see them to know that it's a lie.  Nothing can compare to the energy, the magic, and the force that STP live had.  Not even Slash.   :)

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2004, 05:49:11 PM »
Yes.  But something tells me that the new disc won't stay at #1 for 15 weeks like Purple did.   :)

Rawk on, though.  That's a boatload of CD's... especially considering the fact that VR isn't a boy band/rap artist.
Ya; how different is the music scene since 1994?

Oh thats right....VERY different.

My bad.

:rolleyes:
I thought Purple was only #1 for a week or so..........I know "Interstate Love Song" held some sort or record for weeks as the #1 rock track or something.
You're right, fivestar.  Shame on me for that one!   :)

And Sean - that was my point, buddy.

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2004, 06:21:41 PM »
I think Scott is going to find himself back on drugs in a jiffie.  Then, I think he's going to get completely full of himself and record another solo album.  And I think it will be amazing and horribly underrated, just like last time.  

He's been talking about another solo disc since before SLDD.  There WILL be one eventually.
I thought he already recorded it?
Wasn't it supposed to be out this spring?
I'm sure VR put it on hold for the forseeable future.
Hopefully we'll get it in a year or so, after VR is through promoting Contraband.

And I agree it'll be amazing and underrated.

everylilwhore

« Reply #133 on: June 11, 2004, 07:32:52 PM »
From "Core" to "SLDD" there was an obvious and definite maturation in Weiland's lyrics.  From reading the new material, it almost seems like he's reverted backwards.
:lol:

It is amazing how unobjective you can be.

There are plenty of STP songs which have horrible lyrics, and there are some on the VR album that are just plain great.

Listen to the damn album you stubborn ass girl; until then, your opinion means nothing. One cannot offer a valid opinion on something they have not experienced.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 07:33:25 PM by everylilwhore »

everylilwhore

« Reply #134 on: June 11, 2004, 07:34:23 PM »
And Sean - that was my point, buddy.
Huh?