October 03, 2024, 05:35:59 AM

Author Topic: Contraband Album Discussion  (Read 52929 times)

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Picked Up The Album Today
« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2004, 09:37:17 PM »
I wasn't too impressed...although I've only listened to it one time through...I've been a big fan of everything that Weiland has ever done.  Heck, my dog's name is Weiland, but I just couldn't get into this music.  We'll see if it grows on me.  I'll give it a chance, but I don't know. My first impression was that the music was weak and repetitive and that the vocals were not all that great either.  I'm gonna take it home and listen to it in a better environment and see what I think in the next few days.   Discuss...
I feel the same way you do... only I haven't picked up or listened to a copy of the album yet.  I'm not sure I plan on it.  I get the picture after the first two singles, ya know?
Thats a bad attitude to have Jessie.  Good thing you werent like that with Shangri-la dee da or you never would have listened to that album.  If you want to talk about weak singles, talk about "Days of the Week" not Slither.  

As with Shangri-la, the singles for Contraband are NOT representative of the rest of the album.  In fact I prefer most of the rest of the CD to Set Me Free and Slither.  I think there are a lot stronger songs on there, just as was the case with many STP CD's and single choices. I think you owe it to yourself to open your mind and give it a try.  But to each his own.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2004, 09:47:19 PM »
Great rock album. I agree that this was the album that Weiland wanted all along. I'm diggin' 'Big Machine' at the moment...
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
Re: Contraband Album Discussion
« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2004, 09:49:15 PM »
I guess the demand is higher for this band/album than most realized.

It is already being said that it is going to debut at #1 next week and sell over 200,000 units.

I thought it was going to do well, but when is the last time Scott has been a part of a record selling that well?

Purple?
I'm not suprised at all with the hype surrounding it...I think the big test will be it's staying power on the charts..
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2004, 10:22:04 PM »
I thought it was going to do well, but when is the last time Scott has been a part of a record selling that well?

Purple?
Yes.  But something tells me that the new disc won't stay at #1 for 15 weeks like Purple did.   :)

Rawk on, though.  That's a boatload of CD's... especially considering the fact that VR isn't a boy band/rap artist.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2004, 10:24:23 PM »
I wasn't too impressed...although I've only listened to it one time through...I've been a big fan of everything that Weiland has ever done.  Heck, my dog's name is Weiland, but I just couldn't get into this music.  We'll see if it grows on me.  I'll give it a chance, but I don't know. My first impression was that the music was weak and repetitive and that the vocals were not all that great either.  I'm gonna take it home and listen to it in a better environment and see what I think in the next few days.   Discuss...
I feel the same way you do... only I haven't picked up or listened to a copy of the album yet.  I'm not sure I plan on it.  I get the picture after the first two singles, ya know?
Thats a bad attitude to have Jessie.  Good thing you werent like that with Shangri-la dee da or you never would have listened to that album.  If you want to talk about weak singles, talk about "Days of the Week" not Slither.  

As with Shangri-la, the singles for Contraband are NOT representative of the rest of the album.  In fact I prefer most of the rest of the CD to Set Me Free and Slither.  I think there are a lot stronger songs on there, just as was the case with many STP CD's and single choices. I think you owe it to yourself to open your mind and give it a try.  But to each his own.
It probably isn't a great attitude... but I really, really, REALLY disliked both singles so far.  Good point on the "Days of the Week" thing, though - if one were to base their opinion of SLDD strictly from that single...

I'm still not going to run out and buy the thing.  Maybe I'll download it later this week and give it a listen.  Maybe.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2004, 11:49:35 PM »
So far, I both like it and dislike it at the same time.
After the first few spins, many of the songs feel disjointed and most of it feels like STP leftovers. Yet, I still like much of it.

I can't really see myself listening to it as much an STP album (or 12 Bar Blues).

And I like "Days of the Week."

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2004, 11:50:59 PM »
I was pretty surprised when I picked mine up at 8am, there were only 2 copies left.

Garrett

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2004, 12:03:52 AM »

more importantly, my dog is named "layne" so it seems the memory of the late, great layne staley is living on in domestic animals.
haha...awesome.

Anonymous

« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2004, 03:31:55 AM »
I'm selling my tickets.

everylilwhore

« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2004, 07:09:46 AM »
Yes.  But something tells me that the new disc won't stay at #1 for 15 weeks like Purple did.   :)

Rawk on, though.  That's a boatload of CD's... especially considering the fact that VR isn't a boy band/rap artist.
Ya; how different is the music scene since 1994?

Oh thats right....VERY different.

My bad.

:rolleyes:

bunbury_hmr

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2004, 10:47:21 AM »
Leaked It Has
Why are you talking like Yoda?
Man i hate those damn "Warsies"... i feel like going Axl Rose on their Ass if i saw them in Public.
Bring it on little kid! :angry:
 :D

(and where the fuck did you get "Warsies" from?)
I thought you knew?
Some Star War Fans sometimes call themselfs "Warsies".
Im a Kid? What the Fuck? According to your File you are Four years older than me! hahaha. What am i supposed to call you Old Man just because of that? ;)

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2004, 01:51:31 PM »
Leaked It Has
Why are you talking like Yoda?
Man i hate those damn "Warsies"... i feel like going Axl Rose on their Ass if i saw them in Public.
Bring it on little kid! :angry:
 :D

(and where the fuck did you get "Warsies" from?)
I thought you knew?
Some Star War Fans sometimes call themselfs "Warsies".
Im a Kid? What the Fuck? According to your File you are Four years older than me! hahaha. What am i supposed to call you Old Man just because of that? ;)
Well no respectable fans called themselves that.
That would be like the people here calling themselves Stonies or some crap.  :D

And because I'm older than you, I can call you kid...
and you should respect your elders...
and...

and I've got nothing.
 :)

everylilwhore

« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2004, 03:38:16 PM »
I'm selling my tickets.
Do you want a medal?

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2004, 05:03:07 PM »
Yes.  But something tells me that the new disc won't stay at #1 for 15 weeks like Purple did.   :)

Rawk on, though.  That's a boatload of CD's... especially considering the fact that VR isn't a boy band/rap artist.
Ya; how different is the music scene since 1994?

Oh thats right....VERY different.

My bad.

I thought Purple was only #1 for a week or so..........I know "Interstate Love Song" held some sort or record for weeks as the #1 rock track or something.
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

bunbury_hmr

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2004, 06:36:49 PM »
I can honestly tell you i have no freaking idea why people like that would call themselfs that. I find it very Dungeons & Dragons sort of Game that they play with each other. I dont know why either why they nickname themselfs that, im sure they could have gone with a better name; i just heard they call themselfs that.
Well i dont want to sound rude but at first i thought you were like 18 or atleast 20 until i checked your profile, but it wouldnt change anything about you you are one of the cool guys in this board that have something cool to say here.... an dont hold your breath upon me calling you something more out of respect because of your age ;).
I wouldnt want to 'Nick' myself a Stonie, Tempie, or a Pilot at all i would just say im a fan an nothing more, yes i find it embarrasing to deminish a name like that but again they gave themselfs their own (meaning those kids with the Star Wars "trivial" knowledge).