September 25, 2024, 10:21:54 AM

Author Topic: STP is not as good as it used to be  (Read 12198 times)

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: STP is not as good as it used to be
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 04:53:16 PM »
Hey...everybody has their moments. There are days that i don't wanna chat with people. I'm taking my 15 year old to the Cincinnati show next month and will try to see them as they leave...but, if i don't it will be no biggie.
\'I\'m not paranoid...everyone is just out to get me!\'

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 05:09:10 PM »
The jams got a little annoying when I saw them back at the Memphis show in April, but there were a few that were worthy of being turned into full songs so it wasn't too bad. And as cliche as it sounds, I'm just happy to have the band around still playing, even if they're not of the same caliber as they were.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 05:21:51 PM »
I've seen STP twice since the reunion, and i just honestly dont understand how someone could walk away from one of their shows disappointed or bored or unfulfilled. Their shows are a complete shock to the senses and they bring it every time. I've seen tons of other bands live, in their primes, and STP always blows them out of the water.

The one thing i will say is, i never saw STP before the reunion, when they were "in their prime" because i was too young in my musical endeavors, and while i wish i had, i dont think i'd enjoy their shows today any less. Scott is somehow still alive and voice still somehow on point, the music is tight, the light show is great, they bring a fucking fan onto stage to start the encore

Sure, it would be nice if they switched up the setlist and played more of the B-sides but unfortunately not every STP fan is as loyal and crazed as we are and regularly listen to songs like Adhesive and Bi-Polar Bear. And i think they learned that when people would take piss breaks when they played Seven Caged Tigers and Too Cool Queenie in '08.

This summer, they've been the only live act worth seeing. I'm fine with STP just the way they are, thank you very much.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

emerick55

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 05:29:35 PM »
Funny, I think ISL is the song that is sung the worse since the reunion.

Look, in the 20 years Scott has been singing, he changed his style quite often. People change and get old. Would you prefer he stay home and play Jenga?

I've seen them 5 times since the reuinion and the only bad song that needed to be dropped was Sour Girl. But IMO, he never could hit that one quite right live even before the breakup.

I agree - ILS is not a song I like to hear live any more.  They slowed it down, Scott's vocals just quite aren't up to par, and it just loses it's mystique to me when I see them live nowadays.  Also, I am hugely disappointed that they have slowed down the tempos on many of the songs.  se la vi.

crackerman33

• Flight Attendant
  • "This is the song with no words"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 05:30:09 PM »
Well this post has defintely brought out the lamest fan comments I've read on this site.

Im sorry that they can't cater to your needs and sing the songs exactly like you hear them through your stereo. Imagine singing the same songs for 10 or 20 years, wouldn't you want to change it up a little?

And for a band that usually gets ripped on for running through similar set lists, at least the jamming breaks away from that and usually are really cool. You cant sell me that the 'vibe' or 'flow' is ruined.

I've seen them over a dozen times since 1994 and yea it sucks seeing a band get old but what can you do? At least be glad that after all crap they've been through we still have the opportunity to see them.

And for Rocker Rockstar.....why dont you just pump some crowd noise over your CD's and stay home.

rocker rockstar

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 05:51:47 PM »
I still enjoy the shows.  I think I enjoyed the longer shows better the last one was pretty short and they did way too much jamming when they could have played more songs.   You are entitled to your opinion.  I will be happy when Scott starts singing the songs better and they start playing less jams.  It would be better if they played the tempos faster instead of slowing them down.  Maybe they will get that fire back someday. 

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 06:52:27 PM »

Sure, it would be nice if they switched up the setlist and played more of the B-sides but unfortunately not every STP fan is as loyal and crazed as we are and regularly listen to songs like Adhesive and Bi-Polar Bear. And i think they learned that when people would take piss breaks when they played Seven Caged Tigers and Too Cool Queenie in '08.

I disagree with this. EVERY band plays album cuts, b-sides, the non-popular tracks at their shows. That is the norm. So what if the casual fan walks out during 7CT or TCQ. I want to see those songs! The problem is that STP in general have catered to the casual fans for YEARS. I heard the same songs last Friday night that I heard back in 2000. (With the exception of tracks from the new album)
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 06:54:55 PM »
The whole thing has taken on an almost Vegas style production.  All very calculated, very pre-produced.  Lacking the spontaneity and maniacal nature of them in their prime.

I agree wholeheartedly. I still enjoyed the show without question, but it definitely feeled more produced then the shows in their prime.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 11:19:32 PM »
Well this post has defintely brought out the lamest fan comments I've read on this site.

Im sorry that they can't cater to your needs and sing the songs exactly like you hear them through your stereo. Imagine singing the same songs for 10 or 20 years, wouldn't you want to change it up a little?

And for a band that usually gets ripped on for running through similar set lists, at least the jamming breaks away from that and usually are really cool. You cant sell me that the 'vibe' or 'flow' is ruined.

I've seen them over a dozen times since 1994 and yea it sucks seeing a band get old but what can you do? At least be glad that after all crap they've been through we still have the opportunity to see them.

And for Rocker Rockstar.....why dont you just pump some crowd noise over your CD's and stay home.

This
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

rocker rockstar

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 12:40:58 AM »
I'm just happy to have the band around still playing, even if they're not of the same caliber as they were.

I agree.  I am still very happy that STP is back and playing music.  I really enjoy the music they make.  I liked the new record and am excited for the next one too. 

rocker rockstar

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 12:46:48 AM »
I saw them tonight and agree with you on all counts.  Especially the little jams in between songs.  It was so obnoxious and kill the energy.  I wouldn't think anything of it if they did it once, but they probably did it six times.  They could fit two more songs in place of time spent fucking around.  They looked bored, and I was often bored.

That is exactly how I felt at the last STP show I saw last friday.  I normally would not bitch about this type of thing but I have seen them do it many times and I just don't understand why STP continues to do this.  It is not very entertaining and a disappointment.

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 12:52:55 AM »
As far as complaining about autographs, ever think that they might have been tired after playing a whole concert and maybe wanted to relax?  Nobody made you hang out around their trailers and bug them.   *coughSTANeminemsong*cough

BrandoKommando

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2011, 01:37:41 AM »
WTF?

How do I put this...

I have seen STP fifteen times.  Five of these shows were before the reunion.  So I think I can give an
opinion of some value here.  This is just my view...

1.  If you're going to see a band live and expect to hear the said band's CD?  Sorry for your luck. 
I personally enjoy hearing Scott change up the lyrics from time to time.  Having a band like STP add an extra drum note here, or an extra lyric there is called "improvisation".  You won't find me complaining about Eric's drum roll into each verse of "Sex Type Thing".  Yup.  It's not on the CD.  But to me, it's f-in' cool.  If I wanna hear the song like it was on the CD, I'll listen to the damn CD.  I think it's awesome when Scott belts out a lyric or wails a word during a song.  Some of these tunes are
songs they've been playing for many years.  These tunes have evolved and grown just like the band members themselves.  Dean never used to play the synth notes at the end of the guitar solo in "Trippin".  Now he does.  This is one of the reasons I enjoy seeing STP live.  Just when you think they've played a song to death one way, they change it up just enough to make a fan like me say..... "Whoa!" 

2.  At the Grand Rapids show last week, STP busted into a few "jam sessions".  Yeah, they could have taken the time and combined it to play another tune I know and love.  But come on'.  I know all of STP's music.  I know all their songs just like any other fan.  But when they decide to to a "jam" on the fly?  As a hard-core STP fan, this is when my ears really perk-up.  They play what they feel in that particular moment.  They feed off of each others talent.  They look around and smile, and in that very instant, if you look and listen close enough - you'll get it.  If you have no idea what I'm talking about or are unwilling to see and hear what I speak of.... I will gladly take your tickets to the next STP show if you don't want em'.

3.  If you want to come and complain about STP on this site, knock yourself out.  Just be prepared for replies like this one.  I've driven 140 miles one-way to see STP perform a hand-full of songs when they opened up for the RHCP'S in 99'.  STP was playing live.  That's all that mattered to me.  If you're pissed that they didn't play the song you wanted to hear, cry all you want.  We've all felt that way at a concert at one time or another.  But for me, STP could play "Crackerman" ten times in a row at a show, with jam sessions in-between.

And I would be right there, as close to the stage as I could get yelling, "Play it again!"

-Brandon

« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 01:40:17 AM by BrandoKommando »
"I was a SUPERMAN, but looks are deceiving."  - Scott Weiland

shapy

• nice to know me
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2011, 01:45:36 AM »
@Brandon

Dude, well fucking put! Thank you for saying that, so now I don't have to. Just had my 19th STP concert (7 prior to reunion '08) and I feel the exact same way.
have fun, have fun, have a whole lot of fun!

BrandoKommando

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2011, 01:49:16 AM »
@Brandon

Dude, well fucking put! Thank you for saying that, so now I don't have to. Just had my 19th STP concert (7 prior to reunion '08) and I feel the exact same way.

Shapy,

Thanks man.  Normally I don't respond to threads like this one.  But once I read this stuff, I just had to.
Don't be hatin' on the boys.  If you don't like em' live, stand aside son.  One less body I have to deal with
when trying to catch Eric's drum-head. 

Hahaha!

-Brandon
"I was a SUPERMAN, but looks are deceiving."  - Scott Weiland