October 03, 2024, 07:21:15 AM

Author Topic: 2011-09-11 - Albany, NY - Palace Theatre  (Read 7096 times)

scottieslittlesoftie

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • STONED M*F* PILOTS - Tribute To The Stone Temple Pilots
2011-09-11 - Albany, NY - Palace Theatre
« on: July 29, 2011, 06:41:24 PM »
Who's going?  I'm there.

crackerman33

• Flight Attendant
  • "This is the song with no words"
    • View Profile
Re: 2011-09-11 - Albany, NY - Palace Theatre
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 03:39:23 AM »
Definitely going...missed pre-sale now trying every connection I have to get seats within first 20 rows.

laura

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Too Cool Queenie
    • View Profile
I am
Trampled under sole of another man's shoes
Guess I walked too softly.--S. Weiland

darkling74

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 08:22:46 PM »
It was actually 10:35 when Scott walked out shaking a pair of maracas. Things were starting to get a little hairy in the theater during the wait. A few different fights broke out and cops were called in to remove people. And word was spreading around the theater, because of some radio DJs that were there, that the show might not actually happen because Weiland was MIA. And then of course people being people started to mutter about all of the cracker houses that are on Clinton Ave, where the theater is located.

After STP played a couple of songs Scott announced that he had been stuck in traffic trying to get out of NYC. The odd bit was the whole time he was telling his story he was using an English accent. I'm kind of a sucker so I would love to believe him. I may be a bit blinded by my love for the man. Who knows?

Once they did get started it was kind of a mixed bag. Scott's vocals were hit and miss but his energy was amazing. The band, minus Kretz, all seemed to get along and goof around a bit on stage. At one point Scott tried to help Dean plug in his guitar after a change and Dean slid Scott's hand down to make him cup his genitals. Scott was really talkitive as well. He told the story about Rolling Stone magazine's article about our generation of rock being for people who thought for themselves. He told a few other stories as well but he was a little hard to understand sometimes. As Scott was leaving the stage at the end of the show he said something   like "I wasn't sure about you guys earlier but you're really great". The band did end up playing until almost midnight so it was pretty much a full set.

I've seen STP many times as well as Scott solo and with VR and I know when I buy a ticket I'm kind of taking a chance but being a fan I don't mind. Most of the time the payoff is worth the wait for me. Last night the few hours wait was worth the show he put on. I haven't seen him with that much energy at any of the shows I've been to on this tour. Sadly it didn't appear to be that way for most of the other patrons. There was a lot of heckling being yelled at the stage from the area I was in and there was a steady stream of people walking out within the first half hour they were on stage. By half way through the show at least 25% of the orchestra had walked out. After the show while leaving the theater instead of hearing praise for the band all you could really hear were complaints from people.

It was really just an odd night overall. The tardiness of the show kind of set up a bad vibe in the theater. I think, and this is just my opinion, that Scott put forth a lot more effort to make up for his being late though. His energy was really kind of amazing.

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 08:43:51 PM »
It's hard to tell I guess.  Only because the entire past two STP tours they've been pretty good with hitting the stage on time or within reasonable time.  Being the night before was in Newark, I'm sure Scott stuck around NYC for the evening (he loves his NYC vibe). 

Getting out of NYC on 9/11/11 I'm sure wasn't pretty.  But even if he stayed in NYC overnight he had a full day to travel what 3 hours?  Historically yeah there's always something in the back of your mind when you try to estimate what the set start time will be for any show Weiland does, but he has kept it pretty much in check with STP shows for a good while now.

The thing that matters is if they played pretty much a full set and gave it (atleast seemingly) their all.  If people left after the band came on and were rocking along then that's just silly on their part but hey they choose what they want with their $$$ I guess.  And hell it leaves more space in the orchestra for the true fans to enjoy.

As for the idiot hecklers.  Some people just have no compassion and think it's funny to throw someone's faults/past errors in their faces.  Thing is, those hecklers are usually buzzed off their asses on Coors Light which (while isn't exactly hard drugs) they fail to see the irony of anonyomously flinging comments about another person's vices.

What ticks me off most is how quick the whispering goes around that Scott is a no-show, or they can't find him, or he supposedly got busted.  I guess it comes with the terrirtory but that stuff gets around like wildfire the second there's even a slight delay in an STP performance.

Sounds like you were atleast able to take positive out of the concert, so cheers to yoiu!
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

laura

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Too Cool Queenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 09:44:08 PM »
Thanks for the honest review, Darkling74.  I am amazed at how much can change from night to night with these guys.  Well...guy.  But it sounds like it was a decent show overall, and I'm glad you had a good time.  Sucks about the audience, though.  I can't believe people would leave after STP came on.  Oh well, like CritterTypeThing said, it leaves more room for fans like us.  Funny about the English accent.  I think some others here have noticed it at times as well.  I wonder what's up with that?  Madonna does it, too...haha.
I am
Trampled under sole of another man's shoes
Guess I walked too softly.--S. Weiland

darkling74

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 09:57:18 PM »
It's hard to tell I guess.  Only because the entire past two STP tours they've been pretty good with hitting the stage on time or within reasonable time.  Being the night before was in Newark, I'm sure Scott stuck around NYC for the evening (he loves his NYC vibe). 

Getting out of NYC on 9/11/11 I'm sure wasn't pretty.  But even if he stayed in NYC overnight he had a full day to travel what 3 hours?  Historically yeah there's always something in the back of your mind when you try to estimate what the set start time will be for any show Weiland does, but he has kept it pretty much in check with STP shows for a good while now.

The thing that matters is if they played pretty much a full set and gave it (atleast seemingly) their all.  If people left after the band came on and were rocking along then that's just silly on their part but hey they choose what they want with their $$$ I guess.  And hell it leaves more space in the orchestra for the true fans to enjoy.

As for the idiot hecklers.  Some people just have no compassion and think it's funny to throw someone's faults/past errors in their faces.  Thing is, those hecklers are usually buzzed off their asses on Coors Light which (while isn't exactly hard drugs) they fail to see the irony of anonyomously flinging comments about another person's vices.

What ticks me off most is how quick the whispering goes around that Scott is a no-show, or they can't find him, or he supposedly got busted.  I guess it comes with the terrirtory but that stuff gets around like wildfire the second there's even a slight delay in an STP performance.

Sounds like you were atleast able to take positive out of the concert, so cheers to yoiu!

Their was a large portion of the crowd who were an inconsiderate bunch to begin with. The longer the wait the more drunk they became and no matter how hard Scott tried to make up for his lateness they were going to be spoilsports, and boy did he try. I was just so pleased to have heard Silvergun Superman and Big Bang Baby.

One of my pet peeves is people who yell obscenities at the opening acts. Why show such disrespect to a group of people who are trying their best to keep you entertained while you wait? If you don't dig what their doing just sit there and be quiet. It's a half hour or whatever out of your night that you would have had to wait for the main act anyway. The band last night took quite the beating from a large portion of the audience. Truth be told, while they weren't my cup of tea, they weren't horrible. Last night people were just looking for a reason to be pissy. It was just bad vibes everywhere.

The rumors spreading really was a shame. Humans are what they are though and it's in our nature to gossip, as sad as it is. People ignore the whole "glass houses" thing.

pjstp

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 12:33:48 AM »
This review makes me angry: http://grungereport.net/?p=7342

STP: 2/19/2011 - Thackerville, OK; 4/30/2011 - Birmingham, AL; 8/16/2011 - Austin, TX; 8/17/2011 - Dallas, TX; 11/5/2011 - Concho, OK
SW: 3/27/2013 - Dallas, TX; 4/30/2014 - Dallas, TX; 5/3/2014 - Little Rock, AR; 9/20/2014 - Shreveport, LA; 11/9/2015 - Dallas, TX

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 01:02:15 AM »
Interesting.  Looks like STP blows through 15 songs in their set.  Check out Pearl Jam's set.  25 songs.  Who's getting their money's worth.  WTF, guys. 

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 01:06:12 AM »
Interesting.  Looks like STP blows through 15 songs in their set.  Check out Pearl Jam's set.  25 songs.  Who's getting their money's worth.  WTF, guys. 

Pearl Jam is overrated, boring crap.  I don't give a shit about any of Pearl Jam's songs so hearing 25 of them doesn't make it any more appealing. 

ntslash

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 03:10:37 AM »

Pearl Jam is overrated, boring crap.  I don't give a shit about any of Pearl Jam's songs so hearing 25 of them doesn't make it any more appealing.

Remember when Plush came out and everyone thought it was a Pearl Jam song?

Seriously though, I'd much rather see PJ than STP these days. I've seen some fine STP shows back in the day, but they will never equal what they were. At least at a PJ show I might get a surprise or two or three.

Humble Kidney Pie

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Hold on to something still.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 01:51:55 PM »

Remember when Plush came out and everyone thought it was a Pearl Jam song?

Seriously though, I'd much rather see PJ than STP these days. I've seen some fine STP shows back in the day, but they will never equal what they were. At least at a PJ show I might get a surprise or two or three.

No need to bring that in here.  If you prefer Pearl Jam music go to a PJ show, same thing with STP.  And the PLush comment?  Really?  What is this, 1993?
Picked a song, sang a yellow nectarine.

hawk900

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 04:36:57 PM »
 Amen PearlJ I think there's only one song I like that you here on the radio all the time that has a good lead to it.  They never did it for me back in the day and never seemed to generate band energy  power on stage.  There shows seem to blah along like BenStein .
  Back in the day it was Alice,Nirvanna,SG and STP for me.  Saw PJ 7 times and also I'm not big on singers who yodel to carry their the ends of their last word of verses etc.
  On a side note just compare the amount of Scott live shows to Vedder's in both their careers.  Even with all the troubles the man had we all know who is the MAN!!!!.

hawk900

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 04:41:42 PM »
 As far as the crowd crazyness !!!!! that's good ol Albany,NY    Seen tonnes of show there.  Thanks for the Clinton Ave. houses tip.  Might have to pop in next time in town.  LOL
   Great to hear the band's havin fun and in my personal opinion Scott's vocal techniques and power are far more advanced than 93.

ntslash

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 01:46:45 PM »

No need to bring that in here.  If you prefer Pearl Jam music go to a PJ show, same thing with STP.  And the PLush comment?  Really?  What is this, 1993?

The Plush comment was clearly a joke. Sorry that you didn't get it. I much prefer STP's music to PJ's music, but STP shows are boring these days. It's the same 15 songs every night, and they don't sound as good as they used to. PJ played over 30 songs the other night, and they had Chris Cornell join up with them for a little Temple of the Dog thing. Glen Hansard was there as well. When was the last time STP had a special guest with them? Was it when the guy from Linkin Park came out? Wow, that's cool.

Seriously, I love STP and would much rather listen to their music than PJ, but STP shows just have nothing special to them anymore.

And why would anyone go see a band 7 times if they don't like the singer's voice?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 01:50:18 PM by ntslash »