July 01, 2024, 10:25:18 AM

Author Topic: 2011-09-07 - Niagara Falls, NY - The Rapids Theatre  (Read 7518 times)

tommygunn

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
2011-09-07 - Niagara Falls, NY - The Rapids Theatre
« on: July 26, 2011, 09:08:15 PM »
Will be there..  8)

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
Re: 2011-09-07 - Niagara Falls, NY - The Rapids Theatre
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 09:44:20 PM »
Will be there..  8)

Havn't seen you around these parts in awhile. Welcome back!

Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

tommygunn

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 06:00:20 PM »
Havn't seen you around these parts in awhile. Welcome back!

Thanks bro!  :)

laura

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Too Cool Queenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 04:23:27 PM »
Just a brief mention:

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/good-morning-buffalo/article547535.ece

"Meanwhile, bouncing back from the abyss of overindulgence is Scott Weiland, frontman for a rejuvenated edition of the '90s hard rock band Stone Temple Pilots. Buoyed by a new album and successful tour dates, they're due in the Rapids Theatre, 1711 Main St., Niagara Falls, for a 7:30 p.m. show."
I am
Trampled under sole of another man's shoes
Guess I walked too softly.--S. Weiland

jno

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 05:06:13 AM »
Just got back from the show.  Rose Hill Drive was already on stage when I got there at 7:45.  STP hit the stage at about 9:35 -- crowd was getting a little restless.  Setlist was the norm -- but with one notable exception, a LONG jam after Hickory Dichotomy that turned into a full-out song from Scott.  No clue what it was or if they've been doing it on other shows on this part of a tour.  Toward the end, it looked like Rob had trouble with his earpiece.  It was almost as if the jam/song was supposed to go a bit longer, but they couldn't finish it like they wanted to. 

The guys were all on point tonight.  Scott was much more animated than normal.  Much more so than in Rochester in May.  He was all over the place -- dancing and talking to the crowd after just about every song.  Highlights included him saying he's "looking forward to working on another album" during his intro to Between the Lines and then Dean taking the mic later in the set and making a "confession."  It turns out he, Robert and Eric were the reason they came on late.  Dean said, "Scott normally takes the heat for things like this, but it was us tonight."  He then alluded to them running into delays at the USA/Canada border on their way to the venue. 

Another highlight -- during another impromptu jam session later in the set, the subject of marriage came up.  Scott said something about Rob's second wife and that it takes a lot of work to make a marriage work.  Rob then replied -- "and we all know something about that, the four of us have been married for 20 years!"

Scott's other memorable rant was about how they were part of the last great music revolution.  He named Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and the Smashing Pumpkins as their contemporaries and said that bands today just don't have it. 

All in all a great show -- venue sat about 1500 or so and it was filled to the brim.  Every time we get to see the boys it's a treat and tonight they delivered. 

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 05:36:49 AM »
Awesome review jno! Sounds like a great time...makes me wish STP was coming around my neck of the woods sometime soon
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Humble Kidney Pie

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Hold on to something still.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 06:02:21 AM »
Way to show respect to your contemporaries, Scotty!  Reminds me of my dream STP-AiC co-headline tour that only happens in my dreams.
Picked a song, sang a yellow nectarine.

shapy

• nice to know me
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 06:58:14 AM »
Hell yea! That is a great review and really interesting banter they're having lately...

Dead & Bloated?
have fun, have fun, have a whole lot of fun!

jno

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 12:38:58 PM »
Dead and Bloated happened along with Trippin'.....I forgot to mention this last night, but before Trippin' started, Scott mentioned that Eric had written most of the music. (as I'm sure most of us knew)  He said he had an offer for Eric...he could sing or play drums.  He chose drums. 

Another small piece I forgot last night.  During the jam session in the later part of the show, Rob took the lead and started playing a pretty funky riff.  Scott was dancing along with it and turned to the crowd and said -- "You see, this guy holds back -- he's good." 

There was also another between song banter where Scott asked Dean why they became a "punk band" whenever they played a club show.  I'm not sure what prompted it. 

I think that covers just about all of it between my two posts.  Again -- great venue, great show.  I hope that over the next few days some videos surface to show how animated Scott was and perhaps some of the banter that I got to see last night. 

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 12:50:36 PM »
How amazing would be that Eric actually sings trippin' one of these days during on a show?
Seems like you left me when you broke down

jno

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 02:04:42 PM »
An addendum to my first post -- before Big Bang Baby, Scott said he was kind of like Robert's second wife, which prompted the talk about the four of them being married. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-16TuJiQbc

There are several other videos already posted from last night as well.  It looks like they were shot from the balcony. 

Big Empty and part of the mystery interlude --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpI4T4mAjJw

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 02:57:48 PM »
Scott's other memorable rant was about how they were part of the last great music revolution.  He named Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and the Smashing Pumpkins as their contemporaries and said that bands today just don't have it. 

I am sure he left Pearl Jam out on purpose lol.... Ya Scott has been on fire lately, completely coherent, and healthy.  A great atmosphere for the band to be in before a busy year next year. Hopefully it lasts.
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

Chewals

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 03:31:09 PM »
Not the best performance of BBB...what the fuck is up with the low bowie thing? But I really do like the grit of Scott's voice in this...

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 03:52:49 PM »
Wow!  Im ridiculously excited for the Cincinnati show!  The band looks even hotter and spot on then they did in July! I'm loving this!  It really looks like they're actually enjoying themselves!
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

shapy

• nice to know me
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 05:55:28 PM »
This is all just awesomeness!!!

What a remarkable band STP has become.
have fun, have fun, have a whole lot of fun!