September 20, 2024, 08:08:39 AM

Author Topic: Happy 10th Year Anniversary SLDD!!  (Read 17024 times)

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 10th Year Anniversary SLDD!!
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2011, 09:08:08 PM »
Hello, it's late is the best Stone Temple Pilots track. It's not amazing, goes beyond that ;)
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2011, 09:09:46 PM »
I always pictured this tune live would be epic
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2011, 09:16:54 PM »
I always pictured this tune live would be epic
Knowing that it was indeed played live once and NO ONE recorded it depresses me
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2011, 04:47:32 AM »
He just got the cd so the greatness of that tune prob. went over his head. 

Good point. Plus for myself, it had a personal meaning behind it. So for myself, it was love at first listen.

Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2011, 04:58:19 AM »
"Hello It's Late" "Bi Polar Bear" and "Long Way Home" are pretty good, but not amazing.   

Speak for yourself. Amazing track. One of my favorite STP tracks off all-time.

I'm glad to see that you finally got around to getting the album! I feel it's definitely their most overlooked and underappreciated album.

He'll come around. Hello it's Late took me a couple spins to appreciate as well. Now it's one of my favorite STP tunes, and probably top 3 off Shangri, definitely an acquired taste
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2011, 05:32:08 AM »
One of my favorite lyrics is "if you hold your breath under water you will rise to the surface."

Hold your breath underwater
And know you'll rise to the surface slowly

SLDD isn't my favorite album, but I still say its their best.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2011, 06:11:24 AM »
One of my favorite lyrics is "if you hold your breath under water you will rise to the surface."

For the record, I probably only know about 40% of Scott's actual lyrics( I always interpret them differently).  I got the overall message though, plus it was only my first real listen lol  TBH I don't even remember what song it's from  :o :-[ ;D

Also to the others, I never said "Hello, It's Late" is bad, I just don't go ape-shit for like some of you do ;D    (this is all tounge-in-cheek as a SLDD-newbie...I'm just ribbing you guys not trying to be a total jerk.)

And Rob and Dean (of course) sound great on this album.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 06:44:41 AM by Casual »

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2011, 02:57:45 PM »

For the record, I probably only know about 40% of Scott's actual lyrics( I always interpret them differently).  I got the overall message though, plus it was only my first real listen lol  TBH I don't even remember what song it's from  :o :-[ ;D

Also to the others, I never said "Hello, It's Late" is bad, I just don't go ape-shit for like some of you do ;D    (this is all tounge-in-cheek as a SLDD-newbie...I'm just ribbing you guys not trying to be a total jerk.)

And Rob and Dean (of course) sound great on this album.

Those lyrics from Black Again. One of my favorites off of the album. lol

I personally think this album has some of the band's best work in it, actually. Maybe the end product isn't as memorable or 'epic' as older albums, but they really hit a stride on the composition in this album.

Not to mention, I think it actually has Kretz's best work on drums.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2011, 03:35:48 PM »
I could never get into Bi-polar Bear, as much as I tried I just dont dig that song, theres something about it that gives me a headache.

It always bothered me how the solo at the end of Long Way Home is faded out so quick.  Everytime I listen to that tune I crank it at the end so I can hear Deans solo all the way until its muted.

Whale lover is going to have to give Shangri a few more spins to really get into it.
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2011, 04:42:17 PM »
It always bothered me how the solo at the end of Long Way Home is faded out so quick.  Everytime I listen to that tune I crank it at the end so I can hear Deans solo all the way until its muted.

same here. Always thought it would have been cool if they had released a full 'unedited' verison as a bside or something.
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

Silver guns and Candybars

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2011, 07:14:35 PM »
And, Silverguns and Candy Bars, I like "Regeneration."  8) The chorus is really cool and the song seems to be one of the more fast-paced, harder songs of the album.

Overall, I'd probably give the album a B- maybe C+.  I don't think this has their strongest songs.   I still think Scott did a pretty good job lyrically.  One of my favorite lyrics is "if you hold your breath under water you will rise to the surface."  I'd say this album is maybe better than Libertad, but I think the S/T album from STP rocks harder and has catchier songs.

+1 for the Regeneration love.
SLDD is easily their best album artistically.
Just keep listening to it, get's better with every listen

pjstp

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2011, 09:44:48 PM »
And, Silverguns and Candy Bars, I like "Regeneration."  8) The chorus is really cool and the song seems to be one of the more fast-paced, harder songs of the album.

Overall, I'd probably give the album a B- maybe C+.  I don't think this has their strongest songs.   I still think Scott did a pretty good job lyrically.  One of my favorite lyrics is "if you hold your breath under water you will rise to the surface."  I'd say this album is maybe better than Libertad, but I think the S/T album from STP rocks harder and has catchier songs.

+1 for the Regeneration love.
SLDD is easily their best album artistically.
Just keep listening to it, get's better with every listen

I also agree, while SLDD is not my favorite, musically it is their best, and Regeneration has really grown on me, it's one of my favorites out of all of their songs now.
STP: 2/19/2011 - Thackerville, OK; 4/30/2011 - Birmingham, AL; 8/16/2011 - Austin, TX; 8/17/2011 - Dallas, TX; 11/5/2011 - Concho, OK
SW: 3/27/2013 - Dallas, TX; 4/30/2014 - Dallas, TX; 5/3/2014 - Little Rock, AR; 9/20/2014 - Shreveport, LA; 11/9/2015 - Dallas, TX

The Action Girls

• The ORIGINAL Melody Man
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Is she fighting for air?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2011, 08:57:13 PM »
Hello everyone, been a while.

I started listening to the whole album again just last week and I can't believe how amazing it is. Each song, while different, kinda flows together almost perfectly. I still consider "Days of the Week" the best first radio single while "Coma" or "Wonderful" should've followed suit. That's just my opinion. My favorite songs from this album always seemed to change, but the one that remains the most consistent is "Long Way Home". It's just a perfect last song. The album starts with hard rock and ends with hard rock, which is funny considering most of the middle is filled with somber, melodic songs. I don't know how the guys did it, but they took the sound of the previous 4 albums and layed them all in 13, excellent tracks. The birth of his son definitely inspired Weiland to write some of his best.

Now, it's not as solid as say, Purple or Core, but with your first couple listens, it keeps you guessing as to what's next as each track progresses, which is what I really like about this album. If anybody wanted to know the perfect amalgamation of their sound and the best album to represent STP as a whole, I would tell them to listen to Shangri-LA DEE DA.
Back for another one

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2011, 10:06:45 PM »
This was the last album I got (aside from S/T), and I listened to it once and put it on the shelf for a while.  Finally I got around to listening to it more and it's really developed into one of my favorites.  It's so intricate and deep, and I really dig it.  They didnt disappoint on this one
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

Mabby

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/mattmabe
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2011, 11:01:32 PM »
Oh man, what memories!

Anyone remember the little trailer on the .com website to promote SLDD before it came out? It had a little sound clip of Regeneration and flashes of the artwork and some lyrics like, "Hold your breath underwater" and "Is she fighting for air?" I loved that and it got me so excited!

I actually bought it at Wal-Mart at midnight the day it came out, and my brother and I drove around dark country roads for a while and listened to the whole record twice, and we loved it. I still do. I wish they would put it out on vinyl.

Standouts on the initial listen were Coma, Wonderful and Bi-Polar Bear. I love the whole album. I still think Wonderful is one of the best pieces of music ever.