September 20, 2024, 07:36:52 AM

Author Topic: Happy 10th Year Anniversary SLDD!!  (Read 17014 times)

JohnL

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Light My Way
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 10th Year Anniversary SLDD!!
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2011, 12:06:48 AM »
STPGurl - What did you think of Bi Polar Bear live? Did they play any extra samples or loops over the pa?

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2011, 03:26:23 AM »
^Oh, gosh! That was a decade ago - what I DO remember was that it was part of the acoustic set - Scott sat on a stool and played guitar while wearing a towel on his head - and it made me cry :). I don't think any extras were played, as it was all acoustic - but my memory isn't good enough to tell you for sure. I also remember I was wearing red pleather pants - oh, if only I could squeeze into those again! Haha. 
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2011, 08:07:56 PM »
And ironically, this record also has my least fav STP song: Regeneration. But I found it out months later.

YOU BASTARD  >:(
I don't get why so many people here lack interest for Regeneration? is it not polished enough for you all?
The lyrics are ever so sweet and the bass line grooves like no other.
I love the lyrics, like I said, SLDD has the best in its entirely. However, Regeneration may be my least favorite but it does not mean I do not like it, I just enjoy it less. I guess my biggest issue with the song is the chorus.

DING! DING! DING! DING!

I just never dug it. The opening is cool, but that's really it.

Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2011, 09:29:08 PM »
I love the song (and the Cleveland shoutout - the Plain Dealer is our newspaper) - for me, what I've always found annoying is the "to the fields where lesser mice go..." chanting.  Love the solo, love the song.  Just my $0.02.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2011, 09:55:21 PM »
Love Regeneration

Same here... Would rank it somewhere in the latter of my top 10

Here's the only live version I've seen of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndJdxhYr-pE

Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2011, 11:34:52 PM »
I was there, Scott was so out of breathe, musically its sounded amazing, but Scott couldnt handle it as its a very tricky song live to sing.

Remember someone saying that this tune was done when STO toured England and Scott did a better job.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 11:42:53 PM by wayne gretzky »

Silver guns and Candybars

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2011, 12:30:48 AM »
And ironically, this record also has my least fav STP song: Regeneration. But I found it out months later.

I don't get why so many people here lack interest for Regeneration? is it not polished enough for you all?
I love the lyrics, like I said, SLDD has the best in its entirely. However, Regeneration may be my least favorite but it does not mean I do not like it, I just enjoy it less. I guess my biggest issue with the song is the chorus.

It's too much greatness at once for you to handle.
That is the only reasonable conclusion

Casper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2011, 02:01:37 AM »
After Self-Titled came out last year, it really made me appreciate SLDD A LOT MORE.
Odd, I just thought this the other day.
adhesive love

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2011, 04:25:40 AM »

It's too much greatness at once for you to handle.
That is the only reasonable conclusion
oh that's so silly, I can handle greatness, I can easily handle SLDD and I can handle you ;)
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2011, 04:27:32 AM »
^Oh, gosh! That was a decade ago - what I DO remember was that it was part of the acoustic set - Scott sat on a stool and played guitar while wearing a towel on his head - and it made me cry :). I don't think any extras were played, as it was all acoustic - but my memory isn't good enough to tell you for sure. I also remember I was wearing red pleather pants - oh, if only I could squeeze into those again! Haha. 

soooo... the pic I always thought it was about THAT moment it's not, since Scott's standing up with no towel on his head, I got nothing now :'( haha
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2011, 05:58:56 AM »
I have a beautiful story to share.  I just bought Shangri-LA DEE DA on Amazon mp3s!  I'm so proud of myself.  Only took me 10 years  ;D It was basically because of this thread.   I'll go listen to it properly a few times, and then report back.  I already feel so keen. 8)

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2011, 02:20:35 PM »
Wow .. congrats .. Ive never been a big fan of the cover of Shangri, but the booklet looks great with some great photos
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2011, 05:41:49 PM »
Ok after listening to it completely, a few of the songs have actually grown on me :)   I really like the opening riff to "Dumb Love", which I didn't really notice before, and "Coma" is a great song...kind of classic STP.   I think the first four songs keep this album from being bad.   After that, it gets a little spotty, but it still has a cool vibe, kind of like Purple.   "Hello It's Late", "Bi Polar Bear" and "Long Way Home" are pretty good, but not amazing.   

And, Silverguns and Candy Bars, I like "Regeneration."  8) The chorus is really cool and the song seems to be one of the more fast-paced, harder songs of the album.

Overall, I'd probably give the album a B- maybe C+.  I don't think this has their strongest songs.   I still think Scott did a pretty good job lyrically.  One of my favorite lyrics is "if you hold your breath under water you will rise to the surface."  I'd say this album is maybe better than Libertad, but I think the S/T album from STP rocks harder and has catchier songs.   

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2011, 08:07:31 PM »
"Hello It's Late" "Bi Polar Bear" and "Long Way Home" are pretty good, but not amazing.   

Speak for yourself. Amazing track. One of my favorite STP tracks off all-time.

I'm glad to see that you finally got around to getting the album! I feel it's definitely their most overlooked and underappreciated album.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2011, 08:41:02 PM »
He just got the cd so the greatness of that tune prob. went over his head.  I remember I liked the song the first few times I heard now I feel its a STP classic
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"