September 20, 2024, 09:36:34 AM

Author Topic: Happy 10th Year Anniversary SLDD!!  (Read 17030 times)

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
Happy 10th Year Anniversary SLDD!!
« on: June 29, 2011, 03:32:14 AM »
Has it been 10 years? Really?

The album was released June 19th, 2001. Please give your initial thoughts from the first listening experience and where you were when you purchased it.

I purchased mine on release day at Circuit City. Initial thoughts were positive on a whole. Absolutely dug the first half of the disc! (Including Days of the Week which gets bashed unfairly around here IMO) The track that struck me at my core was Hello, It's Late. I was in the middle of my second of three break-ups with my ex-girlfriend, and it hit me HARD.

'I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud.'

IMO, that IS Scott's best line he ever wrote and one of my favorite lyrics of all-time.

I spun the album three times that day, and I remember I went on a run, and came back and listened to it again.

Too Cool Queenie has grown on me immensely over the years, and should have been an single. No doubt about it.

Least favorite track has ALWAYS been Long Way Home. (Though Regeneration has been creeping there lately) I loved it initially. I was like, 'Yeah, a rocking closer! Killer!' Then, two minutes passed, and it seemed like it was 15. The repetition KILLS it, and it just seems to go on FOREVER. However, Dean's solo is bad ass, and EASILY the best part of the song.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 10th Year Anniversary SLDD!!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 03:49:45 AM »
Still my favorite album by the band. Probably my favorite album ever. It's got the best of both STP worlds.

Should have been a double album though.  :D

Edit: Oh and I uh. Bought it in 2007 or 2008 on Amazon.  ;D
Bleeda blooda

VegasCrackerman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "so much depends on the weather"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 03:52:22 AM »
Was in Orlando, FL on release day - had to stop by a BEST BUY to pick up my copy. 

Days of the Week had already been released and I thought it was solid - but I was really digging BI-POLAR BEAR.

Its so crazy how this album flew under the radar...
2016 Concerts:
6/3 Vanilla Ice
6/8 The Cure
6/25 Public Enemy

ntslash

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 04:02:35 AM »
I remember hearing this album in full the Sunday night before release date on a local radio station. I made a tape of it and listened to it for two days until I bought it on the Tuesday. Now we can download albums a month before they come out.

STP should celebrate the 10 year anniversary with a nice vinyl release of SLDD.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 05:17:58 AM »
Shangri-La was the last STP album I bought after I started getting into them (not counting the self titled one, of course). I got it in 2005, when I was 16, and have always really liked it and found it to be a very soothing and relaxing record overall. When I first started listening to it, I recall Black Again and Bi-Polar Bear being my two favorite songs off the album. However, while I still like Black Again, I haven't been that crazy about it in a long time. Bi-Polar Bear is still awesome to me, but now Transmissions is my favorite song off the album. Dean's solo in that song is one of my favorites too, despite how short it is.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

zjt228

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 01:42:29 PM »
I think it has a little something for everyone, which is why it's so polarizing. The record has some great, heavy rockers, but some real mellow tunes as well. Some probably view that as being messy or unorganized but I like it.

I remember putting "Bi-Polar Bear" on repeat when I was reading Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions a few summers ago. That song IS that book so it was pretty neat.
6/4/08 - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore (Red Wings win the Cup); 7/7/09 - Lansing, MI - Common Ground Festival; 8/19/10 - Grand Rapids, MI - Deltaplex; 8/26/10 - Detroit, MI - Fox Theatre; 4/20/11 - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore; 8/18/12 - Pontiac, MI - Silverdome

TurnToDust86

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • DL Live
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 03:24:02 PM »
This album was the first that I bought after my 're-discovery' of the band early in 2010 when I'd heard they had a new album coming out. I had gotten Core, Purple, No. 4, and Thank You back in 2002/2003 but when they went on hiatus, I shifted my focus to Velvet Revolver.

When I started to get back into the band in 2010 and decided to pick up the albums I was missing, I decided to start with SLDD. I mainly did this because all I knew from it was "Days Of The Week" (which I loved and still do) and I knew that the album was somewhat of a divider among fans so I was extra curious about it.

Turns out I absolutely loved the album. The mix of styles was great and I loved nearly every song on the album. After getting to know the band's entire catalogue, SLDD found itself locked in as my second favorite album from the band behind Purple.

Would have loved for it to have been a double album as intended but even as it stands, I think it's a fantastic record.
Curt

Chips will only grow one shoulder at a time.

"You can do anything you want in life. Unless Jay Leno wants to do it too." - Conan O'Brien

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
It was the last STP album I got (besides the peace album).  I think it was sometime in '08  My first listen I wasn't big on it.  But it's really grown on me!  Probably #3 behind Purple and Tiny Music.  Favorite songs off of it are definitely Wonderful and A Song For Sleeping.

Listening to it right now to celebrate its decade old-ness
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 04:16:36 PM »
I cant believe that it has been 10 years!  I feel so old hahaha This is what I will listen to all day..on repeat =)
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 04:55:55 PM »
Overall I think STP hit their ambitous and creative height with Shangri ... and it took several listens for me to fully appreciate what was going on here...  there are subtle sounds and expressions in the production that have this album up there with the best of them. It's a shame people did not take notice upon the time of it's release

Favorite Tracks are Transmissions ( favorite song off the album ), Hollywood Bitch, Regeneration, and Bi-Polar Bear ... But really I love them all and wouldn't rate any song off this album as weak

Oh how wonderful this album would sound on vinyl....
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 12:25:22 AM »
Alright, time to share a dirty little secret with you all...

I don't own the album.  I downloaded it back in '09 I think, and I've probably listened to it twice.  Hollywood Bitch and Days of the Week are cool, but none of these songs are really hard-hitting enough for me.  I also secretly get-off on the fact that they aren't playing these songs live.  I promise, though, I will try to buy it next week   ;D I think I also kind of don't like it because Scott was still doing heroin and stuff during the time.  I hope to post back here in a week or two saying how great it is, but we'll see.  Sorry if you think I"m a P.O.S. for this.   I guess I'm not hardcore enough.   Everytime someone refences one of these songs I'm like ???

:-[

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 12:29:03 AM »

Alright, time to share a dirty little secret with you all...

I don't own the album.  I downloaded it back in '09 I think, and I've probably listened to it twice.  Hollywood Bitch and Days of the Week are cool, but none of these songs are really hard-hitting enough for me.  I also secretly get-off on the fact that they aren't playing these songs live.  I promise, though, I will try to buy it next week   ;D I think I also kind of don't like it because Scott was still doing heroin and stuff during the time.  I hope to post back here in a week or two saying how great it is, but we'll see.  Sorry if you think I"m a P.O.S. for this.   I guess I'm not hardcore enough.   Everytime someone refences one of these songs I'm like ???

:-[

Always figured you were a casual fan.  ;)

Everybody's got their own tastes so it's cool you don't like it much. But personally I think you should just listen to it another dozen or so times.  ;D
Bleeda blooda

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 01:43:04 AM »
Honestly, probably my least favorite STP album, but still fucking amazing. That's just how good STP really is. It just didn't really strike a chord with me like the first four STP albums did, though. I didn't like the flow of the songs and there wasn't a standout song for me. However, it's still better than a lot of music from 2001 and better than a lot of the music of today.

JohnL

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Light My Way
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 03:00:07 AM »
Bi Polar Bear is one of my favorite STP songs. Too bad it's never been performed live.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 03:06:30 AM »
Bi Polar Bear is one of my favorite STP songs. Too bad it's never been performed live.
I think it was actually...once
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007