September 20, 2024, 05:32:51 AM

Author Topic: Happy 10th Year Anniversary SLDD!!  (Read 17010 times)

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 10th Year Anniversary SLDD!!
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2011, 11:38:56 PM »
Oh man, what memories!

Standouts on the initial listen were Coma, Wonderful and Bi-Polar Bear. I love the whole album. I still think Wonderful is one of the best pieces of music ever.

My thoughts exactly! :D

stp4ever

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2011, 12:24:04 AM »
Oh man, what memories!

Anyone remember the little trailer on the .com website to promote SLDD before it came out? It had a little sound clip of Regeneration and flashes of the artwork and some lyrics like, "Hold your breath underwater" and "Is she fighting for air?" I loved that and it got me so excited!

I actually bought it at Wal-Mart at midnight the day it came out, and my brother and I drove around dark country roads for a while and listened to the whole record twice, and we loved it. I still do. I wish they would put it out on vinyl.

Standouts on the initial listen were Coma, Wonderful and Bi-Polar Bear. I love the whole album. I still think Wonderful is one of the best pieces of music ever.

Yeah, I remember the Flash thing. "Is she fighting for air?" "Miles above your circumstance" etc. Really pumped me up for the release too!

Cuatro01

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2011, 06:06:34 AM »
10 years?  Holy crap.  Time flies.  I was in college when it was released.

'Wonderful' is one of the best songs they've ever written.  I also love the instrumental version of it.  It's like they are two different songs with and without the lyrics.

There are some other good songs on the album, but I have to admit that there are quite a few songs on this album with which I never made a connection.  So many people on this board seem to love 'Hello It's Late,' but that song does absolutely nothing for me.

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2011, 04:44:39 PM »
Words can't describe how I treasure this album.  Just one of those things that it came out at an equally important threshold of my life and just connected so beautifully. 

I think it really just shows everything STP has to offer at an elite level.  Problem is most of the music listening world barely even know it exists.  I mourn that thought that the majority can't feel the magic of STP on this album, but I also rejoice because it's like our little secret.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2011, 05:30:30 PM »
Damn I just saw this and it hit me and shocked me that its over 10 years old .. Oh they grow up so quick
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2011, 06:34:39 PM »
Words can't describe how I treasure this album.  Just one of those things that it came out at an equally important threshold of my life and just connected so beautifully. 

I think it really just shows everything STP has to offer at an elite level.  Problem is most of the music listening world barely even know it exists.  I mourn that thought that the majority can't feel the magic of STP on this album, but I also rejoice because it's like our little secret.

Are you sure you didn't take this right out of my mind? ;)

Below the word "Beauty" should read "Shangri-La Dee Da".
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2011, 06:39:57 PM »
I started listening to this album a lot more frequently and remembering how much I love tracks like "Transmissions from a Lonely Room" and "Regeneration". I love rediscovering gems.

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2011, 07:01:48 PM »

'Wonderful' is one of the best songs they've ever written.  I also love the instrumental version of it.  It's like they are two different songs with and without the lyrics.

The instrumental version playing right now with my playlist on random! :D

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2011, 07:31:21 PM »

Are you sure you didn't take this right out of my mind? ;)

Below the word "Beauty" should read "Shangri-La Dee Da".

So good to know I'm not alone on this.

I love rediscovering gems.

+1 especially when you get that sound and you can almost feel swept away to the first time you felt the music.  I don't know if it's just me but sometimes I just get goosebumps and then my senses will go crazy like I'll suddenly smell maybe a girls perfume that I was dating or interested in at the time I first heard the music, or like I'll suddenly feel warm if it was like a summer album that I jammed to, or cold if it was an autumn/winter release.

Not sure if that makes me overly sensitive, normal, or just old...
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2011, 01:41:17 AM »

I love rediscovering gems.

+1 especially when you get that sound and you can almost feel swept away to the first time you felt the music.  I don't know if it's just me but sometimes I just get goosebumps and then my senses will go crazy like I'll suddenly smell maybe a girls perfume that I was dating or interested in at the time I first heard the music, or like I'll suddenly feel warm if it was like a summer album that I jammed to, or cold if it was an autumn/winter release.

Not sure if that makes me overly sensitive, normal, or just old...

I get that feeling with some tracks off Purple every once in a while. I still remember hearing the intro to "Meatplow" or the chorus to "Silvergun Superman" for the first time so vividly.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2011, 04:50:21 AM »
So many people on this board seem to love 'Hello It's Late,' but that song does absolutely nothing for me.

It hit me personally because I was going through a break-up, which became a make-up, and soon again a break-up. It hit me from day one. Plus musically, I think it is their most chilling piece, and my all-time favorite STP track next to my namesake. The video from the Thank You DVD is a perfect companion piece.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2011, 04:50:08 PM »
It took me a couple of listens for Hello Its Late but it has become one of my fav STP tunes
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2011, 04:57:07 PM »
So many people on this board seem to love 'Hello It's Late,' but that song does absolutely nothing for me.

I'm right there with you. Along with Wonderful, I hardly ever listen to it. Now the rest of the album I can play forever  :)
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2011, 04:16:15 AM »
'Hello, it's late' is the perfection within perfection ;D music, vocals, lyrics, melody, solo... so sweet
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2011, 09:40:39 PM »

WH

WHOA WHOA WHOA!  Wonderful is possibly my favorite STP song, at least top 5!  I never knew there was an instrumental version of it!  can somebody please provide me a link, pm me or whatever, but I need to hear this! many thanks
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)