September 29, 2024, 04:25:23 AM

Author Topic: Would you have rather had a 3rd VR album or S/T?  (Read 8529 times)

FirstSexTypeThingOnMars

Would you have rather had a 3rd VR album or S/T?
« on: June 17, 2011, 02:50:42 PM »
Most people here seem to be disappointed in STP's return album, but would you take it as far as to say you would rather have had a 3rd VR album instead of the return album?

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
Re: Would you have rather had a 3rd VR album or S/T?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 03:50:07 PM »
VR drastically improved from Contraband to Libertad IMO and may have continued to get better with a 3rd album... but I would MUCH rather have had Self Titled and STP back together in general

As far as people being disappointed in S/T... You can't please everybody, and they made the album they wanted to...I love this album and not saying it's one of their best but it is one of my favorites.. it just has the classic rock flavor to it that may not be some people's cup of tea
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 07:01:52 PM »
Most bands would kill to be able to make an album as good as a mediocre STP album. VR included.

Libertad was much better than Contraband though, and a good album in general, but VR aren't in the same league at all. So basically I would rather have had S/T, even with its problems, relatively speaking.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 07:03:31 PM by Pingfah »

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 07:14:59 PM »
I would go with the S/T.
For me, its just as good as ALL the previous albums. Just fucking great music from our boys :)

But i would love for sure a third VR with Scotty on the vocals...
Seems like you left me when you broke down

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 07:18:16 PM »
You know, i was reading the VR biography that we have in the "Side projects" section here at BE, and i read that even Slash said that "after STP reunion shows(2008) Scott will come back and we'll record VR's third album"

And how great it would have been if Scott actually did that?.. i mean, just record the third album with VR, a couple of live shows and then go back with STP and doing the S/T...

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 07:38:51 PM »
I love the self-titled album but I wouldn't have complained about another VR album. I imagine Scott probably would have recorded with VR after the '08 tour if things had ended better. But I'm sure STP would have recorded something eventually.
Bleeda blooda

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 10:25:29 PM »
I do wish VR had a little more time...maybe another 2 years and then back to stp....I like the STP album quite a bit so no complaints here
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 10:38:18 PM »
I would have prefered an STP album rather than Libertad.

Nothing against Libertad. I just would have prefered to see Scott put the effort he put into that album with a more dynamic band.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 10:40:02 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 12:28:18 AM »
I was really happy with the S/T album.  I thought Libertad was a big disappointment.  There are a few songs on it that I like, but it is pretty weak overall.  During the end, the shows weren't selling too great either and I was already sick of hearing the live Contraband songs by then, so I think it was best for Scott to leave.  STP also has a much better song catelog.  VR had it's success in 2004-05 and that is when I thought they were the best.

Fear 2 Stop

• Rightous Bald Dude
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 12:31:56 AM »
Hell no. I was not a fan of VR aside from Weiland...(I didn't like GNR to begin with. Not my style of rock at all.) In addition, he sang different with VR than he did with STP, and for lack of a better way to put it, it's like his voice got "stuck" like that for a while. I didn't care for the self-titled STP record that much, but I'd rather have mediocre STP than VR.

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 01:03:34 AM »
Hell no. I was not a fan of VR aside from Weiland...(I didn't like GNR to begin with. Not my style of rock at all.) In addition, he sang different with VR than he did with STP, and for lack of a better way to put it, it's like his voice got "stuck" like that for a while. I didn't care for the self-titled STP record that much, but I'd rather have mediocre STP than VR.

Too sad you consider nowadays STP and the S/T as mediocre.

Fear 2 Stop

• Rightous Bald Dude
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 01:39:48 AM »
STP is mediocre compared to their prime, is what I meant. Compared to VR at their best, STP blows them away (in their prime or not).My dislike  for the self-titled album is in comparison to the rest of their work;I'd only put "Between the Lines" and "First Kiss on Mars" up there with their best. Now if you want to compare the S/T to anybody else though, then that's different...I'd choose STP any day of the week.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 01:59:21 AM »
STP comeback album way more than 3rd VR album.  VR had lost its momentum.  I guess STP lost some momentum as well.  Wish the songs on the new album were a bit stronger.  Hope the next album is a bit more creative/interesting?  Perhaps a double album?

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 02:15:58 AM »
I wish STP had never broken up and that VR had never existed.

Most of all I wish that AOA had Scott's vocals on it because the music on that album is out of this world.

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 02:40:50 AM »
I wouldn't want another VR album, either way, but I like the AOA album MUCH more than the self-titled STP album.

I haven't listened to the latest STP album for a very long time. I just didn't dig it very much at all.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy