September 20, 2024, 04:53:04 AM

Author Topic: 2011-07-26 - Asbury Park, NJ - The Stone Pony  (Read 16625 times)

Doreen

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: 2011-07-26 - Asbury Park, NJ - The Stone Pony
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 04:31:49 AM »
weird tuesday night show

Were you there?

I thought those boys all brought their A game.

thebends

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 05:27:36 AM »
just got back from the show.... great night.. funny thing ..going into the show by the buses was scott playing catch (football) with the security guards... Scott looks like he put some weight on, good news...

great show

Doreen

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2011, 05:42:35 AM »
I thought Scott looked healthy and sounded great. He didn't strike me as impaired.
Band really seemed to enjoy themsleves.
Robert DeLeo said that he and Dean hadn't played Stone Pony in many years....Since '81, if I heard him correctly.
They brought their kids out at the end of the show. I'm not sure if they do that at every summer show, but they did last year at PNC.

robschmidt

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2011, 05:48:48 AM »
Just got back and am exhausted so I'll just list my thoughts.

- Overall happy with the show. There was an obvious technical problem with Dean's guitar. For parts of some songs (Down sticks out most) there was no guitar. Had to stop the show for a while to fix everything. Dean was real pissed. Scott's microphone also was noticeably low.

- Due to all of the stoppage b/c of Dean's guitar, the set was shortened. NO INTERSTATE OR DEAD AND BLOATED! That HAS to be a first in STP history. Just Trippin for the encore and went right into Silvergun after Plush. The guitar Dean uses for Interstate (black one) was the one that was giving him problems, so that is probably why they skipped it. I was disappointed that they stuck to the 1.5 hour time even though there were problems. I wonder if that is the band's call or they're only allowed to play for that time. They got on about 8:45 and got off at 10:15.

- They played Bi Polar Bear! I got full video of it and will post it tomorrow, along with Wicked Garden, STT and the improv jam by Rob, Scott and Eric when they were waiting for Dean's guitar. I mistakenly deleted Big Bang Baby. I'm kicking myself right now. Definitely played much slower than when it was played in 08.

- I think Mary was at the show. I could see backstage where all of the wives were and Scott's son was there standing next to a tall pretty woman who very much looked like Mary. I don't know the extent of their relationship right now, though. I believe Eric's son is was also there. He was wearing drummer's headphones, which makes me think that it was Eric's son. I think I've seen him at other shows as well. Not to mention, Eric's wife is quite beautiful. After the show Scott and Rob's sons came onstage and waved as everyone cheered. Scott was really happy holding up Noah and it was nice to see that.

- The first opening band was awesome - Jet Stream. I have video of them which I will also post tomorrow. The lead singer/guitarist also threw me a tshirt. The second band, Rose Park... something, was OK.... A little too much jamming for me.

- I was front row, on the bar, centerstage - the closest I have ever been. I was chanting "Dean" all night and during Big Empty he pointed at me and handed me one of those metal rings he uses during that song to elongate the notes (not sure what the piece is called). Definitely the highlight of my night!
--Rob--

robschmidt

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2011, 05:49:23 AM »
I thought Scott looked healthy and sounded great. He didn't strike me as impaired.
Band really seemed to enjoy themsleves.
Robert DeLeo said that he and Dean hadn't played Stone Pony in many years....Since '81, if I heard him correctly.
They brought their kids out at the end of the show. I'm not sure if they do that at every summer show, but they did last year at PNC.

It was really nice to hear Rob talk about coming home and playing the Stone Pony. I think it was '91 though...
--Rob--

pjstp

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2011, 05:58:53 AM »
Just got back and am exhausted so I'll just list my thoughts.

- Overall happy with the show. There was an obvious technical problem with Dean's guitar. For parts of some songs (Down sticks out most) there was no guitar. Had to stop the show for a while to fix everything. Dean was real pissed. Scott's microphone also was noticeably low.

- Due to all of the stoppage b/c of Dean's guitar, the set was shortened. NO INTERSTATE OR DEAD AND BLOATED! That HAS to be a first in STP history. Just Trippin for the encore and went right into Silvergun after Plush. The guitar Dean uses for Interstate (black one) was the one that was giving him problems, so that is probably why they skipped it. I was disappointed that they stuck to the 1.5 hour time even though there were problems. I wonder if that is the band's call or they're only allowed to play for that time. They got on about 8:45 and got off at 10:15.

- They played Bi Polar Bear! I got full video of it and will post it tomorrow, along with Wicked Garden, STT and the improv jam by Rob, Scott and Eric when they were waiting for Dean's guitar. I mistakenly deleted Big Bang Baby. I'm kicking myself right now. Definitely played much slower than when it was played in 08.

- I think Mary was at the show. I could see backstage where all of the wives were and Scott's son was there standing next to a tall pretty woman who very much looked like Mary. I don't know the extent of their relationship right now, though. I believe Eric's son is was also there. He was wearing drummer's headphones, which makes me think that it was Eric's son. I think I've seen him at other shows as well. Not to mention, Eric's wife is quite beautiful. After the show Scott and Rob's sons came onstage and waved as everyone cheered. Scott was really happy holding up Noah and it was nice to see that.

- The first opening band was awesome - Jet Stream. I have video of them which I will also post tomorrow. The lead singer/guitarist also threw me a tshirt. The second band, Rose Park... something, was OK.... A little too much jamming for me.

- I was front row, on the bar, centerstage - the closest I have ever been. I was chanting "Dean" all night and during Big Empty he pointed at me and handed me one of those metal rings he uses during that song to elongate the notes (not sure what the piece is called). Definitely the highlight of my night!

Sounds like another great show! Good review, thanks for sharing. I'm excited to see the Bi-Polar Bear video.
STP: 2/19/2011 - Thackerville, OK; 4/30/2011 - Birmingham, AL; 8/16/2011 - Austin, TX; 8/17/2011 - Dallas, TX; 11/5/2011 - Concho, OK
SW: 3/27/2013 - Dallas, TX; 4/30/2014 - Dallas, TX; 5/3/2014 - Little Rock, AR; 9/20/2014 - Shreveport, LA; 11/9/2015 - Dallas, TX

RailBrews

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2011, 11:29:19 AM »

Thanks for the review! That band was Rose Hill Drive and it sounds like you got one of Dean's slides, cool!

VegasCrackerman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "so much depends on the weather"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2011, 02:21:07 PM »
I was chanting "Dean" all night and during Big Empty he pointed at me and handed me one of those metal rings he uses during that song to elongate the notes (not sure what the piece is called). Definitely the highlight of my night!

It's called a "slide".
2016 Concerts:
6/3 Vanilla Ice
6/8 The Cure
6/25 Public Enemy

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2011, 02:35:06 PM »
weird tuesday night show

Were you there?

I thought those boys all brought their A game.
no, i was just saying its weird they are playing on a tuesday night
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

DrGONZOakaRaoulDuke

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2011, 02:58:34 PM »
ok, AMAZING SHOW... AMAZING. I will write more in a bit, but i thought i would share this first because i know that there arent really any decent vid's of this out there yet. 
Here is my vid of Bi-Polar Bear from last nights show. I missed the first 5 seconds, but got the rest and it came out sounding fantastic....

Bi-Polar Bear - Stone Temple Pilots @ the Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ - 7.26.11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JASpUPE13M

dex14

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2011, 03:30:27 PM »
I thought it was one of the weaker shows I've seen over the last 2 years. They seemed off to me. Alot of the songs sounded like they were being played slower. It was nice to hear the setlist change a bit though.

laura

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Too Cool Queenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2011, 05:24:08 PM »
Here is my vid of Bi-Polar Bear from last nights show. I missed the first 5 seconds, but got the rest and it came out sounding fantastic....
Thank you.  God, I love this.  I only hope I'll get the chance to see it live next month.
I am
Trampled under sole of another man's shoes
Guess I walked too softly.--S. Weiland

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2011, 06:31:14 PM »
ITS LIKE SOMEONE WAS LISTENING TO ME!!! They completely ignored SLDD on Monday in Brooklyn, and even though the Asbury show rocked, as they started in with the same exact set from Monday I just lowered expectations for anything different (as any other time in the past couple years I've seen em back to back it's pretty much been the exact same set each of the nights), but once Dean started strumming the beginning of Bi-Polar Bear I started jumping like crazy and had the biggest smile on my face.

I thought the show in Asbury Park was a little better than the night before (aside from the technical difficulties).  It's hard to reason why exactly, could just be in my mind because a deep track off SLDD was included.  I dunno.  But just like the night before, the whole band seemed on fire.  Scott's definitely a bit more active on stage than when they first reunited.  He also definitely looks more fit.  I was looking over some of my photos and even thought to myself that he looks in better shape.  Maybe a little more weight and bulk (who knows, but this comment is taking a creepy turn so back to reviewing).  The crowd was really into the show too. 

As for the DeLeo's, what Rob mentioned was that the brothers first played at the Stone Pony in '81 when they were still basically learning to play (with STP they've played there a handful of times, if my memory's correct), and that it's crazy how things have come full circle.

On stage, they all seemed to be clicking really well.  Rob was even traveling across stage a little more than I usually remember.  With the technical difficulties going on, at first it was so sporadic that I thought Dean was just kind of mixing things up a bit.  But then by the middle of 'Down' you could tell he was really just ticked.  To me I thought there was something up with his effects pedals because you could hear him playing but it just either didn't have any Reverb/Delay/Distortion going on and suddenly it would come through on the next notes, but then they kept messing with the guitar itself.  It was a bummer because they obviously had to cut songs out, and between a couple songs there were a couple of minutes where there was nothing going on.  The first time it happened, I saw Dean motion to Scott that he needed a minute, so I figured Scott was going to stall for a bit or improvise, but instead the band just kind of stopped and stared at Dean until he was ready.  The third time it happened, Rob finally started to just jam on the Bass and then Eric & Scott joined in for a little improv.  In my heart of hearts I was hoping Dean would just come out with an Acoustic Guitar, plug it straight in and they'd do a couple slow songs while the techs tried to figure out the issues.  But no such luck, the band jumped into STT, hit the encore break, and got right into Trippin.

In response to robschmidt......Generally each venue has a curfew.  Some are strict with early curfews (especially if it's a summerstage outdoors in a community) some manage to get later curfews for their venues, but basically the rule of thumb is that a band can play later if they want to but they'll have to pay up a nice chunk of $$$ for the later they run.  You start getting into labor and union issues at that point, not to mention city fines as well.  When you think about it, Axl Rose has probably thrown away so much money in his career just to keep a reputation of "The show will start when I'm good and ready"  Not that STP wouldn't be willing to stretch the curfew a bit to make up for the lost songs, but if it truly was an issue with the guitar then they'd have to re-tune other guitars to replace the one that went down or fill in other songs to accomodate his guitars available.  As much as I love them, I don't really know how much the band is able to go off-book from the songs/sets they rehearse/grow accustomed to without it being just goofing around or jamming.  Whether it's remembering all lyrics, or exactly how to play note for note, or just a matter of them setting a standard for themselves that if they're not properly prepared they're not going to reach for it, but in all the times I've seen them I can't really ever recall a moment where it seemed they were plugging songs on the fly or going of course (other than just taking a song out).

Great friggin night though.  Great 2 nights back-to-back.  Great that I don't have to wait another 6 months for them to come around again (3rd row at NJPAC in September)!!!!
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

DrGONZOakaRaoulDuke

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2011, 08:13:12 PM »
I was confused because I called the Stone Pony earlier in the day asking about set times and curfew and they said  STP on  at 8:30ish... Strict curfew of 11PM.

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2011, 12:57:59 AM »
I think the intention was to play till nearly 10:30, and have the place cleared out by 11.  It might really be in the definition of curfew being either band off stage or venue locks up.  Being an outdoor venue 11pm is probably their licensed time to have to take responsibility for any excess noise violations.

Or, they just know STP and figured that 8:30ish start could easily be a 9:30 start depending on which side of the bed Scott wakes up on that morning. (Though I gotta say for all the crap many people give him and the band these days for tardiness, they were on by 8:35pm both Monday & Tuesday nights in tri-state area shows).
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18