September 29, 2024, 08:30:38 PM

Author Topic: "Not Dead & Not For Sale" Reviews  (Read 23762 times)

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
Re: "Not Dead & Not For Sale" Reviews
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2011, 09:49:27 PM »
Man I was really looking foward to the book, can his own words really be that bad?

Anyways ATTENTION SHANGRI

I have yet to read the book but could you please spoil the meaning of Lady Picture Show that you said you read please?
Sure, I'll quote
"'Lady Picture Show', one of the central songs, is about the horrific gang rape of a dancer who winds up falling in love but can't let go of the pain"
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2011, 10:07:56 PM »
Finally got my book in the mail today.
I read about half of it. I could finish tonight, but I'll save it for tomorrow.
I won't get into my thoughts on it until I finish it.

But one thing has really thrown me - Isn't Scott's story on how he and Robert met 100% different from what we've previously heard?
I thought they met at a Black Flag concert, where they discovered they were dating the same girl, then they moved into her apartment together after she split or something close to that.

When I read that I remembered they used to say that that's not exactly how it was, but at the same time I think I remember them telling this story, ignoring the girl issue though...

@Shangri After losing all my faith on the book(based on the reviews ive read until now) i read your review and i feel now kind of...relieved!
Thank you! that was my point, 'cause they are being too harsh on the book. It's short, yes. Lacks of details, yes. There's no rock and roll shocker, yes. But it's still a good book, I could take the juice out of it.
But don't blame me if you don't like it haha I love the cover and everyone here hate it so :P

You can even see how confused he's about alcohol in his life. Sometimes it is as bad as  any drug, sometimes it's not that bad and sometimes it's not a problem at all.

PS, I've read the word "Defending" so many times these days, I'll speak for myself and say I do not defend, I enjoy.

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2011, 11:09:35 PM »
I haven't read it yet, but after reading these reviews I'm actually more eager to. I expect it to be lacking based on what I'm reading here, but I'm curious to read it from a background-in-behavior perspective.

What do I expect based on this thread and some of the snippets I've seen?

I expect that this isn't really the story of Weiland's life from a man who is looking back and putting things together, (which would be when he should really write a book).  Instead, I expect to read a book from a guy who is still coming at things from the kind of perspective that addicts come from. That, rather than conquering drug addiction and then looking back on his life to write a book, this read will instead come from within those throws, without clear hindsight and with plenty of ramblings and unclear connections.

That's what I expect.
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2011, 11:21:08 PM »
TO be clear I didnt think it was bad...it was nice to hear abouthis childhood..it just didnt give up anything in detail..I would read it again =)
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

emerick55

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2011, 11:24:58 PM »
I haven't read the book yet, I'll probably have the local library order it... however, many of you are criticizing it saying that we already knew everything and that you could essentially read his Wikipedia article... and thats the problem here. In the internet age, you already know everything. Nothing is secret, every bit of info we need to know is at our fingertips. And clearly Scott (based on reviews that I've read on the internet) is not internet savvy.

That's fine to rehash the stories that we already know - a lot of fans don't.  However providing no insight, feelings, thoughts surrounding these events is just lame.  I didn't want to read bullet points about Scott's life.  I wanted to read thoughts and feelings, like what was going through his mind the first time he shot dope.  What was it like touring?  What were the relationships with his bandmates like at all times during the 90's?  Details!  I already know he was a rock star that made millions and took drugs.  This book is seriously probably only about 70 pages if you take out all of the pictures, big text, and BLANK PAGES and half pages.  It's just completely disappointing and I don't know how people are defending it.  I love Scott's music but this book is just a sell out, call a spade a spade.

We already know about the first time he shot dope, there was a really extensive article from back in the day.

http://www.myspace.com/tankman/blog/330331793 Somebody posted it on their MySpace right there.

Yeah I've read this, so has everyone on this board I'm sure.  What about the other 99.6% of people that are going to buy this book?  Have they read this story as well? 

RailBrews

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2011, 11:37:45 PM »
Have this book on order, should be here in a day or two. Scott is prolly editing some stuff out of the book for two reasons.

A. He wants to save some ammo and keep the door open for another book. There are also seemingly new chapters to his story added every year. This may or may not happen, but it is an option.

B. STP is a working band right now. Kinda hard to go full boar with STP stuff and stories and not expect it to have an impact on the band(and his main money maker).

Sure, he might not remember everything but I bet he remembers a helluva lot more than he put in these pages....

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2011, 12:49:19 AM »
Sorry if its on another post.
I was just looking for some guitar tabs and found this article:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/scott_weiland_was_raped_at_12.html
Seems like you left me when you broke down

kretzl

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2011, 01:27:51 AM »
Honestly, I loved the book.  I saw it as a gateway into his mind, and feel like he bared his soul, especially when mentioning the rape, his brothers deaths, talking about his loneliness and his battle with alcohol.  I liked the randomness of a lot of the writing and that it was a breeze to read, never getting bogged down in details.

I never knew the story of the Tiny Music press conference being without his consent or knowledge.  If true, I think that tidbit is pretty interesting (and surprising).

Seeing that Scott said on Stern that he has ideas for other books,  this is a first book is perfect, I think.

Just my opinion.

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2011, 01:53:32 PM »
I'm acutally a bit confused on how 'Soi Distant' became 'Swing'.  Based on the picture that was included, it seemed like when Rob joined 'Soi Distant' they became 'Swing' and then when Dean joined (and other members left/fired) they became MJY.  I remember reading something somewhere that mentioned Dean refused to join a band named 'Swing' :) I was hoping for some more details on the early days of the group, and especially info on recording sessions and such.  Loved all the pictures though.
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2011, 02:33:18 PM »
I'm acutally a bit confused on how 'Soi Distant' became 'Swing'.  Based on the picture that was included, it seemed like when Rob joined 'Soi Distant' they became 'Swing' and then when Dean joined (and other members left/fired) they became MJY.  I remember reading something somewhere that mentioned Dean refused to join a band named 'Swing' :) I was hoping for some more details on the early days of the group, and especially info on recording sessions and such.  Loved all the pictures though.
I'm going to write a huge article about Soi Disant/Swing/MJY/etc. I contacted some of the band members and a few other people, did some research, obtained some cool photos and info, but still need a lot of time.....and the book  ;D
I hope to clear everything up.
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2011, 02:37:37 PM »
I'm going to write a huge article about Soi Disant/Swing/MJY/etc. I contacted some of the band members and a few other people, did some research, obtained some cool photos and info, but still need a lot of time.....and the book  ;D
I hope to clear everything up.

excellent, can't wait :)
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

Casper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2011, 08:53:21 PM »
Let me put it this way. The person who came with me to the Bookends signing read the book while waiting for him in less than 2 hours. She is in no way a crazy STP/Scott fan like myself. She knew nothing about him other then that he was drug addict and in STP. Therefore, she was not biased at all. She thought Scott's book was terrible. She said it was boring, lacked detail, was edited poorly and at times rambled. After the signing, I gave her my copy of Mary's book to check out and she read it the next day (in one sitting again, she's a monster with how she reads). My lady friend absolutely loved Mary's story. She laughed, she cried, she learned... she enjoyed all of it. She thought it had it all. Happiness, pain, love, hate.

I tell my friend's version of what she thought because I just finished the book this morning and I completely agree with everything she said... Just my honest opinion.

This "review" comes from two different people. A crazy hardcore fan and an average person who knew nothing about him.
adhesive love

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2011, 02:19:53 AM »
If anything I can't wait to get a hold of Mary's book, it is probably more informative about Scott and the two bands he was in then Scott's book was.   The book wasn't god awful but it was like a bunch of notes jumbled together to start writing a book.   

- He mentions Perla as a big reason VR started to fall apart and that's it.   What did she do in those meetings besides obviously piss Scott off

- Does anyone really believe that Dean just randomly got pissed off one concert that Scott's voice "sounded like shit"?  Yeah neither do I.   How about which concert it was, or how the relationship was during that tour.   

- He mentions Robert and Dean getting in to fights on tours.   I'm itching for more detail into that.

- He mentioned something to the affect that the whole band was partying and they canceled the tour and blamed it on him.   What were the other members in to?   Does he still resent them for blaming him for the cancellation of Tiny Music tour?

Random stuff that I thought should have been touched on:

Does him taking a different touring bus or having a different dressing room affect the band?  Does he still view them as brothers or other men that happen to make great music together and make a ton of money!   What about the PNC Show?  How about the many instances of beer bottles being thrown on him at concerts?  A picture of Aerosmith with them at MSG but no detail about how it was to perform with them and how it actually came about.  There has to be some stories about STP/VR or himself on tour.   Being late to shows, or how about when he missed the VR show and they had to take turns singing the songs.   What are his favorite songs to perform live or some of his favorite he has ever written?

The one thing as a huge STP fan I've been longing to know since they got back together is how he views them all.   Is it strictly to earn money and nothing beyond that.   Does he still view them as brothers or are the wounds too deep to repair past being on stage?   One thing is for sure he LOVES Doug Grean!

btw he mentions Eric Kretz like 1 or 2 times in the book, certainly he has some stories about him.

Finally got my book in the mail today.
I read about half of it. I could finish tonight, but I'll save it for tomorrow.
I won't get into my thoughts on it until I finish it.

But one thing has really thrown me - Isn't Scott's story on how he and Robert met 100% different from what we've previously heard?
I thought they met at a Black Flag concert, where they discovered they were dating the same girl, then they moved into her apartment together after she split or something close to that.

I was thinking the same thing.  We have been told countless times that is how they met.

For those who have read Mary's book does she go into detail about his relationship with the boys at all or is it strictly about her and Scott during the whole book?

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2011, 02:26:43 AM »
For those who have read Mary's book does she go into detail about his relationship with the boys at all or is it strictly about her and Scott during the whole book?

I've just finished chapter 10 and there's no detail. She drops a small description of each member and randomly mentions the brotherhood but no details yet.

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2011, 03:07:28 AM »
I'm left wondering why they turned down touring with Aerosmith?  The way it was written he made it seem so obvious but I'm left wondering
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)