September 29, 2024, 06:37:03 PM

Author Topic: "Not Dead & Not For Sale" Reviews  (Read 23749 times)

Robert DeNiro

Re: "Not Dead & Not For Sale" Reviews
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 01:02:08 AM »
After I finished reading the book the first thing I thought was why did he even write this book? If your going to tell us things we already know than can we get at least a little more insight? Its just a giant wikipedia page

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 01:07:55 AM »
Really disappointed to see all the mediocre reviews...I'm still gonna get the book eventually but I'm not nearly as excited to read it as I was originally
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 01:11:24 AM »
Really disappointed to see all the mediocre reviews...I'm still gonna get the book eventually but I'm not nearly as excited to read it as I was originally

Same here. I'm pretty bummed with what I'm hearing from everyone.  It sounds like the book was pretty half-assed, from the reviews.    What a disappointment, after all this wait.    I'll still buy it and probably enjoy some parts...but I was hoping for an in-depth book.  Also, a  bummer that it is basically a 2-3 hr. read.

It's all your fault, Kretz   :'(

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 01:13:06 AM »
It is writtenreally well and it has points that talks about what the songs are about..But WE already knew this stuff...not everyone does
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 05:38:08 PM »
I have been reading the book since yesterday and have actually read it about three times. To be 100% honest about it, there is a large lack of information. All through my teen years I collected magazine articles, ordered imported STP books (they are out there) interview audios, and anything I could get my hands on that would tell me more about who STP are as people. The book was less informative than an old book I have on them released in about 93/94. While I wanted to know how the recording sessions went for Core and Purple, etc, I always wanted to know Scott and STP as people. I was hoping Scott in this book would tell me who he is as a man. Is he now what he always wanted to be? What are his favorite songs on his own albums? Does he miss VR at all? Pretty much I wanted to know the inner information that an interviewer wouldn't ask.

While the book does just fine for people that are just getting into him or the people who still remember the band who wrote "Plush", I feel like Scott really could have given me more. I felt like he was trying to teach me about life and love throughout the book, which was really annoying. It turned into a textbook for me about psychology and human emotions. With ALL of the recent STP and Weiland releases I feel they just merely scratch the surface of true potential. I remember this, Scott did an interview in 96 and said he was releasing a "coffee table book." After buying this I ran thorugh it fast and was amazed and how much space is not used and rather how much nonsense is in there. Lyrics to songs, extremely large pictures and 1/2 pages being used. Something that is also annoying is how he will randomly talk about his dad, then talk about a dream, then a poem, back to his dad and then drugs, then his brother, then more poetry and end on his dad again. There are really no clear chapters or ideas. Does this fit Scott's personality? Of course. But it's an akward read.

If you are an STP/Weiland fan like me youre probably thinking the same thing I am which is, "Keep your mouth shut. We're lucky to get anything at all." However, for a book about 10 years in the making do me a favor and fill the pages you put in there. The book is not 298 pages of text. It's more like 90 when you get done with the spacing, photos and large text in the middle of the pages. Sorry Scott, but I am dissapointed.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 12:44:46 AM »
I went to three different bookstores today and came home empty-handed.  Well, not empty-handed - I did buy another book of baby names, but that's not what I had ventured out for.  One store was sold out, the other two never received the book or never ordered it.  Mind you - I went to Barnes and Noble and Borders - not some random "Steve's House of Books" or something like that.

I'm frustrated and jealous - I am sick AGAIN and was looking forward to reading this while I nursed myself back to health.  I came home and ordered it online - now I get to wait for it to come and just sit here sick and jealous of all you fuckers that already have your copy - despite the unfavorable reviews.   :-\
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Silver guns and Candybars

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 01:52:24 AM »
I know we are all STP fans here but lets call a spade a spade. The book is a ripoff. No details, way too many pictures, and the sometimes big text. It starts out pretty good I must say when he talks about his childhood but then it just goes downhill. Scott gives hardly any emotion or detail, I am beyond disapointed. I was really hoping for details about the recording sessions and hardly got shit. I think Dean DeLeo could have told us Scotts life story ten times better than Scott himself. Also theres little smartalic comments made that will probaly agitate or might anger some people. Especially when he brings up how the DeLeos and Kretz side projects were unsuccessful without him and alluding to how he liked it that way. Or talking about how much he loves mary then throwing in some jabs at her pages later. There is more emotion in Art School Girl than this whole damn book. I don't see how any diehard could not be disapointed by it and surely in a month or two it will be on the clearance shelf. Weiland you have failed your fanbase again with your cash in book

Silver guns and Candybars

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 02:36:12 AM »
almost finished bashing Weiland. I read this book in about an hour and a half and spent every minute thinking maybe the good shit will be on the next page and it never came. I cant believe this guy wrote a book. All of his experiences, this book should be 500 pages with every page being in depth moments of his life. I mean there is seriously so much he has to talk about and people who are struggling addicts that he could have helped. If he wants to keep his privacy thats perfectly cool and ok, but then why write a story? I learned he was raped but that was it. never explained the physcological traumas or how it effected his life or anything. Thats pretty much how it is in the book. I want him to re write it. Hopefully someone else in the band will write a book. To hype myself for this book I read Marys book a day before I got scotts book. It is so fucking good. I bet nobody gives a shit about her life story but it is one hell of a book and blows weilands book out of the water for miles. That book was an emotional journey that was brutally honest from start to finish, compared to scotts "well this happened then that happened" way of writing. I really hope one day everyone else in the band writes a book

Drew06

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 03:13:06 AM »
This book sucks I want my money back. To anyone debating to buy it, don't do it. Just read his wikipedia page it's more informative....

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 05:23:12 AM »
Can't please everybody. I really liked the book. If you guys can't take it for what it is - an honest portrait of the parts of his life he felt were worth sharing - then whatever, your loss.
Bleeda blooda

Jeremy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 05:40:39 AM »
Can't please everybody. I really liked the book. If you guys can't take it for what it is - an honest portrait of the parts of his life he felt were worth sharing - then whatever, your loss.

You really like to defend anything STP and Weiland related, don't you?

~Jeremy~

STPCreep

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 06:24:01 AM »

~Jeremy~

Isn't this an STP board?

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 06:27:17 AM »

~Jeremy~

Grow up, ~Jeremy~.
Bleeda blooda

Jeremy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2011, 07:47:49 AM »
I am grown up and look at things without bias. You though never let down your Weiland fascination and wouldn't dare call them on any bad thing they've done.

Any interesting recording bits? None of that in this book.
Any fascinating stories relating to touring and the band members? None of that in this book.

Instead we get a few drug stories we've already heard countless times before, now repeated with even fewer details from the man that went through it all. Considering that was practically the primary selling point of the book, I'd say it failed on a major scope.

You though can't accept that. Instead it's "our loss" to those that have already read any article or interview from the band in the past 18 years, since this book is essentially just an extended wikipedia article.

~Jeremy~

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2011, 01:26:54 PM »
I am glad people on this board are being honest with the way they feel about the book. And after reading it I can see why it took so long to come out. If there is one word I can use to describe it the word would be "rushed." Because the lack of information is just crammed in there it really feels like Scott is pissing all over my face each time I flip the page. I love Scott/STP/VR/Solo stuff/ and I even liked Talk Show, but that doesn't mean that just because I love the band I'm gonna love everything they do. Sometimes we might not like their album covers, setlists, song titles, book information, tour dates or any of the above. To be honest, I thought Happy sucked and pretty much so did the recent album. I think it's also ridiculious when fans get to say, "Give him a break, it's only a memoir or it's only a concept album." Another thing I hear is that "If you were expecting anything besides what you got you're going to be dissapointed." Yes.. I know.. The fact of the matter is that it is a book and in a book you tell all, like Mary did. She gave a lot of insight into their drug use and was very detailed about Scott's time in VR. It was very entertaining. If Scott wasn't ready to tell all or give more details it honestly should not have been released. I don't feel my money was wasted. However, I wish Scott had released this a few years ago either while he was in VR or during 12BB, we wouldve gotten what we wanted in my opinion. I think we would have gotten more than "the newest STP record is selling well and we are currently touring." Great. Thanks.