September 29, 2024, 08:37:59 PM

Author Topic: "Not Dead & Not For Sale" Reviews  (Read 23768 times)

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
"Not Dead & Not For Sale" Reviews
« on: May 14, 2011, 07:50:55 AM »
Post your review and discuss the book's content here.
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
Re: "Not Dead & Not For Sale" Reviews
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 03:39:17 PM »
Is it too soon to talk about the book? I'm sure a good number of people here have yet to read it all just yet so I wouldn't want to spoil it for you guys

It was a good read but it wasn't the compelling tell-all piece I was hoping for... felt like it could have been so much better....Some parts were really good and interesting... But for the most part I thought he could have given ALOT more details...

It was still great to hear it from the man himself...All in all worth the purchase for sure
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 05:00:44 PM »
Seems like you left me when you broke down

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 10:33:57 AM »
Is it too soon to talk about the book? I'm sure a good number of people here have yet to read it all just yet so I wouldn't want to spoil it for you guys

All spoilers are allowed. This topic was created to avoid any spoilers in the main thread ("Scott's book").
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

gravedancer

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 12:26:42 AM »

Disappointing to say the least. There are a few moments where the book shines, and thats when he goes into detail. His detail is usually accompanied by really honest and sad feelings/confessions. I feel like the book goes along with his need to isolate himself from everyone. It wasn't a bad read, I actually enjoyed it and learned some stuff I didn't know. I really wish he went into more detail though.
STP Shows: 05-25-08 - Wallingford, CT, 09-23-12 - Sacramento, CA
SWB Shows: 03-07-13 - Boston, MA, 06-07-13 - San Francisco, CA

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 05:25:33 PM »
Pretty good when he went into detail which only seemed to be about his childhood and when he got mugged in france, but thats about it.  I was shocked over how little detail he put into the different records being made and his relationship with the different members of the band.  It was as if it was all just a huge haze for him and a few tiny things stood out.  Especially him being raped!  I mean really no more detail of how it effected your psychological well being or anything?  Dissapointing.  Although it's 288 pages I'd say it's pushing it to say that there's 200 pages of writing.  Lots of empty pages and half pages and pictures.
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 08:11:57 PM »
I'm disappointed already and I haven't ever read it yet. So there isn't any crazy rock n roll stories, huh? Could someone spoil me with something juicy?
I had the midwife naked and alone

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 08:17:26 PM »
Based on the reviews, it seems like a very quick, but not an informative read. Kind of disappointing considering.

Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 08:32:59 PM »
I'm disappointed already and I haven't ever read it yet. So there isn't any crazy rock n roll stories, huh? Could someone spoil me with something juicy?

There aren't any good ones.  Actually thinking back to it there aren't any at all
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 09:23:23 PM »
not necessarily. sometimes people do not want to be included in books that may incriminate them in illegal activity.  ;)
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 09:24:36 PM »
I hear he says Mary tricked him into joing VR, as she was concerned abour his career, well really his $$$$$??
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 09:57:31 PM »
yea, 2 kids to raise, bills to pay & you have a husband shoving $$$$ up his arm daily with very little coming in.

Whatta bitch.
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

Yanks241

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 10:35:38 PM »
Anyone else notice some contradictions to Mary's book???  Also he didn't even mention the arrest for domestic abuse when Mary went in to detail that it was over getting prescription pain killers...

Aylin

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Whadayawannano?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 11:06:34 PM »
I haven't read it yet, but I've got a feeling that the reason why Scott doesn't go inot too much detail is because he doesn't remember much of it.  It probably seems like a blur and as if it was someone elses life.

But, I was hoping it would be more like the "the devil gives you the first for free" article, which I love.  From what you guys are saying, it's more of a skim over of things for the beginner fan.  Which is maybe what he was going for...

Also, I wonder how much of this was actually written by Scott.  In between albums and touring, I don't see how he would have been able to get into the 'zone' enough to write an insightful book.  I wonder if it was more like he sat down with the editor regulary and just told his stories, or even phoned them in, while the editor put things together and chronologised it all.  That way the stories he would tell would be more factual than insightful, rather than sitting with pen and paper and pouring his heart out.  Dunno.  I just can't see Scott really putting a lot of effort into this book, even though we know that he is a great writer and procrastinator.  Don't spell check me please..
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 11:36:14 PM »
Just finished it..For the people who are not hardcore fans this would be a fantastic book...for us we already know all this stuff anyway.  It is cool to hear it come from him but it is not exactly what i expected.

I read it all within 2 hours, fast read lots of cool pics
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫