September 29, 2024, 06:28:40 PM

Author Topic: "Not Dead & Not For Sale" Reviews  (Read 23747 times)

VegasCrackerman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "so much depends on the weather"
    • View Profile
Re: "Not Dead & Not For Sale" Reviews
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2011, 03:54:20 AM »
Loved the book - in typical STP fashion, Scott keeps you wanting the NEXT thing!!!
2016 Concerts:
6/3 Vanilla Ice
6/8 The Cure
6/25 Public Enemy

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2011, 03:55:05 AM »
I got the book as a graduation gift this past weekend and finished it last night. Definitely think some people here bashed it a little too hard...while it certainly could have been better, I still really enjoyed reading it. All of the pictures and scrapbook stuff was cool too
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

That Random Guy

• BE's random bisexual madman.
  • Co-Pilot
  • "I'm in love with love"- SW
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2011, 06:31:33 AM »
"I can only describe it as if you walked in to a bar and saw Scott and get chatting to him about his life story, he would tell you a great story but keep all the details for his close friends."

i agree completely

That's the sense I got too when I read the sample. I think I'm going to pass and get Steven Tyler's book instead. Much more interesting of a read from what I've read.

I'm just saying, nothing ST comes out with would surprise anybody anymore. On the other hand, Scott did make a very personal revelation that takes balls to say.

I got the book as a graduation gift this past weekend and finished it last night. Definitely think some people here bashed it a little too hard...while it certainly could have been better, I still really enjoyed reading it. All of the pictures and scrapbook stuff was cool too

Exactly!! The drag pic and the Kiss pic were my favs of the band. Not to mention that bit on racism in the scrapbook.
STP doesn't just make awesome songs, they make awesome songs about life.

ArnoldLayne

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2012, 01:16:10 PM »
Just finished reading, took about 2,5hrs.
What a lame book...I didn't count, but at least 1/3 of the pages are empty or have full page picture etc.
All the periods are rushed through.
No insight in any particular subject.
Few interesting points but nothing more.
Was it really worth publishing this??  >:(

Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
Fugazi - 2000-10-10
Stone Temple Pilots - 2001-08-21
The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24

Humble Kidney Pie

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Hold on to something still.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2012, 02:49:47 PM »
Yes.
Picked a song, sang a yellow nectarine.

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2012, 07:14:01 PM »
What a lame book...I didn't count, but at least 1/3 of the pages are empty or have full page picture etc.

You have to go into to it with a certain state of mind, and that is accepting the fact that Scott Weiland doesn't know how to write. To this day it baffles me how someone who has written beautiful lyrics, I'm talking perfection, is at the same time poorly-written and poorly-spoken.

But yeah, accept the book for what it is, and you'll allow yourself to enjoy it. I'd say the only downside is that it could have been a little more dense with information. I wanted to know more about that whole situation with Scott dating the same girl as Rob, and that was nowhere to be found...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 07:15:55 PM by MrKerosene »
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

ArnoldLayne

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2012, 07:43:17 PM »

You have to go into to it with a certain state of mind, and that is accepting the fact that Scott Weiland doesn't know how to write. To this day it baffles me how someone who has written beautiful lyrics, I'm talking perfection, is at the same time poorly-written and poorly-spoken.

But yeah, accept the book for what it is, and you'll allow yourself to enjoy it. I'd say the only downside is that it could have been a little more dense with information. I wanted to know more about that whole situation with Scott dating the same girl as Rob, and that was nowhere to be found...

82 of 238 pages are black/white or "headline" pages. So over 33% of contest is pointless. Add picture pages you have more than 110 pages of non-text pages (ALMOST HALF!!). Also too many pages with only littlest of text....

I dont believe one second Scott wrote one sentence, rather he spoke and someone was typing. He has one hell of a story tell so I really expected MORE.

Slash's book is perfect opposite: good story telling, intersting anecdotes and LOTS of text.
Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
Fugazi - 2000-10-10
Stone Temple Pilots - 2001-08-21
The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2012, 10:32:12 PM »

82 of 238 pages are black/white or "headline" pages. So over 33% of contest is pointless. Add picture pages you have more than 110 pages of non-text pages (ALMOST HALF!!). Also too many pages with only littlest of text....

I dont believe one second Scott wrote one sentence, rather he spoke and someone was typing. He has one hell of a story tell so I really expected MORE.

Slash's book is perfect opposite: good story telling, intersting anecdotes and LOTS of text.

I wouldn't say that Weiland's a bad writer. The book wasn't very insightful, but there was an article that he wrote in maybe 2005/06 that profiled his life with drugs which was very well written. It had a lot more emotion behind it as well. I was hoping his book would be something more like that.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2012, 10:40:16 PM »

I wouldn't say that Weiland's a bad writer. The book wasn't very insightful, but there was an article that he wrote in maybe 2005/06 that profiled his life with drugs which was very well written. It had a lot more emotion behind it as well. I was hoping his book would be something more like that.
Yep, the article in Esquire. I was 16 when I read that the first time and it blew my mind
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2012, 10:51:51 PM »

Yep, the article in Esquire. I was 16 when I read that the first time and it blew my mind

Thank you, sir, for reminding me! I'm gonna read that article again.