September 29, 2024, 08:25:07 PM

Author Topic: "Not Dead & Not For Sale" Reviews  (Read 23757 times)

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: "Not Dead & Not For Sale" Reviews
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2011, 05:51:08 PM »
I gotta read mine, Ive had it for a week ... hard to read a book when the weathers so nics outside
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
Anyone who thinks this book was anything other than a total piece of shit, is in denial.

If you told the story of your life, would you spend 90% of it talking about your job?

If my 'job' was being a rock star, than yes
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

Humble Kidney Pie

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Hold on to something still.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2011, 06:30:52 PM »
Anyone who thinks this book was anything other than a total piece of shit, is in denial.

That's cool and all, but from the writing and recent interviews, you can tell Scott is all burnt out from being a rockstar.  So now, to him, having this job for the past 20 years, is just like having any other job for 20 years.  It's his job, not his life, and he really looks at it that way.  At least, that's what I get from the book.
  If you told the story of your life, would you spend 90% of it talking about your job?

If my 'job' was being a rock star, than yes
Picked a song, sang a yellow nectarine.

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2011, 10:08:37 PM »

Asslicker is the trending term these days ;)  ::)
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2011, 06:53:23 AM »
Hello, it's late.... but I just started reading it today, and am at Page 100.  I'm actually surprised at how much I like it.  It is a very enjoyable read, and I feel like Scott is really honest. It is very interesting to read about things from his perspective.  I can see why some people would be disappointed if they were expecting an Encylopedia of STP with this book, but I think it is great for what it is.   I may not be as big a fan as some of you, but I feel like I learned quite a few things already.

gotofavre

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2011, 07:01:47 AM »
just finished the book...it was a nice read,nothing groundbreaking..i figured it would focus mostly on the ex-wives and drugs(and it does) I was just hoping he would leave enough room for some good STP stories and although he does a good job telling the tale of how the band formed and got off the ground,Scott almost seems to breeze through the next 20 years with the band with a few tidbits and song lyrics thrown in,a bit of a letdown but like some others on the board have mentioned I wasn't expecting this to be the Encyclopedia of STP or anything but it would have been nice to have afew more stp stories in there,i think he talks about Velvet Revolver for maybe 4 or 5 pages which was also alittle surprising...all in all not a bad book but i do think its probably 5-10 years too early,none of the plots are resolved in the book (relationship with Mary,Velvet Revolver,and the STP reunion is almost too new to do any reflection on it yet) Scott does a great job narrating the book and the pictures are cool,still a must read for even the casual STP fan plus the fact that it shouldnt take no more than 2 hours to read from cover to cover   

laura

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Too Cool Queenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2011, 02:03:18 PM »
My favorite part of the book is on page 164.  I stared at that photo for a long time.  Such pure joy in Scott's face!  I suspect he doesn't experience that nearly enough.  Hell, I suspect most of us don't!  I wish him many more moments just like that one.
I am
Trampled under sole of another man's shoes
Guess I walked too softly.--S. Weiland

goduffgo

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2011, 12:07:58 AM »
i like the book but yes there is hardly any detail!

would have liked to have known more about the albums and STP and Velvet Revolver backstage stuff.
i love him to bits still :)
the read was like i walked into a bar and Scott was there and we started chatting...telling you some stories after some small talk but not giving away too much but you walk away happy that he let you in to some of his life from his view

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2011, 02:24:10 PM »
I finally read this book, I liked it.  Nothing great but I thought it was a real good read.  He could have expanded on alot of things though, one thing being STP. 

I liked how the book goes all over the place,  sort of keeps you on your toes, maybe thats why it was a quick read because nothing really lagged on for pages and pages. 

That mugging story was curious/crazy and now I know why his tooth looked like that a few years ago.
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2011, 10:21:35 PM »
Actually, here's some photos of Scott right after the Paris incident. Sorry if they are in the book. I don't have it, so I don't know.

http://s55.radikal.ru/i149/1105/b9/d234d4e3eb38.jpg
http://s008.radikal.ru/i304/1105/0c/e69c4006fcae.jpg
http://s012.radikal.ru/i321/1105/03/44ba0f88b5d9.jpg
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

laura

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Too Cool Queenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2011, 03:33:57 AM »
I had seen one of these photos before, but I didn't know about the connection to the Paris incident.  He is so completely unselfconscious.  Or, I guess there's another possibility--just completely oblivious???
I am
Trampled under sole of another man's shoes
Guess I walked too softly.--S. Weiland

goduffgo

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2011, 02:42:45 PM »
Hey

here is my review on the book

http://goduffgoreviews.blogspot.com/2011_06_01_archive.html

let me know what you think

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2011, 03:48:19 PM »
Hey

here is my review on the book

http://goduffgoreviews.blogspot.com/2011_06_01_archive.html

let me know what you think

"I can only describe it as if you walked in to a bar and saw Scott and get chatting to him about his life story, he would tell you a great story but keep all the details for his close friends."

i agree completely
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

That Random Guy

• BE's random bisexual madman.
  • Co-Pilot
  • "I'm in love with love"- SW
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2011, 02:26:14 AM »
I got it on Sunday, worked yesterday, and read it today. Pretty good read, learned somethings I didn't know before.
STP doesn't just make awesome songs, they make awesome songs about life.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2011, 03:36:41 AM »
"I can only describe it as if you walked in to a bar and saw Scott and get chatting to him about his life story, he would tell you a great story but keep all the details for his close friends."

i agree completely

That's the sense I got too when I read the sample. I think I'm going to pass and get Steven Tyler's book instead. Much more interesting of a read from what I've read.

Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..