September 28, 2024, 12:23:26 AM

Author Topic: Concert Reviews (non STP)  (Read 50535 times)

robrhre

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Grab the hate and drown it out
    • View Profile
Re: Concert Reviews (non STP)
« Reply #285 on: September 15, 2013, 06:52:51 AM »
I just got back from the Pepper show. I'm not a huge fan, but it was only $22.50 with fees and seemed like a good time. They had two opening acts. RedGreenGold is sorta like Rage meets Bob Marley and I really enjoyed them. The second opener, Grieves, was alright. Pepper hit the stage at 11:03 and played until 12:26. It was the most energetic crowd I've ever been a part of. It was also a very young crowd, mainly 22-30 years old. Pepper was very good, although they only played 83 minutes. They got the crowd very hyped the entire set, but the whole time I was thinking these cats can't do half the shit the Deleo's, Kretz, and Weiland can. Perhaps that is unfair to them since they don't exactly target the same demographic. However, none of their music can really inspire an individual or touch an individual's soul in my opinion. I think I enjoyed the set slightly less because of the previously mentioned facts. Overall, I can see why people who like meaningless lyrics ( I don't mean that offensively) really enjoy their act. Having said that, I much rather see Scott Weiland on his worst day than Pepper on their best day. Scott's lyrics are personal and pain can be heard throughout. Pepper simply sings about sluts and catching waves. In addition, I know they don't have the capability of writing one STP type of genius tune in their career. Long story short, if you accept then for what they are Pepper is great. Just don't except to see the type of genius STP brings to a gig.
MM 3/10/09 STP 10/6/09 EC 6/19/10 SP7/16/10
STP 10/19/10 3EB 5/11/11 B182 8/12/11
Godsmack 8/16/11 Incubus 9/17/11
Foo's 11/8/11 Bush 12/2/11 JA 3/10/12 Bush 8/1/12
3DG 10/27/12 SW 11/29/12 SW 3/11/13 SW 8-20-13 Pepper 9/14/13 CTE 10/25/13 AM! 1/15/14 Weezer 4/1/14

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 15, 2013, 05:42:43 PM »
I just got back from the Pepper show. I'm not a huge fan, but it was only $22.50 with fees and seemed like a good time. They had two opening acts. RedGreenGold is sorta like Rage meets Bob Marley and I really enjoyed them. The second opener, Grieves, was alright. Pepper hit the stage at 11:03 and played until 12:26. It was the most energetic crowd I've ever been a part of. It was also a very young crowd, mainly 22-30 years old. Pepper was very good, although they only played 83 minutes. They got the crowd very hyped the entire set, but the whole time I was thinking these cats can't do half the shit the Deleo's, Kretz, and Weiland can. Perhaps that is unfair to them since they don't exactly target the same demographic. However, none of their music can really inspire an individual or touch an individual's soul in my opinion. I think I enjoyed the set slightly less because of the previously mentioned facts. Overall, I can see why people who like meaningless lyrics ( I don't mean that offensively) really enjoy their act. Having said that, I much rather see Scott Weiland on his worst day than Pepper on their best day. Scott's lyrics are personal and pain can be heard throughout. Pepper simply sings about sluts and catching waves. In addition, I know they don't have the capability of writing one STP type of genius tune in their career. Long story short, if you accept then for what they are Pepper is great. Just don't except to see the type of genius STP brings to a gig.

i had a chick take to me a free Pepper show and i was embarrassed to be seen there once i heard their music, no offense haha

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 15, 2013, 05:48:05 PM »
i was at the Irvine Meadows stop for Uproar to see Walking Papers, Jane's Addiction, and Alice In Chains. Walking Papers was at a side stage so i was real close and got one of Barrett Martin's drum sticks. I initially had loge tickets for the main stage but as i was walking over there I heard KROQ playing STP's OUT OF TIME so i stood around to jam because i really like the from the bridge to the end. right after the song finished, the dj said can anyone name the artist of that song so i ran up and yelled STONE TEMPLE PILOTS WITH CHESTER BENNINGTON!!!they were surprised how fast i got it and upgraded me to PIT TICKETS, i got to the pit early enough to be front row and pretty dead center for Jane's and Alice. It pays to know your STP!!! also Perry held my hand and Will Duvall handed me a pick right before a song. later i caught a few more picks but i really cherish the one Will gave me and Barrett's drum stick. this amazing concert experience was made possible thanks to STP!!!!!!!!

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 15, 2013, 06:52:10 PM »
i was at the Irvine Meadows stop for Uproar to see Walking Papers, Jane's Addiction, and Alice In Chains. Walking Papers was at a side stage so i was real close and got one of Barrett Martin's drum sticks. I initially had loge tickets for the main stage but as i was walking over there I heard KROQ playing STP's OUT OF TIME so i stood around to jam because i really like the from the bridge to the end. right after the song finished, the dj said can anyone name the artist of that song so i ran up and yelled STONE TEMPLE PILOTS WITH CHESTER BENNINGTON!!!they were surprised how fast i got it and upgraded me to PIT TICKETS, i got to the pit early enough to be front row and pretty dead center for Jane's and Alice. It pays to know your STP!!! also Perry held my hand and Will Duvall handed me a pick right before a song. later i caught a few more picks but i really cherish the one Will gave me and Barrett's drum stick. this amazing concert experience was made possible thanks to STP!!!!!!!!

Cool story.  Had a similar story a few years ago at a RHCP show.  The show seemed to be missing a headliner.  Jane's and S Weiland would be a cool show.  Weiland sings the crap out of the mountain song. 

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 15, 2013, 10:29:47 PM »

Cool story.  Had a similar story a few years ago at a RHCP show.  The show seemed to be missing a headliner.  Jane's and S Weiland would be a cool show.  Weiland sings the crap out of the mountain song.

thats awesome! always makes for a fun experience. i love how weiland sings mountain song. it would be a dream come true to see him do that with Jane's

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 03, 2013, 05:43:48 AM »
Was lucky to check out Depeche Mode at Staples this weekend.  Great catalog.  A band that has fought it's own internal strife.  A mercurial frontman.  Lots of similarities to STP.  Great show.  Great songs.  Great lead singer.  Had a lot of fun.

robrhre

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Grab the hate and drown it out
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 26, 2013, 06:07:39 PM »
I saw Cage The Elephant last night in Wilmington, NC. Very odd venue, it was at a big high school sports complex and the stage was on a practice field. It was labeled as a festival, but only three bands played so I don't see how that's true. CTE only played for 59 minutes, but that is all I needed. Best concert I have ever been to. The energy was incredible all night. Matt crowd surged about 45 feet deep into the crowd. I'm not being full of shit when I say he didn't stay still for three straight seconds all night. The side is fucking crazy and I honestly don't see how he can even
move the next day. They played the following and maybe one or two more:

Ain't No Rest For The Wicked
Back Against The Wall
Come A Little Closer
In One Ear
Spiderhead
Shake Me Down
Halo
It's Just Forever
Aberdeen
Sabertooth Tiger
Take It Or Leave It
Black Widow
Teeth

Yeah, that's about 70% of the setlist coming from a CD that's only been out a few weeks and the crowd still dig every fucking tune. That's the mark of a great band!
MM 3/10/09 STP 10/6/09 EC 6/19/10 SP7/16/10
STP 10/19/10 3EB 5/11/11 B182 8/12/11
Godsmack 8/16/11 Incubus 9/17/11
Foo's 11/8/11 Bush 12/2/11 JA 3/10/12 Bush 8/1/12
3DG 10/27/12 SW 11/29/12 SW 3/11/13 SW 8-20-13 Pepper 9/14/13 CTE 10/25/13 AM! 1/15/14 Weezer 4/1/14

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 27, 2013, 08:36:39 AM »
I saw Cage The Elephant last night in Wilmington, NC. Very odd venue, it was at a big high school sports complex and the stage was on a practice field. It was labeled as a festival, but only three bands played so I don't see how that's true. CTE only played for 59 minutes, but that is all I needed. Best concert I have ever been to. The energy was incredible all night. Matt crowd surged about 45 feet deep into the crowd. I'm not being full of shit when I say he didn't stay still for three straight seconds all night. The side is fucking crazy and I honestly don't see how he can even
move the next day. They played the following and maybe one or two more:

Ain't No Rest For The Wicked
Back Against The Wall
Come A Little Closer
In One Ear
Spiderhead
Shake Me Down
Halo
It's Just Forever
Aberdeen
Sabertooth Tiger
Take It Or Leave It
Black Widow
Teeth

Yeah, that's about 70% of the setlist coming from a CD that's only been out a few weeks and the crowd still dig every fucking tune. That's the mark of a great band!

Fucking love Cage!  That's 7/10 songs from the new album live in one show!
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 28, 2013, 05:53:33 PM »
Saw Pearl Jam for the second time last night in Baltimore (first time was May 2010 in Bristow, Virginia) and they were fucking phenomenal. Pearl Jam is my favorite band after STP, and I have to say last night was the best concert I've ever been to. I'm too tired to post tons of details, but here's the epic setlist:

Pendulum
Hard to Imagine
Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town
Lightning Bolt
Lukin
Corduroy
Mind Your Manners
Given to Fly
MFC
Sirens
Habit
Daughter
(Walk on the Wild Side tag)
Wishlist
Present Tense
Spin the Black Circle
Let the Records Play
Setting Forth
(Eddie Vedder song)
Unthought Known
Rearviewmirror
Encore:
Yellow Moon
Man of the Hour
Nothingman
I'm Waiting for the Man
(The Velvet Underground cover)
Better Man
(Save it for Later tag)
Do the Evolution
Blood
Porch
Encore 2:
Once
Love, Reign O'er Me
(The Who cover)
Black
Alive
Rockin' in the Free World

It was the first time EVER that Pearl Jam played in the city of Baltimore, which is pretty crazy. Hard to describe the feelings I had when Eddie said "good evening Baltimore"
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 09, 2013, 11:10:57 PM »
Saw NIN at Staples last night. Fucking amazing. They rocked through a 2.5 hour set and played their new album in its entirety. STP should take some notes.

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #295 on: November 10, 2013, 09:09:15 PM »
Saw NIN at Staples last night. Fucking amazing. They rocked through a 2.5 hour set and played their new album in its entirety. STP should take some notes.
Their recent shows, basically since Hesitation Marks dropped, have been amazing. Trents voice is in peak condition, arguably better than he has been since With Teeth and the band is definitely bringing a great vibe too. They've slayed the new stuff and absolutely dominated the old stuff. Pretty Hate Machine-era stuff has never been better. For anyone who might be interested, I definitely recommend checking out some performances of "Terrible Lie" from their current tour, it is spot on.

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 13, 2013, 08:23:57 PM »
Saw My Bloody Valentine at the Hammerstein Ballroom last night. Got up to the barricade right in front of Kevin Shields. It was without a doubt the loudest show I've ever been to, even with earplugs. It was fucking awesome. During the last song, they went into the infamous 15 minute noise holocaust where the building felt like it was shaking and people's clothing and hair were being moved. They said it's going to be their last show for a long time so I'm happy I caught them before they left.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 13, 2013, 08:49:11 PM »
Their recent shows, basically since Hesitation Marks dropped, have been amazing. Trents voice is in peak condition, arguably better than he has been since With Teeth and the band is definitely bringing a great vibe too. They've slayed the new stuff and absolutely dominated the old stuff. Pretty Hate Machine-era stuff has never been better. For anyone who might be interested, I definitely recommend checking out some performances of "Terrible Lie" from their current tour, it is spot on.

Will not get the entire appreciation unless you were there.  The visual was awesome and you will not get this on video.  There is no substitute for being there at the show.  None.  Absolutely hate when people try to give opinions based on video vs. those that saw them live. 

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #298 on: November 13, 2013, 10:12:57 PM »

Will not get the entire appreciation unless you were there.  The visual was awesome and you will not get this on video.  There is no substitute for being there at the show.  None.  Absolutely hate when people try to give opinions based on video vs. those that saw them live.

Lol. Calm your tits, bud. Not that I give a fuck or should have to justify myself to you, but I saw them live in St. Louis. All I was saying is that "Terrible Lie" has been a consistently well performed highlight and I was speaking so that those who hadn't been lucky enough to catch them could get a recommendation to watch a specific, great track being phenomenally performed. Before you jump somebody's ass, better assess what they're saying.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 18, 2014, 10:34:43 PM »
Saw Lady Gaga in Lake Tahoe.  Interesting......  Was impressed by her voice when she did a couple of songs w/ just piano and her.  Thought she was more of a lip sych artist.  Other than that......eh.