July 08, 2024, 07:21:40 PM

Author Topic: Concert Reviews (non STP)  (Read 45174 times)

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Concert Reviews (non STP)
« Reply #210 on: July 01, 2012, 10:02:25 AM »
Scott Lucas and the Married Men again.  Kicked ass, again.

pjstp

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 22, 2012, 10:28:22 PM »
Doobie Brothers/Chicago show last night at Gexa in Dallas. Really fun show, my sister's father in law won some contest and got to sing a song on stage with them. I personally thought the Doobie Brothers were better than Chicago, but the best part of the show was when both bands played together in the encore. Probably the best crowd of any concert I've ever gone to. For a show that I didn't plan on going to it turned out to be a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 10:32:19 PM by pjstp »
STP: 2/19/2011 - Thackerville, OK; 4/30/2011 - Birmingham, AL; 8/16/2011 - Austin, TX; 8/17/2011 - Dallas, TX; 11/5/2011 - Concho, OK
SW: 3/27/2013 - Dallas, TX; 4/30/2014 - Dallas, TX; 5/3/2014 - Little Rock, AR; 9/20/2014 - Shreveport, LA; 11/9/2015 - Dallas, TX

Chewals

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 23, 2012, 01:41:05 AM »
Saw Modern English and The Fixx last night. Both pretty decent shows, I couldn't ask for more seeing as this show was free.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #213 on: July 23, 2012, 03:35:55 AM »
Saw Sevendust at Mojoe's in Joliet this past Tuesday. Killer show! As always, a very high energy show from the hard rock veterans.

Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 23, 2012, 04:17:13 PM »
I saw The Agonist last night, don't know if you guys know them, they are pretty good live. Alissa has some sick vocals! It's amazing how she can go from growling to clean singing with such ease. The only down side was that the show was pretty short, about 1 hour and 10 minutes, some 14 or 15 songs. Fans have been waiting for them to come here for a long time (they canceled 2 times before), so maybe they could have extended their set a little longer. Other than that, very cool show.
"I am trampled under sole of another man's shoes...Guess I walked too softly"

Tuf_Duff In Chains

• Sky Captain
  • THE Man in The Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 25, 2012, 03:45:57 AM »
Saw Sevendust at Mojoe's in Joliet this past Tuesday. Killer show! As always, a very high energy show from the hard rock veterans.
I hope to see them soon I heard they might take a Hiatus soon after their next album comes out

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 25, 2012, 02:17:07 PM »
So I saw Fuel and Filter last night at Rams Head Live in Baltimore. I'm not a huge fan of either band, but I like them enough that I knew I would enjoy them live. I had seen Fuel once before (last October) and they were good live. They were just as good if not better last night, the crowd was bigger at this venue and you could definitely tell the band was feeding off the energy. Brett Scallions is the only original member left in the band (I wouldn't want to see them with any other singer anyway), and he's a good frontman. Lots of energy and his voice is still good, even though you can tell he strains a little bit to hit the higher notes.

Anyways, Filter came on after Fuel, and by that time it was after 11:00 and the crowd had become considerably smaller, to the point that I felt bad for Richard Patrick and the rest of the guys in Filter. I like Filter, but like Fuel more so before their set started I wasn't nearly as excited for them just because the crowd had gotten so much smaller and there was a definite lack of energy in the venue. When Filter came out, everything changed though. They sounded good live and Richard Patrick still has it as a singer, but he was shockingly one of the best frontmen I have ever seen. He was super active and got the crowd to do a complete 180 energy-wise. He talked a lot, but was really chill and humble and acted more like a young, unheard-of musician as opposed to someone famous and well-established. He crowdsurfed twice, both times me and my friend (who's a much bigger Filter fan than I am) were among those that got to hold him up.

Then at the end of the show (during Hey Man Nice Shot), Richard thanked the crowd profusely and then said he wanted to meet every one of us, and that he would sign autographs and talk to people at the merchandise counter. As Hey Man Nice Shot ended, my friend and I were actually the first people to start walking over to the merch counter and I turn around and Richard Patrick is right there! Right in the middle of the floor of the venue walking through everyone! I kind of blurted out a "hey whats up man" and he said hey and put his arm around me and gave me a little sidearm hug. He got to the counter and my friend and I got a picture with him and thanked him quickly and let him move on the to next group of fans. It wa so cool how connected he was to the crowd and how he genuinely wanted to spend time with people, sign autographs, and take pictures. Without his attitude and showmanship, Filter would have been just an average band live but Richard Patrick really made it an unexpected and memorable night.

Here's the picture we took with him. That's me on the right

My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

MyFavoriteCagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'll breathe your life, Vick's Vapor life
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 25, 2012, 02:38:03 PM »

Anyways, Filter came on after Fuel, and by that time it was after 11:00 and the crowd had become considerably smaller, to the point that I felt bad for Richard Patrick and the rest of the guys in Filter. I like Filter, but like Fuel more so before their set started I wasn't nearly as excited for them just because the crowd had gotten so much smaller and there was a definite lack of energy in the venue. When Filter came out, everything changed though. They sounded good live and Richard Patrick still has it as a singer, but he was shockingly one of the best frontmen I have ever seen. He was super active and got the crowd to do a complete 180 energy-wise. He talked a lot, but was really chill and humble and acted more like a young, unheard-of musician as opposed to someone famous and well-established. He crowdsurfed twice, both times me and my friend (who's a much bigger Filter fan than I am) were among those that got to hold him up.

Then at the end of the show (during Hey Man Nice Shot), Richard thanked the crowd profusely and then said he wanted to meet every one of us, and that he would sign autographs and talk to people at the merchandise counter. As Hey Man Nice Shot ended, my friend and I were actually the first people to start walking over to the merch counter and I turn around and Richard Patrick is right there! Right in the middle of the floor of the venue walking through everyone! I kind of blurted out a "hey whats up man" and he said hey and put his arm around me and gave me a little sidearm hug. He got to the counter and my friend and I got a picture with him and thanked him quickly and let him move on the to next group of fans. It wa so cool how connected he was to the crowd and how he genuinely wanted to spend time with people, sign autographs, and take pictures. Without his attitude and showmanship, Filter would have been just an average band live but Richard Patrick really made it an unexpected and memorable night.

Yeah man, I saw them back in May and they had a very similar experience with Meriwether. I just didn't like how political he was after like every fuckin song. Nonetheless, awesome performance live. He also made a joke calling this the "endless summer of Take a Picture". Anyways, at one point, the band did a jam towards the end of the set that included Whole Lotta Love and War Pigs, I was wonderin if they did that at the show you went to?
You'll never lose it cuz you never had it

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 25, 2012, 03:18:40 PM »
Yeah man, I saw them back in May and they had a very similar experience with Meriwether. I just didn't like how political he was after like every fuckin song. Nonetheless, awesome performance live. He also made a joke calling this the "endless summer of Take a Picture". Anyways, at one point, the band did a jam towards the end of the set that included Whole Lotta Love and War Pigs, I was wonderin if they did that at the show you went to?
Interesting, Richard Patrick only got political once, and that was before they did the song "Soldiers Misfortune" or something like that, I can't remember if that's the right name of the song or not.

And yeah, they did do a jam with War Pigs near the end and Brett Scallions from Fuel came back out and sang War Pigs which was pretty cool. Speaking of that, I forgot to mention that Fuel randomly started playing Free Bird for a good 2 minutes or so in the middle of their set lol
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #219 on: August 01, 2012, 05:30:31 AM »
I hope to see them soon I heard they might take a Hiatus soon after their next album comes out

I heard the same thing too. Morgan and Clint have a side project going too entitled Call Me No One. If there is a band that deserves a break, it is them. They have been going non-stop for 15 years or so.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #220 on: August 01, 2012, 08:29:32 AM »
So I saw Fuel and Filter last night at Rams Head Live in Baltimore. I'm not a huge fan of either band, but I like them enough that I knew I would enjoy them live. I had seen Fuel once before (last October) and they were good live. They were just as good if not better last night, the crowd was bigger at this venue and you could definitely tell the band was feeding off the energy. Brett Scallions is the only original member left in the band (I wouldn't want to see them with any other singer anyway), and he's a good frontman. Lots of energy and his voice is still good, even though you can tell he strains a little bit to hit the higher notes.

Shit man. I would've loved to see Fuel and Filter. I'm glad they're still out there and performing well. I'm a bigger Fuel fan than Filter, but even so. I wouldn't mind hearing Take My Picture or Hey man, Nice Shot live. Cool though either way, man. Hemorrhage, Bittersweet, Shimmer, and Won't Back Down/Bring You Hell would've been absolutely epic if they played any of them. 

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 01, 2012, 05:56:37 PM »
Saw my boy Sam Roberts, great show.

Nothing much beats being outside on summers night, by the lake, having a nice buzz going seeing one of your favs bands and belting out everytune
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

robrhre

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Grab the hate and drown it out
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 03, 2012, 09:48:52 PM »
I recently saw Bush with The Chuck Shaffer Picture Show at the House of Blues in Myrtle Beach on August 2nd. The opening band was better than I expected. They had a cool story about how their drummer is from Los Angeles and knows somebody who is involved in The Transformers movies, maybe the director or producer, I don't know. Anyways he said "this next song was supposed to be in a little movie called The Transformers, but we got beaten out at the last second by a band called Linkin Park". Bush was fucking amazing, they played from 9:01 to 10:31, making it a 90 minute performance exactly. Gavin and crew brought the energy all night, Gavin did some cool stuff. He went deep into the crowd, had sex with his guitar, and was just full of energy all night. What an amazing performance. Here is the setlist as best as I can remember. I seen them on December 2nd and this time they did not play The People That We Love or Baby Come Home or I believe in you, but they did play Prizefighter, Alien, and a cover of Pink Floyd's Breathe which they did not last time. Anyways, this is the setlist that I remember, might not be 100% correct.

1. Machinehead
2. Prizefighter
3. All My Life
4. Chemicals Between Us
5. The Sound Of Winter
6. Everything Zen
7.  Greedy Fly
8. Alien
9. The Afterlife
10. Land Of the Living
11. Little Things
ENCORE
12. Breathe (Pink Floyd Cover)
13. Come Together (The Beatles Cover)
14. Glycerine
15. Comedown

The middle might be out of order and I think one song might be missing, either way I think this was the shortest show of the tour by 1-2 songs, which surprised me because they specifically decided to come back after only about nine months. If anything I was expecting this show to be about 10 minutes longer than all the other ones, not shorter. Oh well, either way it was 10/10!
MM 3/10/09 STP 10/6/09 EC 6/19/10 SP7/16/10
STP 10/19/10 3EB 5/11/11 B182 8/12/11
Godsmack 8/16/11 Incubus 9/17/11
Foo's 11/8/11 Bush 12/2/11 JA 3/10/12 Bush 8/1/12
3DG 10/27/12 SW 11/29/12 SW 3/11/13 SW 8-20-13 Pepper 9/14/13 CTE 10/25/13 AM! 1/15/14 Weezer 4/1/14

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 08, 2012, 05:38:06 AM »
Drove up to Kansas City for a Band of Horses / My Morning Jacket show who, once again, prove that they are one of, if not the best live act currently working today.

jno

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 11, 2012, 05:11:52 PM »
A couple of quick recaps from this summer.  If anyone is from the Western New York area, you may know the long-standing tradition of "Thursday at the Square" now known as "Thursday at the Harbor."  Free shows on Thursday nights that moved from downtown Buffalo to the Waterfront/Canalside area by the First Niagara Center.  (Where the Sabres play) 

Had a chance to see two shows there -- first up, Fitz and The Tantrums.  If I could describe their work in one word, it would be fun.  They played their first album "Pickin Up the Pieces" in it's entirety, gave us a song from the upcoming second release called "Outta My League" and covered "Sweet Dreams" by the Eurythmics and The Raconteurs "Steady As She Goes."  The highlight for me was their hit "Moneygrabber" which ended the night.  Also saw one of the most impressive things I've ever seen at a concert, when their multi-instrumentalist went from playing a saxophone to a harmonica with a seamless transition. 

Next up, a band that's quite familiar to Buffalo...Arkells.  They've opened for the Tragically Hip a couple of times and are no strangers to the area.  High-energy set with cuts from both of their albums, with a little heavier emphasis on their sophomore effort, "Michigan Left."  Even though it started to pour during the encore, it didn't dampen anyone's enthusiasm.  Like the Hip, Arkells are very big in Canada, but have a smaller, "cultish" following here.  Hoping to see STP in Hamilton in a few weeks if my work and life schedule will allow it.