October 04, 2024, 08:38:54 AM

Author Topic: *OFFICIAL* STP Song Tourney: Final Match-Up  (Read 7207 times)

shapy

• nice to know me
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
*OFFICIAL* STP Song Tourney: Final Match-Up
« on: April 28, 2011, 05:40:55 AM »
Results of the 2 Semi Final Match-Ups:

Plush (47%) - Vasoline (53%) A bit of surprise to me.
  Interstate Love Song (72%) - Adhesive (27%) Adhesive made a great showing in this tourney, but couldn't overcome the mighty Interstate Love Song.

We started with 77 songs from all of STP's albums as well as the   unreleased outtakes. 5 rounds (and a preliminary round) later, we are   down to 2 songs and the final match-up of the tourney. As someone   already mentioned, both songs come from STP's 2nd album, Purple:   Vasoline vs Interstate Love Song.

(4) Vasoline -
  The fourth seeded song in the tourney had a few some-what easy match-ups   in the first two rounds. Vasoline defeated 1 song from Core, 2 songs   from Purple, 1 from SLDD, and 1 from self titled. Vasoline first   defeated Regeneration, almost by a landslide of 87% to 12%. In the next   round, Vasoline made pretty good work over Huckleberry Crumble 75% to   24%. The third round, Vasoline saw some tougher competition. It barely   defeated Silvergun Superman by a small margin of 3%. In the Elite 8,   Vasoline got by Kitchenware & Candybars 58% to 41%. And, most   recently, Vasoline saw its toughest competition of the whole tourney   against Plush. It just squeaked by to advance to the finals, in what   some may consider an upset. Clocking in at 2 minutes and 56 seconds,   Vasoline is the second song from STP's second album. It immediately   became a hit for the group and has been a prevalent song on the radio   for 17 years.

(2) Interstate Love Song -
  The second seeded song in the tourney had some stiff competition   throughout. Interstate Love Song took out 4 songs from the coveted album   of Tiny Music, and only 1 other song from a different album -- No.4. It   faced no other album competition. It made short work out of Art School   Girl in the first round 85% to 15%. And So I Know brought a bit more   competition in the second round but fell 72% to 27%. The third round   Interstate was able to over take Atalanta 65% to 34%. In the Elite 8,   Interstate faced its toughest competition in Trippin on a Hole in a   Paper Heart and only squeaked by with 3% more votes. Trippin on a Hole   was a heavy favorite and had previously dominated all of its match-ups.   And, of course, most recently, Interstate just took out the some-what   controversial song of the tourney, Adhesive. Interstate Love Song clocks   in at 3 minutes and 14 seconds. As the fourth track on Purple, its   opening guitar slide immediately captures the listeners' ears and has   permanently captured high recognition from music critics and billboards   as one of the very best rock songs ever written. Interestingly enough,   when Interstate hit #1 on the charts, the song it replaced was Vasoline.

Honorable Mentions:
  (1) Plush -
  Many would and could argue that Plush is STP's biggest and greatest hit.   Now, hit or no hit, Plush strikes hard from start to finish and really   help put STP on the music map. At 5 minutes and 13 seconds, it may have been   the standout song from their debut album, Core. Plush faced some great   competition in the tourney and eliminated some heavy fan favorites as   well. (Still Remains, Tumble in the Rough, Seven Caged Tigers.) Plush   seemed like an almost sure thing to win, or at the very least make it to   the finals. However, the number 1 seed finally fell to Vasoline. Maybe   next time it will go farther, or not nearly as far.

(43) Adhesive -
  As the 43rd seeded song, some may have never foreseen Adhesive to make   it the semi finals. Its victories over Crackerman, Days of the Week, Big   Bang Baby, and Army Ants were a hot topic of debate on these boards.   Some die-hard fans exclaim Adhesive to be the very best STP song. Others   are not so quick to agree. In either case, the love for Adhesive truly   came out in this tourney. At 5 minutes and 31 seconds, this little gem   on Tiny Music will certainly be seeded higher next time.

So, let me just say, that this experience of running the tourney has   been a fun, enjoyable, and awesome responsibility. I'm really happy that   it was well received (sans the voting fiasco in the last round) and I'm   grateful for the privilege of being able to contribute something like   this here for all of us to enjoy. There are some little things to be   tweaked for the next time, but I'll have no problem at all undertaking   the responsibility again. I hope everyone had fun and are willing to   participate again in the future. No idea how long we should wait to do   it again. Yearly? Seasonally? Never again? What's your input?

I'll post one final thread to officially announce the winner when this poll has closed.

By the way, here is the most updated tourney brackets for your viewing pleasure -------> HERE.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 05:54:52 AM by shapy »
have fun, have fun, have a whole lot of fun!

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: *OFFICIAL* STP Song Tourney: Final Match-Up
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 05:46:56 AM »
I thought you did an awesome job with the whole thing and it was a lot of fun participating...it should definitely happen again sometime.

As for the final round, I'm going with Vasoline. I love Interstate but Vasoline has just got that edge...
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 07:49:38 AM »
Yeah, amazing job with the tournament, thanks for all the work putting it together!

I had to go with Interstate Love Song, just because it's as perfect as a song can be. Like I've said before... it's their most timeless song, as well as most diverse in it's appeal.  It's 17+ years old and still sounds new, and it'll probably still sound just as good for years to come. 

It may not be my #1 personal favorite, but we're not supposed to be voting on "feelings" or "personal favorites", just what represents the band the best, and ILS is it.  Like I said, you could probably play a bunch of STP songs for a thousand non-fans, and ILS would most likely come out on top.  There was actually some VH1 show going over the top songs of the 90's or one of those list shows, and one of the celebrities on it said ILS was the best song of the 90's. (I know I'm kinda biased toward STP, but if it's not the best, it's easily top 3 of the whole decade... above anything else they've done.)
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 12:58:38 PM »
ILS!  Been overplayed by all and never gets old.  As much as I LOVE some of the rarities that are not mainstream had to vote for it!  I am confident it will be #1...I called it week 1 =)
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 01:50:06 PM »
I went with ILS... but really you cant go wrong with either song here

Great job shapy!
I say we do this annually
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 02:18:59 PM »
yeah great job with this. It was awesome. 2 deserving finalist I think, too

elmanco13

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 03:56:14 PM »
Where do you go to vote for the final matchup? This is a tough one but I have to go with Interstate Love Song

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 04:04:03 PM »
Where do you go to vote for the final matchup? This is a tough one but I have to go with Interstate Love Song
top of the page?
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 04:52:51 PM »
I went with ILS... but really you cant go wrong with either song here

Great job shapy!
I say we do this annually

A "Live" tournament could also also be a good idea.   But, it'd probably be too crazy with non-uniform songs & concert experiences. (Although a song against itself [acoustic vs electric] would be interesting.)
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Silver guns and Candybars

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 05:14:42 PM »
Vasoline easily.

Silver guns and Candybars

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 05:18:35 PM »
Next time we do this can we just vote for our favorites?
The second I found out we were voting for what we think represents STP the best I already knew from the first round ILS would win, even if it would have gone against Plush in the end
Its like we are voting from a record companies point of view, not from a die hard fan base point of view

FirstSexTypeThingOnMars

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 09:07:34 PM »
ILS all the way

RangerJim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • My band website:
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 09:17:13 PM »
Rob's Bossa Nova chords made into a modern rock song= Superb!  Interstate all the way!
Sophisticated yet different, without making a fuss about it.

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 09:22:06 PM »
Kinda shocked that "Vasoline" made it this far. Gotta go with "Interstate".

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 09:26:10 PM »
Interstate Love Song! it's plain perfect, you can even sing the guitars, drums and bass lines not just the lyrics ;)

Good job shapy! Very enjoyable

Let's do it again, maybe for each record and then match-up the final six.
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"