June 30, 2024, 05:51:27 PM

Author Topic: SWB at Gramercy Theatre - May 17th  (Read 45884 times)

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: SWB at Gramercy Theatre - May 17th
« Reply #240 on: May 20, 2011, 03:42:40 AM »
Totally agree.  I would have no problem hearing no STP/VR songs at a solo tour, and I find the STP shouters there more than a bit annoying as well. 

Even though its a cover itself, how bad-ass would an acoustic "Somethings Must Go This Way" be?  A show of all 12BB/Happy tracks would make me very... happy :) (see what I did there?)

Yeah, I'd love to hear that too, let alone anything acoustic.  He used to really shine during his acoustic performances, and it'd be nice if they made a comeback. 

It'd be really nice if he'd do the songs they never even play like Adhesive... Hello It's Late.... Samba Nova... I Got You... Loving The Alien... etc...  But even if he played those STP/VR songs, certain people would still be mad b/c they're not "hits".   It's like he can't win, which is sadly the vibe I'm getting from the book interviews so far.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 20, 2011, 03:46:55 AM »
I always respected him as just a performer and never idolized him so I am not disappointed in anything.   I just support him and wish him the best.  I wouldn't be suprised if the tardiness is a passive-aggressive move because he resents doing signings.  I don't fault the guy for that.  Scott does what he does and that is why a lot of us like him.

Ditto!  I'm glad that even the most of the folks who feel slighted are able to walk away atleast appreciating parts of the day and not writing it off as a total loss.

Here's to hoping everyone's future STP/SW endeavours render textbook definitions of ideal!

Cheers!
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

Casper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 20, 2011, 03:47:03 AM »
Man all I wanted to do was come on here and post a review of how much I loved the show, but I guess not just yet.

I love Scott the artist, but I lost respect for Scott the person over the past few days. If you have a problem with it, then oh well. I think I’ll live. The vast majority of people on this Board are fans of STP and love anything and everything Scott the artist does. I think because of that some people think he can do no wrong. That’s where the problem begins. Call it what you want… excuses, enabling, whatever. I’m just as guilty of this as the next super-fan. If Scott did something that didn’t show him in a positive light, I made excuses for him. And with these past two days, yea, maybe it was traffic, the weather, maybe it was management, maybe it was Gramercy or Barnes and Noble. All valid arguments because they are all very plausible, but realistically when something repeatedly happens time and time again over all these years? That’s a pattern. This doesn’t happen with a lot of other artists. Why does it keep happening with him?

Saying you’d fly all over the world and wait for days just to see Scott sing a tune is totally your business and I’m not hear to preach how you go about it. But you need to understand that it’s not for everyone. People are different. Everyone has different tolerance levels. Just because you have no problem with all the “rock star” shit he pulls and call people complainers if they disagree or don’t like it is just ignorant and you aren’t looking at the situation objectively.

As for the people who were throwing beer, booing, cursing, yelling out drug jokes, complaining about the songs, I agree, they can all go fuck themselves. I was super happy to be there for that show. I’m not upset about the performance, the setlist, his voice, how the signings were so strict or how he fuckin’ wears polka dot ties with striped shirts. I’m pissed about constantly waiting all these extra hours for everything. People are acting like being upset with his tardiness is like we’re beating his kids with Slash’s Gibson.

As for the show itself, I fuckin’ loved it. The videos everyone has posted on here are great and I thank you for capturing it. He sounded much better in person. Especially on the Nirvana track and Unglued. He sounded like old school Scott. I think the band was tight as hell even if it was just a rehearsal like performance. Scott handled the crowd really well considering all the shit he was taking.
adhesive love

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 20, 2011, 03:53:46 AM »
Yeah, I'd love to hear that too, let alone anything acoustic.  He used to really shine during his acoustic performances, and it'd be nice if they made a comeback. 

Not to intentionally fall into the category of people saying Weiland should follow steps of Vedder or Cornell....BUT....
it would be so great if he was able to just put together a small acoustic tour like the latter two have recently done.  Not sure how much guitar he can play, but hit the road with Doug and just put a night of acoustic wonders together.

It'd be a thing of beauty.  And I can even picture it as a bit of nice calm tour to even have to play, could provide Scott a nice rest between STP stuff, yet still keep up shows & appearances without draining too much on a nightly basis.

If STP did it that'd just be perfection, but Scott doing it solo, almost just as nice.

....is what he said as he reached over, loaded his recording of STP's unplugged set, and pressed play....

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

Casper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 20, 2011, 04:01:26 AM »
He was 2 hours late in NJ, Casper was there. He will be here to throw in his 2 cents.
It was 2.5 hours actually. I took a photo of my watch, lol.
adhesive love

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 20, 2011, 04:23:44 AM »
He was 2 hours late in NJ, Casper was there. He will be here to throw in his 2 cents.

He must of been in the limo doing vocal exercises ;)
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

Humble Kidney Pie

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Hold on to something still.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 20, 2011, 05:18:17 AM »

Well, the book signing was in Ridgewood, NJ.  I live in Wood-Ridge, NJ which is about 20 (without traffic) minutes away from Ridgewood.  Supposedly, according to some cats from my town,Scott and posse were chilling at the Wood-Ridge memorial library from like 850 - 930 trying to figure out why there was no book signing.  lol.

Also, not a joke.  Completely serious.
Picked a song, sang a yellow nectarine.

Humble Kidney Pie

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Hold on to something still.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 20, 2011, 05:19:23 AM »
Guess I should have stayed home.
Picked a song, sang a yellow nectarine.

DumbLove

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 20, 2011, 07:52:46 AM »
Man all I wanted to do was come on here and post a review of how much I loved the show, but I guess not just yet.

I love Scott the artist, but I lost respect for Scott the person over the past few days. If you have a problem with it, then oh well. I think I’ll live. The vast majority of people on this Board are fans of STP and love anything and everything Scott the artist does. I think because of that some people think he can do no wrong. That’s where the problem begins. Call it what you want… excuses, enabling, whatever. I’m just as guilty of this as the next super-fan. If Scott did something that didn’t show him in a positive light, I made excuses for him. And with these past two days, yea, maybe it was traffic, the weather, maybe it was management, maybe it was Gramercy or Barnes and Noble. All valid arguments because they are all very plausible, but realistically when something repeatedly happens time and time again over all these years? That’s a pattern. This doesn’t happen with a lot of other artists. Why does it keep happening with him?

Saying you’d fly all over the world and wait for days just to see Scott sing a tune is totally your business and I’m not hear to preach how you go about it. But you need to understand that it’s not for everyone. People are different. Everyone has different tolerance levels. Just because you have no problem with all the “rock star” shit he pulls and call people complainers if they disagree or don’t like it is just ignorant and you aren’t looking at the situation objectively.

As for the people who were throwing beer, booing, cursing, yelling out drug jokes, complaining about the songs, I agree, they can all go fuck themselves. I was super happy to be there for that show. I’m not upset about the performance, the setlist, his voice, how the signings were so strict or how he fuckin’ wears polka dot ties with striped shirts. I’m pissed about constantly waiting all these extra hours for everything. People are acting like being upset with his tardiness is like we’re beating his kids with Slash’s Gibson.

As for the show itself, I fuckin’ loved it. The videos everyone has posted on here are great and I thank you for capturing it. He sounded much better in person. Especially on the Nirvana track and Unglued. He sounded like old school Scott. I think the band was tight as hell even if it was just a rehearsal like performance. Scott handled the crowd really well considering all the shit he was taking.

For a long time fan who wasn't at the show or signing, my first reaction is like a lot of the others on this board - I would have loved to have had the opportunity to meet the man in person and see such an awesome show (judging by the videos and setlist) in person.  If he came to Chicago and played that exact setlist in a venue just as small, I would definitely wait and put up with all the shit even after all the complaints.  Sure I would have been annoyed to wait that long, but it would be worth it (for me at least) because the man is electric when he lays down a track or gets on stage regardless of his many problems.  Of course I wish he was more fan-friendly and considerate like a Dave Grohl, and there are no excuses for the constant tardiness, but I assume that most here put up with all the garbage because most do not hold a candle to Scott when it comes to musical artistry in our eyes.

This is a well written and level headed response to the experience and don't see the point of attacking any of the people pissed or venting from the show.  I'm just curious of, knowing what you as hardcore fans know over years of following the band, you expected from Scott?  Punctuality has never been a strength of his, so what made this experience so different?  Yeah, it sucks and there really would be no excuse to justify the delays, but was it not worth it to see the show you saw with songs that he most likely will never play again aside from maybe the upcoming LA show?  I'm not one to defend his bad behavior, but unfortunately it's part of the package and I'd personally take the bad with the good rather than nothing at all.

In an unrelated note, I had to give my first applaud for the line about Slash's Gibson - that's poetic brilliance, my friend.  And although I won't make excuses for Weiland's erratic tardiness, I will defend the polka dot ties and striped shirts :)  His sense of style is badass!

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 20, 2011, 10:37:28 AM »
Scott sounds pretty good.

His solo band just lacks groove.  About as square as you can get.

Casper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 20, 2011, 12:37:11 PM »
I'm just curious of, knowing what you as hardcore fans know over years of following the band, you expected from Scott?  Punctuality has never been a strength of his, so what made this experience so different?  Yeah, it sucks and there really would be no excuse to justify the delays, but was it not worth it to see the show you saw with songs that he most likely will never play again aside from maybe the upcoming LA show?
I guess I just thought to myself that since Scott is getting older and the event would probably only really have hardcore fans attending (being solo and on a weekday) he would still be late, but not over do it. And it's not any one event that has made my personal feelings on him change, it's the cumulative effect (Rock on the Range, PNC, a few VR shows, etc.). The question "is it worth it" seems to get harder and harder each time. Members like Peebs and some others have been effected by this longer then me... it just gets frustrating after a while. It's still worth it for me, but I feel that starting to change.
adhesive love

Casper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 20, 2011, 12:42:07 PM »
Well, the book signing was in Ridgewood, NJ.  I live in Wood-Ridge, NJ which is about 20 (without traffic) minutes away from Ridgewood.  Supposedly, according to some cats from my town,Scott and posse were chilling at the Wood-Ridge memorial library from like 850 - 930 trying to figure out why there was no book signing.  lol.

Also, not a joke.  Completely serious.
My watched showed 9:35PM when he walked in the door of Bookends and if that is true, would you accept that? How consistently stupid can his management be? lol
adhesive love

Casper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 20, 2011, 12:49:38 PM »

Not to intentionally fall into the category of people saying Weiland should follow steps of Vedder or Cornell....BUT....
it would be so great if he was able to just put together a small acoustic tour like the latter two have recently done.  Not sure how much guitar he can play, but hit the road with Doug and just put a night of acoustic wonders together.

It'd be a thing of beauty.  And I can even picture it as a bit of nice calm tour to even have to play, could provide Scott a nice rest between STP stuff, yet still keep up shows & appearances without draining too much on a nightly basis.

If STP did it that'd just be perfection, but Scott doing it solo, almost just as nice.

....is what he said as he reached over, loaded his recording of STP's unplugged set, and pressed play....
I would love a mini acoustic tour. It would be a great change up; show his range and versatility. The idea of "A Night with STP." But the question comes up with can he sing that style anymore? I was wondering why STP dropped certain songs and that mid-set acoustic. It's possible it might be because his voice isn't capable of doing it anymore. I hope I'm wrong though... He did do some acoustic tracks with the SWB for radio back when HIG came out.
adhesive love

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 20, 2011, 04:57:37 PM »

I would love a mini acoustic tour. It would be a great change up; show his range and versatility. The idea of "A Night with STP." But the question comes up with can he sing that style anymore? I was wondering why STP dropped certain songs and that mid-set acoustic. It's possible it might be because his voice isn't capable of doing it anymore. I hope I'm wrong though... He did do some acoustic tracks with the SWB for radio back when HIG came out.

Good point.  I think he's got the chops for the songs that were basically written as such (his last solo tour I know he rocked a mean Atlanta, even though it was amped you're really not changing much by pulling the chord).  But at the same time, Scott & STP have always had a really good ability to either re-work songs (not just drop tuning, but more like STT from their unplugged set, or even Unglued from the NYC show the other night) or re-imagine them to make them work with what his voice can handle, and yet still be respectible.

Would it be that same booming voice from MTV Unplugged, probably not for an entire acoustic set.  BUT, that could make way for a setlist composed of the SW catalog that we rarely (and sometimes never) heard.

I'd give it a 15% chance of ever happening, but damn would that be wonderful.

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 20, 2011, 05:09:13 PM »

For a long time fan who wasn't at the show or signing, my first reaction is like a lot of the others on this board - I would have loved to have had the opportunity to meet the man in person and see such an awesome show (judging by the videos and setlist) in person.  If he came to Chicago and played that exact setlist in a venue just as small, I would definitely wait and put up with all the shit even after all the complaints.  Sure I would have been annoyed to wait that long, but it would be worth it (for me at least) because the man is electric when he lays down a track or gets on stage regardless of his many problems.  Of course I wish he was more fan-friendly and considerate like a Dave Grohl, and there are no excuses for the constant tardiness, but I assume that most here put up with all the garbage because most do not hold a candle to Scott when it comes to musical artistry in our eyes.

This is a well written and level headed response to the experience and don't see the point of attacking any of the people pissed or venting from the show.  I'm just curious of, knowing what you as hardcore fans know over years of following the band, you expected from Scott?  Punctuality has never been a strength of his, so what made this experience so different?  Yeah, it sucks and there really would be no excuse to justify the delays, but was it not worth it to see the show you saw with songs that he most likely will never play again aside from maybe the upcoming LA show?  I'm not one to defend his bad behavior, but unfortunately it's part of the package and I'd personally take the bad with the good rather than nothing at all.

In an unrelated note, I had to give my first applaud for the line about Slash's Gibson - that's poetic brilliance, my friend.  And although I won't make excuses for Weiland's erratic tardiness, I will defend the polka dot ties and striped shirts :)  His sense of style is badass!

you know it's become "part of the package" because we (the fans or his enabling handlers etc...) allow it to happen.
He's no kid anymore. Neither are we. He's 43. It's time to grow up.
His contemporaries who have a similar histories have all grown up and can get to commitments on time. Perry Farrell is a first class flake. Always was, always will be. Was as hardcore if not worse drug addict. Also had fucked up things happen to him (his Mother commited suicide when he was 3). But you know what....He's clean, whether or not his performances are good or bad now he shows up on time & does give 110%. 
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)