September 12, 2024, 04:05:07 AM

Author Topic: SWB at Gramercy Theatre - May 17th  (Read 50453 times)

stp080808

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: SWB at Gramercy Theatre - May 17th
« Reply #135 on: May 18, 2011, 06:08:02 PM »
I would be happy to hear anything Scott had to play.  What a really cool opportunity to hear him play a totally different set of songs.  Wish I could've been there.  Seems like the day was a nightmare scheduling wise with Howard Stern at 9am, book signing at 7, show  at 8.  Did he really only sign for an hour and then disappear for three before making it to the Gramercy?  I don't see how a signing at 7 and a show at 8 is even physically possible.
08-03-00 Spectrum
05-31-08 PNC  08-08-08 Musikfest
8-31-10  Mohegan Sun 09-03-10  The Borgata 09-05-10  PNC
08-14-11 Musikfest

robrhre

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Grab the hate and drown it out
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2011, 06:08:50 PM »
It should have been all 12BB and HIG, with maybe one or two STP songs in the mix. Or if he wanted to play all covers, why not advertise it like that?

That I agree with. While I appreciate the "different setlist" that we rarely get from an STP show, it would have been cool to know that you weren't going to hear any 12BB or HIG going in.

Yeah, considering it is a Scott Weiland show. Then they do not play one song from either of his albums!
MM 3/10/09 STP 10/6/09 EC 6/19/10 SP7/16/10
STP 10/19/10 3EB 5/11/11 B182 8/12/11
Godsmack 8/16/11 Incubus 9/17/11
Foo's 11/8/11 Bush 12/2/11 JA 3/10/12 Bush 8/1/12
3DG 10/27/12 SW 11/29/12 SW 3/11/13 SW 8-20-13 Pepper 9/14/13 CTE 10/25/13 AM! 1/15/14 Weezer 4/1/14

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2011, 06:09:19 PM »
It should have been all 12BB and HIG, with maybe one or two STP songs in the mix. Or if he wanted to play all covers, why not advertise it like that?

That I agree with. While I appreciate the "different setlist" that we rarely get from an STP show, it would have been cool to know that you weren't going to hear any 12BB or HIG going in.

Yeah, considering it is a Scott Weiland show. Then they do not play one song from either of his albums!
FAME
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

robrhre

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Grab the hate and drown it out
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2011, 06:12:47 PM »
Yeah, but that is a cover from his CD. Let me make it clear, original SW material from 12BB or HIG.
MM 3/10/09 STP 10/6/09 EC 6/19/10 SP7/16/10
STP 10/19/10 3EB 5/11/11 B182 8/12/11
Godsmack 8/16/11 Incubus 9/17/11
Foo's 11/8/11 Bush 12/2/11 JA 3/10/12 Bush 8/1/12
3DG 10/27/12 SW 11/29/12 SW 3/11/13 SW 8-20-13 Pepper 9/14/13 CTE 10/25/13 AM! 1/15/14 Weezer 4/1/14

hawk900

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2011, 06:15:26 PM »

I don't see how people can defend Scott for coming on three hours late. That is pretty fucked up, on the other hand, it is rock and roll.

I also don't understand people defending a situation when THEY WEREN'T EVEN THERE.
  If Scott was there I'll defend it. Also you mentioned to many drunks.  I saw nirvana and sound garden in Detroit in 90.  Those guys left the stage in the middle of the show several times came back 15 20 minutes later did whatever they want. I left covered in blood and beer and lost a tooth from a biker or cowboy boot and it was fuckin one of the most amazing nights ever. I've seen bands not even show up cause theyre who knows what and play the next night at a completely different venue in the same state.
  Fanboy? ??? ??? ??? lowered yourself to name calling.  Man you must be old or from TMZ.
  Proud of ya Scott for the creativity and even doing this and keeping the scene and BE forums alive and keep on truckin man!!!!!!
 I'd love to get one these day job critics in here and throw all the trials and tribulations that Scott's been through in their life and see if theyre still doing the life on the road thing.  I'd bet a year's salary that they'd be in a hole in the ground or in rest of life seclusion.   
 Good posts from 99% of you. HIG 12bb you could have put that in your cd player on the ride home. Not sure all my stats are correct but some of those tunes I'm not sure but have never been played live.
 If so WOW!!!!All I need is one unique song in the night. I dont care if it was at 4am it's history man.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:20:26 PM by hawk900 »

Aylin

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Whadayawannano?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2011, 06:21:55 PM »
I don't know what to make of this...I see what Scott was trying to do, it's a concert for his book so it's fair that he had a right to do something different.  But maybe it should have been advertised differently.  But then again, I would have been happy just to se him perform these songs.  The lateness - I dunno, I can see that it sucks for the fans, but I doubt that he was sitting in his dressing room thinking 'ahh fuck the fans, I'm not ready yet'  I'm sure there was a reason for it.  It does seem like some shitty scheduling.

I didn't like his shot at Eric though.  Even if it wasn't a shot, for him to say something like that in a solo show is a bit off.  He can make fun of his friends all he likes while they're there, but to say something like this 'behind his back' is proably not going to go down too well with Eric.
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade

Phil507

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2011, 06:37:14 PM »
Hi all,

I browse these forums occasionally but, while I'm a huge STP/Scott Weiland fan (and no not the knucklehead kind, I really like 12 Bar Blues and thought Happy In Galoshes was spotty but enjoyable), never felt the need to post.  After witnessing what I saw last night, thought I'd share a few thoughts.

I'd say if anyone/group were to blame for this, it'd be both Scott himself and his management.  Someone should have had enough sense/foresight to think "Hey, so this book signing at 4 will likely go for a while since this is a big artist and lots of people will come to meet Scott.  Perhaps we should schedule a late show so everything goes according to plan."  But, of course, I know I'm asking a lot for people in the "cool rock n' roll" world to, ya know, think and plan ahead.  Additionally, I thought the concept behind the show last night was interesting but should've been called out beforehand.  If Scott and his band had said "hey guys, we recorded a covers album to tie in with Scott's book and we'll be playing material you haven't heard us do before at this show" than, fine.  However, fans of his solo work probably bought tickets to the show hoping to hear said material.  For anybody who went expecting STP/VR material than, yeah, I can't feel sorry for you.

Additionally, it really bums me out that a lot of STP fans are the kind of lumberjack/lunkheads that the whole "alternative" music scene started out against.  I thought it was a real treat to hear the band do Radiohead, Depeche Mode and other mainstream-while-left-of-center bands.  Sucks that some of the fans aren't as open-minded.  On the other side, it's just not polite to be 3 hours late.  From everything I've seemed to learn about Weiland, while he's a talented musician, he just doesn't seem to be that considerate of a human being.   Not saying I have to personally like everyone who's music I enjoy (I mean, I'm an Oasis fan, enough said) but it's still a bit disheartening.   

On a happier note, is there really an STP show at the Williamsburg Waterfront?  I doubt Scott himself could fill that place up (6000 capacity) so, if it's STP, hope y'all are expecting at least a $70 + ticket price. 

Phil507

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2011, 06:40:31 PM »
And...right after I posted that long rant I saw Doug Green's note about "material we've never played live before".  But, still, that's a little bit misleading.  I think a better call-out would be necessary.  The ticket price was cheaper than normal but, still, good to let people know what they're getting yourself into.

Hey, maybe next time caveat it with a "Ok guys, on the books it's 9 but, really, it'll be closer to 11:30.  The promoter really wants to milk as many beer sales from you morons as possible."

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 18, 2011, 06:54:55 PM »
oh so much drama

What a killer setlist! I would have sold my left kidney and a piece of my liver to be there, and I'm sure two guys of that shitty crowd would have bought them ('cause they're gonna need it :P )

Thank you so much for the vids Dr! :-*

So here begin my vids...
This is the most INTERESTING one... its just banter between songs, but listen at 0:40 he goes 'this isnt an STP show'... is that rob? dean? Eric? I hear a steady beat..." then he tries to cover it up. lol. I thought it was funny, but some might see it as a swipe at Eric.
I'm not tagging it as Scott Weiland or anything because i don't want it to become a rumor of a fight in STP land.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9S64B2Xldw

This song is ??

Love that video a few posts above of Waiting for a Superman, that song gets me every time and Scott and the band sounds great.
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2011, 07:11:44 PM »
Hi all,

I browse these forums occasionally but, while I'm a huge STP/Scott Weiland fan (and no not the knucklehead kind, I really like 12 Bar Blues and thought Happy In Galoshes was spotty but enjoyable), never felt the need to post.  After witnessing what I saw last night, thought I'd share a few thoughts.

I'd say if anyone/group were to blame for this, it'd be both Scott himself and his management.  Someone should have had enough sense/foresight to think "Hey, so this book signing at 4 will likely go for a while since this is a big artist and lots of people will come to meet Scott.  Perhaps we should schedule a late show so everything goes according to plan."  But, of course, I know I'm asking a lot for people in the "cool rock n' roll" world to, ya know, think and plan ahead.  Additionally, I thought the concept behind the show last night was interesting but should've been called out beforehand.  If Scott and his band had said "hey guys, we recorded a covers album to tie in with Scott's book and we'll be playing material you haven't heard us do before at this show" than, fine.  However, fans of his solo work probably bought tickets to the show hoping to hear said material.  For anybody who went expecting STP/VR material than, yeah, I can't feel sorry for you.

Additionally, it really bums me out that a lot of STP fans are the kind of lumberjack/lunkheads that the whole "alternative" music scene started out against.  I thought it was a real treat to hear the band do Radiohead, Depeche Mode and other mainstream-while-left-of-center bands.  Sucks that some of the fans aren't as open-minded.  On the other side, it's just not polite to be 3 hours late.  From everything I've seemed to learn about Weiland, while he's a talented musician, he just doesn't seem to be that considerate of a human being.   Not saying I have to personally like everyone who's music I enjoy (I mean, I'm an Oasis fan, enough said) but it's still a bit disheartening.   

On a happier note, is there really an STP show at the Williamsburg Waterfront?  I doubt Scott himself could fill that place up (6000 capacity) so, if it's STP, hope y'all are expecting at least a $70 + ticket price. 

Hey you the Phil that sat next to me at the signing then took the #6 over to the Gramercy???

And STP at the Watefront is gonna be siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick!! So much better than playing another NY shed!!
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 18, 2011, 07:13:48 PM »
I don't see how people can defend Scott for coming on three hours late. That is pretty fucked up, on the other hand, it is rock and roll.

I also don't understand people defending a situation when THEY WEREN'T EVEN THERE.
  If Scott was there I'll defend it.

Yea. We get it fan boy.
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2011, 07:20:15 PM »
Here's Scott signing stuff for some guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt6yIjo05_I

Interview with Matt Pinfield: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LGk8EVoMtE

Those people should've been warned they were going to get the book spoiled
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Phil507

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2011, 08:12:49 PM »

Hey you the Phil that sat next to me at the signing then took the #6 over to the Gramercy???

And STP at the Watefront is gonna be siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick!! So much better than playing another NY shed!!

Nah, I had no interest in going to that.  The book is....well, just not that good.  Story moves too quickly and there's not a lot of depth and detail.   I'm sure it was a fun event though.

Yeah, the Waterfront show will be great.   I hate shed tours.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2011, 08:20:10 PM »
I wasn't there, so I can't judge - BUT the based upon the footage, Scott looked and sounded good.  Sucks that he was late - but Scott is always late.  I haven't been to a show in the last 11 years where he or the band took the stage on time.  Three hours is a long time, so I understand the frustration.

As far as everyone bitching about the setlist... I didn't like it, either.  But there was no reason for anyone to believe that they would play STP/VR/or anytihng off 12BB or HiG.  Doug simply said "songs we haven't played before" - not "songs off previous albums we haven't done live."  We were all anxious to hear from others what was played because no one knew what to expect - be it new material or covers.

Also there's drunks and stoners everywhere.  Tell ya what I think they should start taking random urine and breathalizer tests at every rock n roll concert. That's the way to go especially so they can be miserable like not to mention names.

Eh - I agree with you about the booze (I think it should only be sold at festivals - or at least cut off before things get to the point where people are being obscene or dangerous) - but "stoners" and "urine tests?"  The worst thing someone that's smoked pot before/during a show is going to do is ask you to go get them some food.  I've never heard of or seen someone smoking weed and being obnoxious during a show and ruining someone else's concert experience.  That's just an ignorant statement by, in my opionion, someone that sounds like they know nothing about the effects of marijuana.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"