September 17, 2024, 07:55:38 PM

Author Topic: SWB at Gramercy Theatre - May 17th  (Read 50734 times)

shapy

• nice to know me
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: SWB at Gramercy Theatre - May 17th
« Reply #165 on: May 18, 2011, 10:26:08 PM »
All I'll say is this...

Knowing what I know today, I'd still have gone if I was able to.

Annoying tardiness aside, the set seems really unique and cool. I think it was very personal to Scott and I understand why he chose that style for the night. Seems like he had a roller-coaster day.

The fans that know Scott, will not complain and will understand these type of circumstances. The fans that know OF Scott, will say what they want and not take into consideration anything else.

Scott IS a rock'n'roll megastar. Should anyone really be surprised by ANYTHING he does or say? At least he is showing up and performing -- unlike that fuck-face Axl Rose a few years ago.

I really wish I could've been there. I LOVE NYC! And it seemed like a perfect venue to see this type of artistry.

I feel like I could say more about this whole situation, but I'll digress. I get why some are upset. I'm just saying, that had I been there -- I wouldn't have been.

EDIT: One last thing I do want to comment on -- it slightly bothers me that he said what he said about "hearing a steady beat." Don't think that was necessarily the right thing to say as it could and will heavily be misconstrued. Don't care about the fact that he pointed out he wasn't on stage playing with Robert, Dean, and Eric, but to comment on their performances seemed a bit out of place. I really hope this doesn't further the wedge that may already exist between Scott and the rest of STP's friendship.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 10:29:44 PM by shapy »
have fun, have fun, have a whole lot of fun!

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #166 on: May 18, 2011, 11:18:30 PM »
I cant believe he played Frances Farmer! ITS MY FUCKIGN FAVORITE SONG OF NIRVANA!

I know i wasnt there, but all can i say about waiting for a show is that the 4 hours and a half i waited for the GNR show on march 2010 just made it more exciting.

The expectation gets you anxious and more excited... but well, im 16 and i dont have a work to do next day :/...
Seems like you left me when you broke down

Aylin

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Whadayawannano?
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 18, 2011, 11:41:17 PM »
I just want to say that Scott doing a Nirvana amd Radiohead cover (even though I don't love Nirvana) is so cool.  I actually feel bad for Scott.  He was probably so happy about performing these songs that are special to him after months of identical STP setlists, and to get booed like that must have upset him.  We know how emotional and fragile he can be  :(
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 18, 2011, 11:44:33 PM »
[quote author=shapy link=topic=7680.msg135204#msg135204 date=1305753968

EDIT: One last thing I do want to comment on -- it slightly bothers me that he said what he said about "hearing a steady beat." Don't think that was necessarily the right thing to say as it could and will heavily be misconstrued. Don't care about the fact that he pointed out he wasn't on stage playing with Robert, Dean, and Eric, but to comment on their performances seemed a bit out of place. I really hope this doesn't further the wedge that may already exist between Scott and the rest of STP's friendship.
[/quote]

I was wondering the same thing.  What was that about?

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 18, 2011, 11:53:39 PM »

I was wondering the same thing.  What was that about?

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 18, 2011, 11:58:14 PM »
I love how angry some of these people are;D

Especially everyone bitching about the fact he didn't play anything off 12BB or HIG, cause they're mostly full of shit.  Every one of Scott's solo shows in the past had plenty of retards solely there to hear STP, or VR songs, and they're always the douchebags acting like assholes and pushing up front, just to get wasted and hear the same OLD SONGS AT EVERY SHOW.  So it's really nice to see them disappointed.

The difference is... a real Scott Weiland fan is a fan of Scott Weiland.... NOT just STP or VR.  This wasn't a STP show or a VR show, nor was it billed as one, which he even pointed out during the show!  If you're a fan of the actual musician then you go to see him perform; NOT to play 10-20 year old hits from OTHER BANDS.  He's covered a lot of those songs in the past, and the rest were songs that were directly related to his life and his book.

Don't get me wrong, even as a die hard SCOTT fan, it does suck always waiting around, but it's nothing new... especially for a one off gig like last night.  But, I was waiting around to see Scott Weiland put on a show as a musician.  I wasn't waiting around to hear Plush, ILS, It's So Easy, or any specific songs... because only a retard would do that.  If you want to hear those songs, go to a STP, GnR, VR show, or just listen to the CDs while high-fiving your "bros" and drinking Coor's Light.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 19, 2011, 12:16:39 AM »
I'm still on Scott's side.  He obviously got held up with the book signing.   It probably takes hours and hours to sign everything, otherwise he has to have some ppl leave with no signature and they would just bitch about that instead.  I also didn't know he had made a habit of coming on late...seems like a one-off thing, except for a few bad STP shows a year or so ago.  The Kretz comment was pretty funny too, because a lot of ppl on here have said the same thing.

For some weird reason, I am kind of worried about Scott right now.   I feel like the fans are being too judgemental of him, or that he shouldn't be out doing this right now,  but that he probably has to.   I personally don't think he should be doing a show after the signing, but he probably just needs the extra money.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 12:18:41 AM by Casual »

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 19, 2011, 01:18:55 AM »
I just want to say that Scott doing a Nirvana amd Radiohead cover (even though I don't love Nirvana) is so cool.  I actually feel bad for Scott.  He was probably so happy about performing these songs that are special to him after months of identical STP setlists, and to get booed like that must have upset him.  We know how emotional and fragile he can be  :(

you know how you stop people from booing at you?
Show the fuck up on fucking time!

We obviously weren't one of the drunken frat boys but I was in a group of 4 other people (Casper being one of them)-my one friend had to leave because he has a 5 year old that he has to get up for school, he also runs 3 restaurants. Another friend had to be up at 5, I finally had to leave at 12:30 (during Roadhouse Blues) because if I missed the 1:30 train my next one was at 3:10. Casper & his bro stayed but didn't get home til 4am because of train issues. AND we all had to be at work today.
So please tell me how Mr. "Emotionally Fragile's" time is more important than our time?

Like I said earlier, the set list and story telling we really liked.....and it would have been even more enjoyable if the show started at 10 and we weren't all looking at our watches.

OH and not to mention because the book signing started late I missed the opening band who I know & felt terrible about missing them
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:21:21 AM by Peebs »
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

cotis

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cotisproductions.com
« Reply #173 on: May 19, 2011, 01:57:19 AM »
Putting aside all the tardiness, I felt the show and signing was worth it. Got a sweet new book to read (when I'm done with Chris Jericho's) and got it signed by the author who happens to be one of my favorite lead singers. Not bad. The people throwing beers at the stage (before Scott came on) and yelling shit were wrong, granted they were upset at him being late but still.

Got something I'm working on for you guys coming up in a little bit, most of you will be happy.

Big thanks to Angie for the ticket! Wish I got into the city a little earlier to make the front of the signing line - but what can you do.

STEAK - great to see you again man, nice to chat and everything.

Anyone get some good pictures from either the signing or show?

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 19, 2011, 02:02:14 AM »
oh dear, oh dear.  That took a while to get through all the posts. 

My $.02:

I agree with what someone said earlier in that the only issue was just a call on time management of the signing, and whatever took the delay to show up to the signing.  That's it.

The announced the show a week or two after the signing was announced (whether or not they were planned at the same time, only mgmt knows) but I think it's a good assumption if you say the club is 10 blocks away we can get there in a half hour (being 10pm for 10:30 on stage) and ready to go on.  But it still probably would've been wiser to bump the signing earlier an hour or two.

Scott was late to the signing supposedly because of sound-check at the venue...who knows.  Was he late to start that?  Were there unexpected difficulties in getting things setup?  Can't tell.  So maybe you give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.

Next, the people saying he was 3 hours late to hit stage.  It was an hour.  It stinks yes, but it wasn't 3.  The blame for anyone who says this should really be aimed at mgmt of The Grammercy.  They solicited the show as 7pm.  While many of us know better from experience, or from catching the news from the book show time limit, Gramercy still printed 7pm in their listings, to pack the place and sell $10 beers, and apparent shot-glasses of wine.

And for Scott hitting the stage an hour late.  The big question is, did he sign every book for every person that showed up?  I don't know (as I'm sure most of us dedicated enough on this site wouldn't either) because I got to the signing early to get a good spot.  But did Scott leave the signing at 10pm and just take his sweet time?  Or did Scott choose to go ahead and sign the rest of the people waiting for him.   If anyone knows this, please advise?

Because if Scott stayed to sign ever last book then it's really "damned if you do, damned if you don't" for him in this scenario.  Now I know he had a responsibility to be to the stage at 10:30pm, but if he turned around while there's still a good 100 (just guessing) people left who were waiting for his autograph and said, 'Sorry it's 10pm, I have to get to the show' then 100 people would be saying "Scott's inconsiderate to his fans" for bailing after they waited so long to get the book signed.  But I would also say he chose right because he fulfilled his commitment to his signing and fulfilled the commitment to the show.  And with NYC shows too there's a steep fee you have to pay the longer you push concerts past the curfew (usually 11pm).    BUT, Doug did say that Scott was just leaving B&N @10:30.  Now was that, in the car pulling away ready, or he's just about to finish signing the last book say last goodbyes to fans, B&N mgmt, then get to the car ready?

I dunno, there's a lot that I really think went into it and a lot of people who'd normally dedicate a lot, are pushing directly on Scott.  But the tri-state area was burned just a couple years ago @ PNC which I'm sure regular fans still hold in the front of their minds.  Plus you mix in the fact that so many college or mid-20s  neanderthals feel the need to leave no brain cell behind in the quest for black-outs because they think it makes them special or a leader of some sort.  And it's just bad news.

I was bummed by all the waiting myself (@ B&N and @ Grammercy, but you have to put some on management of SW, mgmt of B&N, mgmt of Gramercy as well).

In the end I feel bad for the people who had things soured for their experience.  It's not right, and it does suck.  Especially if you had your back against the wall in terms of a deadline when you had to leave due to transportation or priorities/responsibilities.  The late show should have been booked as such from the start.

It annoys me when he does, but my dad often says "in NYC, one minute can sometimes cost you an hour."  but he's right.  I've dealt with it first hand when I used to work there.

Having said that.....I'll post my review of the day/show in general.  Kinda bummed cause I wanted to do that now, but I felt maybe putting a thought in on the hot debate would be read with a little more care.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

DrGONZOakaRaoulDuke

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 19, 2011, 02:10:49 AM »
OK... So as  someone who was there Yesterday for all of the day’s events, allow me to  wax-poetic for a moment (i've wanted to use that phrase all day for some  reason, lol) . I was at Barns & Noble at 4:30 PM yesterday for the book  signing so it was clearly a long day, which of course didn't start until after  work. Here is what I'll say, I think the issues that occurred yesterday (if you  call them issues, i had a blast) we're the result of bad planning and  management. I loved the show and the setlist, but I can see how this show could  have been billed differently. WRXP, who presented the show, could have made it  apparent to 'those fans who only expected STP/VR/12BB/HIG' that this was going  to be a special/different show coinciding with the release of  his book.  I know that we here on belowempty know who  Doug G. is, and had the scoop beforehand. However, I don’t think that anyone  else had any idea that this show would be so different,  and in turn those disappointed assholes booing  and throwing shit on stage have a negative impact on the people who really want  to be there and on Scott who clearly was annoyed and didn’t seem like he wanted  to be there.
While I had  an amazing time, I think the days management, the timing - scott hitting the  stage @ 11:45 ( 4:45 after the 7PM doors opened) - compounded with the  unfamiliar set list was  the perfect  storm to piss some people off. 
Personally,  the only thing that slightly bothered me yesterday, was that during his  interviews with both Stern & Pinfield and his onstage banter, he kept  mentioning how the music industry doesn’t sell records anymore and as an artist  you have to be out on the road a lot to make money.  Yet, he really didn’t mention his  appreciation for the fans and the fact that he can go out and people will pay  to hear him night after night. I just didn’t get the sense that he was grateful  for the fans. But at the same time, I’ve seen STP 29 times and I’ve grown to  accept the fact that Scott is Scott.
At the end  of the day, I thought it was worth the time, the money and the effort. I had a  fuckin blast and only wish it had been organized a bit better.

I forgot to add that I was surprised that Doug came on stage at 10:30ish and announced that scott would be on in 15 min. I just found that odd.

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 19, 2011, 02:12:34 AM »
I'm sorry but Scott pulls this shit cuz 90% of his delusional fans allow him to. He's late for EVERY show. I feel bad for Eric, Dean, and Robert.. They wait for him and up with his shit cuz they know they have mouths to feed and stp is their bigger paycheck. During the VR break up, I could NOT comprehend WHY people were sticking up for him when Slash said that Scott was pulling Axl Rose shit by making the fans wait. He wasn't as late as he is for some STP shows, and I belive it's because the rest of the guys are putting up with it as much as possible to make their dollars.
Fuck that "this is rock n roll" bullshit I'll put up with it, if you're the rolling stones or the doors in their 20s and at their peak. Scott is in his 40s and has kids. You have a book signing where all your biggest fans (who are honestly the only people that care for your book) are attending to, and you let them down.
It's like "hey Scott can you sign 2 CDs and my book?" then you have some security fucker telling you "oh no only books" cuz Scott doesn't wanna sound or look like a dick? Or wait.. It's cuz he doesn't have time, right???  I'm paying for a fuckin book, waiting in line for your ass to sign my book, I buy a ticket for you gig, and you show up 3 hrs late?!?!  But yet you could only sign books cuz you don't have time...   
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 02:14:26 AM by VelvetLounngeFly »
If you only knew..

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 19, 2011, 02:20:07 AM »
oh dear, oh dear.  That took a while to get through all the posts. 

My $.02:

I agree with what someone said earlier in that the only issue was just a call on time management of the signing, and whatever took the delay to show up to the signing.  That's it.

The announced the show a week or two after the signing was announced (whether or not they were planned at the same time, only mgmt knows) but I think it's a good assumption if you say the club is 10 blocks away we can get there in a half hour (being 10pm for 10:30 on stage) and ready to go on.  But it still probably would've been wiser to bump the signing earlier an hour or two.

Scott was late to the signing supposedly because of sound-check at the venue...who knows.  Was he late to start that?  Were there unexpected difficulties in getting things setup?  Can't tell.  So maybe you give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.

Next, the people saying he was 3 hours late to hit stage.  It was an hour.  It stinks yes, but it wasn't 3.  The blame for anyone who says this should really be aimed at mgmt of The Grammercy.  They solicited the show as 7pm.  While many of us know better from experience, or from catching the news from the book show time limit, Gramercy still printed 7pm in their listings, to pack the place and sell $10 beers, and apparent shot-glasses of wine.

And for Scott hitting the stage an hour late.  The big question is, did he sign every book for every person that showed up?  I don't know (as I'm sure most of us dedicated enough on this site wouldn't either) because I got to the signing early to get a good spot.  But did Scott leave the signing at 10pm and just take his sweet time?  Or did Scott choose to go ahead and sign the rest of the people waiting for him.   If anyone knows this, please advise?

Because if Scott stayed to sign ever last book then it's really "damned if you do, damned if you don't" for him in this scenario.  Now I know he had a responsibility to be to the stage at 10:30pm, but if he turned around while there's still a good 100 (just guessing) people left who were waiting for his autograph and said, 'Sorry it's 10pm, I have to get to the show' then 100 people would be saying "Scott's inconsiderate to his fans" for bailing after they waited so long to get the book signed.  But I would also say he chose right because he fulfilled his commitment to his signing and fulfilled the commitment to the show.  And with NYC shows too there's a steep fee you have to pay the longer you push concerts past the curfew (usually 11pm).    BUT, Doug did say that Scott was just leaving B&N @10:30.  Now was that, in the car pulling away ready, or he's just about to finish signing the last book say last goodbyes to fans, B&N mgmt, then get to the car ready?

I dunno, there's a lot that I really think went into it and a lot of people who'd normally dedicate a lot, are pushing directly on Scott.  But the tri-state area was burned just a couple years ago @ PNC which I'm sure regular fans still hold in the front of their minds.  Plus you mix in the fact that so many college or mid-20s  neanderthals feel the need to leave no brain cell behind in the quest for black-outs because they think it makes them special or a leader of some sort.  And it's just bad news.

I was bummed by all the waiting myself (@ B&N and @ Grammercy, but you have to put some on management of SW, mgmt of B&N, mgmt of Gramercy as well).

In the end I feel bad for the people who had things soured for their experience.  It's not right, and it does suck.  Especially if you had your back against the wall in terms of a deadline when you had to leave due to transportation or priorities/responsibilities.  The late show should have been booked as such from the start.

It annoys me when he does, but my dad often says "in NYC, one minute can sometimes cost you an hour."  but he's right.  I've dealt with it first hand when I used to work there.

Having said that.....I'll post my review of the day/show in general.  Kinda bummed cause I wanted to do that now, but I felt maybe putting a thought in on the hot debate would be read with a little more care.

the thing is, you want to believe things like this, and give him the enefit of the doubt but his track record doesn't help it, and everytime he pulls this, there's always a big excuse on why it happened. I don't see this shit happening to anyone else.
If you only knew..

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 19, 2011, 02:35:14 AM »
17th street to 23rd St....6 blocks. 0.9 miles by car. 0.5 miles by foot. One subway stop on the 6 train for us regular folks.
No excuse.

The Gramercy (or the ticket) said DOORS open at 7. It never stated SHOW at 7. The Dirty Pearls got the gig literally last minute. I think they found out at 2pm. They went on around 8:30. I don't know, I missed them  >:(

If your supposed to be in a book store at 7pm...BE THERE AT 7PM. Not 7:45. The Q&A with Pinfield wasn't long, he could of been signing by 7:30, not 8:30. The lady who kept making announcements said "Scott had to be out of the book store by 10pm" So....you go 0.6 miles in a hour and a half? yea. uh. no. So if people were expecting him at 10-10:30 show start and you were in and out of Barnes & noble and made it to Gramercy by 8:30-9 that's waiting 3-2 1/2 hours for the show. I just checked my text messages from last night-I was on my way to The Bar across the street from the gramercy at 8:30. We decided to meet a friend there to have a drink & have some food to kill time. at 10 we went across the street expecting the show to start in 1/2 an hour....another hour and a half later....

Again not one person has answered the question-in what universe is his time more valuable than ours? Does he expect a flight to wait for him OR does he get to the airport on time? Does his dentist or doctor allow him to saunter in a hour & a half after the scheduled appt and screw the patients who arrived on time for their appts?

The tardiness act is getting real old and real thin. And it's pissing off more and more people.
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 19, 2011, 02:39:14 AM »
OK... So as  someone who was there Yesterday for all of the day’s events, allow me to  wax-poetic for a moment (i've wanted to use that phrase all day for some  reason, lol) . I was at Barns & Noble at 4:30 PM yesterday for the book  signing so it was clearly a long day, which of course didn't start until after  work. Here is what I'll say, I think the issues that occurred yesterday (if you  call them issues, i had a blast) we're the result of bad planning and  management. I loved the show and the setlist, but I can see how this show could  have been billed differently. WRXP, who presented the show, could have made it  apparent to 'those fans who only expected STP/VR/12BB/HIG' that this was going  to be a special/different show coinciding with the release of  his book.  I know that we here on belowempty know who  Doug G. is, and had the scoop beforehand. However, I don’t think that anyone  else had any idea that this show would be so different,  and in turn those disappointed assholes booing  and throwing shit on stage have a negative impact on the people who really want  to be there and on Scott who clearly was annoyed and didn’t seem like he wanted  to be there.
While I had  an amazing time, I think the days management, the timing - scott hitting the  stage @ 11:45 ( 4:45 after the 7PM doors opened) - compounded with the  unfamiliar set list was  the perfect  storm to piss some people off. 
Personally,  the only thing that slightly bothered me yesterday, was that during his  interviews with both Stern & Pinfield and his onstage banter, he kept  mentioning how the music industry doesn’t sell records anymore and as an artist  you have to be out on the road a lot to make money.  Yet, he really didn’t mention his  appreciation for the fans and the fact that he can go out and people will pay  to hear him night after night. I just didn’t get the sense that he was grateful  for the fans. But at the same time, I’ve seen STP 29 times and I’ve grown to  accept the fact that Scott is Scott.
At the end  of the day, I thought it was worth the time, the money and the effort. I had a  fuckin blast and only wish it had been organized a bit better.

I forgot to add that I was surprised that Doug came on stage at 10:30ish and announced that scott would be on in 15 min. I just found that odd.

you know what's funny, Tommy London the lead singer for the Pearls tweeted today he was buying a Scott Weiland watch where your 3 hours behind everyone else.  lol

WST (Weiland Standard time) is 15 minutes is actually and hour...