September 17, 2024, 07:49:03 PM

Author Topic: SWB at Gramercy Theatre - May 17th  (Read 50727 times)

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
\'I\'m not paranoid...everyone is just out to get me!\'

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
Re: SWB at Gramercy Theatre - May 17th
« Reply #152 on: May 18, 2011, 08:52:53 PM »
I wasn't there, so I can't judge - BUT the based upon the footage, Scott looked and sounded good.  Sucks that he was late - but Scott is always late.  I haven't been to a show in the last 11 years where he or the band took the stage on time.  Three hours is a long time, so I understand the frustration.

As far as everyone bitching about the setlist... I didn't like it, either.  But there was no reason for anyone to believe that they would play STP/VR/or anytihng off 12BB or HiG.  Doug simply said "songs we haven't played before" - not "songs off previous albums we haven't done live."  We were all anxious to hear from others what was played because no one knew what to expect - be it new material or covers.

Also there's drunks and stoners everywhere.  Tell ya what I think they should start taking random urine and breathalizer tests at every rock n roll concert. That's the way to go especially so they can be miserable like not to mention names.

Eh - I agree with you about the booze (I think it should only be sold at festivals - or at least cut off before things get to the point where people are being obscene or dangerous) - but "stoners" and "urine tests?"  The worst thing someone that's smoked pot before/during a show is going to do is ask you to go get them some food.  I've never heard of or seen someone smoking weed and being obnoxious during a show and ruining someone else's concert experience.  That's just an ignorant statement by, in my opionion, someone that sounds like they know nothing about the effects of marijuana.

You know what was funny, last night I was out in the smoking corral (cigarette, the pot was being consumed inside). There was this guy WACKED on xanax. The bouncers kicked him out. So he's out on the street bobbing & weaving and begging to get back in. One of the dudes in the smoking pen was trying to calm him down, telling him to chill. The guy turns to me and says "I should of given him a bump of coke to equal him out" then proceded to offer me some. I haven't been offered coke at a show since the 90's...
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 18, 2011, 09:07:39 PM »
oh so much drama

What a killer setlist! I would have sold my left kidney and a piece of my liver to be there, and I'm sure two guys of that shitty crowd would have bought them ('cause they're gonna need it :P )

I would enjoy seeing Weiland sing anything, even Justin Bieber covers.  Those people who are complaining about the setlist should just enjoy the fact they saw something totally unique and different.
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

dex14

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 18, 2011, 09:18:17 PM »
You know what was funny, last night I was out in the smoking corral (cigarette, the pot was being consumed inside). There was this guy WACKED on xanax. The bouncers kicked him out. So he's out on the street bobbing & weaving and begging to get back in. One of the dudes in the smoking pen was trying to calm him down, telling him to chill. The guy turns to me and says "I should of given him a bump of coke to equal him out" then proceded to offer me some. I haven't been offered coke at a show since the 90's...

Was this the guy with the leather jacket and long hair? I thought he was on the needle or something man. Last year at the STP show at Gramercy, that same guy came and ran into me. Same thing happened last night. Deja Vu.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 09:20:03 PM by dex14 »

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 18, 2011, 09:38:42 PM »
yes yes!!!  That was him!!! Dude was WACKED!!!! lol
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

DrGONZOakaRaoulDuke

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 18, 2011, 09:48:42 PM »
OK... So as  someone who was there Yesterday for all of the day’s events, allow me to  wax-poetic for a moment (i've wanted to use that phrase all day for some  reason, lol) . I was at Barns & Noble at 4:30 PM yesterday for the book  signing so it was clearly a long day, which of course didn't start until after  work. Here is what I'll say, I think the issues that occurred yesterday (if you  call them issues, i had a blast) we're the result of bad planning and  management. I loved the show and the setlist, but I can see how this show could  have been billed differently. WRXP, who presented the show, could have made it  apparent to 'those fans who only expected STP/VR/12BB/HIG' that this was going  to be a special/different show coinciding with the release of  his book.  I know that we here on belowempty know who  Doug G. is, and had the scoop beforehand. However, I don’t think that anyone  else had any idea that this show would be so different,  and in turn those disappointed assholes booing  and throwing shit on stage have a negative impact on the people who really want  to be there and on Scott who clearly was annoyed and didn’t seem like he wanted  to be there.
While I had  an amazing time, I think the days management, the timing - scott hitting the  stage @ 11:45 ( 4:45 after the 7PM doors opened) - compounded with the  unfamiliar set list was  the perfect  storm to piss some people off. 
Personally,  the only thing that slightly bothered me yesterday, was that during his  interviews with both Stern & Pinfield and his onstage banter, he kept  mentioning how the music industry doesn’t sell records anymore and as an artist  you have to be out on the road a lot to make money.  Yet, he really didn’t mention his  appreciation for the fans and the fact that he can go out and people will pay  to hear him night after night. I just didn’t get the sense that he was grateful  for the fans. But at the same time, I’ve seen STP 29 times and I’ve grown to  accept the fact that Scott is Scott.
At the end  of the day, I thought it was worth the time, the money and the effort. I had a  fuckin blast and only wish it had been organized a bit better.

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 18, 2011, 09:50:29 PM »
My sister was at the show... She just bitched about how late he was andsaid he sounded terrible and how its gonna be the last time she ever sees him live because he always very very late ... its a crowd full of pissed off drunk new yorkers who were left hanging for an hour and a half... Things were bound to get a little nasty sooner or later
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

OnlyDying

• Co-Pilot
  • "Purple Flowers Ease The Pain..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 18, 2011, 09:53:29 PM »
This show was A+++++++++!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Playing Nirvana perfectly?? Hearing Weiland singing an 'In Utero' track, he dominated his Bowie tracks, busted out some Beetles, The Doors cover was PERFECT!!! The 2 15 minute+ Space Jams were UNREAL!!!!!!! Yeh there were some losers yelling, I out yelled them, like Scott even said to the taunters, "FUCK you..."

To all you bitching about the "3 Hour Wait" He had a book signing from 7-10 O Clock and yes signed 700 books. He left there 10:15, went to the Gramercy and came on at 11:30. So it was more of a 45 minute wait which is atypical for Scott... I was BLOWN away by the GREATNESS of the show, the whole atmosphere. It was like seeing a local band at a dive bar only it was one of the greatest legends of all time playing.... FUNKING FLAWLESS A++++++ SHOW!!!!!! Also, "But Not Tonight" ??? ? AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! He was dancin doin his thing, I was left speechless on how great it was....
"Adhesive Love"

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 18, 2011, 09:55:50 PM »
Someone please! recorded But not tonight? even if it's the worst quality ever.
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

OnlyDying

• Co-Pilot
  • "Purple Flowers Ease The Pain..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 18, 2011, 09:59:05 PM »
Don't worry the people I was with video taped A LOT of stuff... Again I have no clue what people are talking about that was THE MOST unique and random and PERFECT show at a venue the size of a Condo... GREATEST show, I wish the REAL fans on here that couldnt make it were there... You guys would have left in AWE as I did... Man, GREAT SHOW!!!!!!!!!!
"Adhesive Love"

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 18, 2011, 09:59:53 PM »
Bleeda blooda

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 18, 2011, 10:02:18 PM »
Don't worry the people I was with video taped A LOT of stuff... Again I have no clue what people are talking about that was THE MOST unique and random and PERFECT show at a venue the size of a Condo... GREATEST show, I wish the REAL fans on here that couldnt make it were there... You guys would have left in AWE as I did... Man, GREAT SHOW!!!!!!!!!!
aww perfect! I'll be waiting your updates on the subject ;)

Roadhouse Blues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2H3G3UUEHc
I think I've mentioned my soft spot for Scott doing The doors.
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 18, 2011, 10:04:49 PM »
This show was A+++++++++!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Playing Nirvana perfectly?? Hearing Weiland singing an 'In Utero' track, he dominated his Bowie tracks, busted out some Beetles, The Doors cover was PERFECT!!! The 2 15 minute+ Space Jams were UNREAL!!!!!!! Yeh there were some losers yelling, I out yelled them, like Scott even said to the taunters, "FUCK you..."

To all you bitching about the "3 Hour Wait" He had a book signing from 7-10 O Clock and yes signed 700 books. He left there 10:15, went to the Gramercy and came on at 11:30. So it was more of a 45 minute wait which is atypical for Scott... I was BLOWN away by the GREATNESS of the show, the whole atmosphere. It was like seeing a local band at a dive bar only it was one of the greatest legends of all time playing.... FUNKING FLAWLESS A++++++ SHOW!!!!!! Also, "But Not Tonight" ??? ? AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! He was dancin doin his thing, I was left speechless on how great it was....

Yes WE know, anyone from here that went to the show was AT the book signing. I was there at 4:00. I waited along with everyone else for him to show up at 7:45...45 minutes late. He started signing at 8-ish...he was SUPPOSED to be out of B&N before 10pm. It doesn't take a hour and a half to go from 17th St to 23rd St.
My time and everyone elses there was just as important as his time.

If you can't keep to the tight schedule, don't make a tight schedule.

RailBrews

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 18, 2011, 10:07:38 PM »

One thing that did not make sense to me was the timing schedule, that was something in their control that could have been managed better IMO. Something had to give. I did speak to an employee at the book store today who said Scott signed very few if any copies for the store which they were disappointed about since they said they had many, many calls today from people inquiring as to signed copies. 

Thanks to all the people who were there and posted reviews, their experience and the videos.