October 04, 2024, 03:31:44 AM

Author Topic: AWESOME cover of Interstate  (Read 4553 times)

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
AWESOME cover of Interstate
« on: April 16, 2011, 11:49:58 AM »
I had the midwife naked and alone

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: AWESOME cover of Interstate
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 02:03:15 PM »
I'm gonna argue that it's really not all that awesome. First off, he doesn't even play the right chords. He's playing a frickin F instead of an E during the pre-solo and it's kind of driving me crazy. Also the signature solo, the coolest part of the entire song, he's not even playing. I'm thinking there's another guitarist that's not pictured in the video. It's really lame that he's trying to make it seem like he's playing that signature riff. If you look at his guitar, he's just strumming chords during that part. Also, whoever is doing the solo part is doing it half ass and wrong... so overall that sucks. His voice is good and he hits all the notes, but he plays with a frickin capo on like the 30th fret. He plays it way too high. It loses it's raw and southern feel and sounds more like a cheesy pop song. Overall, yes, he sings well and he doesn't mess up his playing - but the chords are wrong, he's not playing the best part (and most challenging part) of the song, and I'd give him a C for the effort.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 02:16:56 PM »
I'm gonna argue that it's really not all that awesome. First off, he doesn't even play the right chords. He's playing a frickin F instead of an E during the pre-solo and it's kind of driving me crazy. Also the signature solo, the coolest part of the entire song, he's not even playing. I'm thinking there's another guitarist that's not pictured in the video. It's really lame that he's trying to make it seem like he's playing that signature riff. If you look at his guitar, he's just strumming chords during that part. Also, whoever is doing the solo part is doing it half ass and wrong... so overall that sucks. His voice is good and he hits all the notes, but he plays with a frickin capo on like the 30th fret. He plays it way too high. It loses it's raw and southern feel and sounds more like a cheesy pop song. Overall, yes, he sings well and he doesn't mess up his playing - but the chords are wrong, he's not playing the best part (and most challenging part) of the song, and I'd give him a C for the effort.

At first I expected to hate it, but it wasn't that bad.  ALTHOUGH... I thought something seemed off.  I was watching it and it looked like the sound didn't match up at times, like there was something or someone else other than his guitar.  It also sounds like he messed up the line: "So do you laugh or does it cry" (Kinda sounds like:"So do you laugh at those who cry")

"Hey there... how's your steak?"

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 02:37:20 PM »

At first I expected to hate it, but it wasn't that bad.  ALTHOUGH... I thought something seemed off.  I was watching it and it looked like the sound didn't match up at times, like there was something or someone else other than his guitar.  It also sounds like he messed up the line: "So do you laugh or does it cry" (Kinda sounds like:"So do you laugh at those who cry")

Yeah he sings "do you laugh at those who cry." I think its a well-done cover, his voice sounds good and I agree the guitar playing is good too but does sound a little "off"
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 03:50:44 PM »
Boring cover and he definitely messed up the lyrics.

But props for the classic Star Wars toys and desktop wallpaper.

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 07:19:16 AM »
Complaining about how the music doesn't sound exactly like the original is ridiculous.  There is no point in doing a cover if you aren't going to make it your own.  Note for note covers are insanely boring.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 08:35:49 AM »
Lol how'd I miss this thread?

I kind of have to cringe when I hear anybody that isn't Scott sing this song. I'm sure somebody could do it justice but I don't think I've heard them do it yet.
Bleeda blooda

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 07:05:22 PM »
Complaining about how the music doesn't sound exactly like the original is ridiculous.  There is no point in doing a cover if you aren't going to make it your own.  Note for note covers are insanely boring.

Agreed.

My favorite cover is still Hootie, despite the fact that he mangles the lyrics, much like the guy in the OP's link.   :)   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NZCu6exrIY
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 07:08:48 PM by STPGurl »
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 09:11:38 PM »
I think his cover of There Was a Time is awesome!   Sings the end of the song very well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QWmwf_0iP0&feature=related

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 09:31:13 PM »

Agreed.

My favorite cover is still Hootie, despite the fact that he mangles the lyrics, much like the guy in the OP's link.   :)   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NZCu6exrIY

Holy sh*t! those guys are the best pulling out ILS !
Loved it!
Seems like you left me when you broke down

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 08:22:47 AM »

Agreed.

So hard for me to admit this isn't completely terrible....so I won't!

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 09:25:21 PM »
So hard for me to admit this isn't completely terrible....so I won't!

Oh, you like it and you know it.  You don't have to admit it.  :)
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 03:09:33 AM »
These children are killin in the streets

Dyin for the color of a rag