October 04, 2024, 06:14:07 PM

Author Topic: STP Song tournament  (Read 6428 times)

Veesk

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: STP Song tournament
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 02:57:49 PM »
Proper job! Well done, that looks great!

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 03:09:57 PM »
This is excellent, well done.   8)

I would say include the unreleased songs but definitely no covers.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 03:12:32 PM »
Great job! Can't wait to start the voting!

Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 03:48:25 PM »
No Way Out better beat Cinnamon or I'm never talking to any of you again :)

robrhre

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Grab the hate and drown it out
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 03:55:05 PM »

I love No Way Out, but I am on a huge Cinnamon kick right now... I think it will get my vote.
MM 3/10/09 STP 10/6/09 EC 6/19/10 SP7/16/10
STP 10/19/10 3EB 5/11/11 B182 8/12/11
Godsmack 8/16/11 Incubus 9/17/11
Foo's 11/8/11 Bush 12/2/11 JA 3/10/12 Bush 8/1/12
3DG 10/27/12 SW 11/29/12 SW 3/11/13 SW 8-20-13 Pepper 9/14/13 CTE 10/25/13 AM! 1/15/14 Weezer 4/1/14

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 03:56:57 PM »

I love No Way Out, but I am on a huge Cinnamon kick right now... I think it will get my vote.

Same here. I was always indifferent toward NWO anyway.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

shapy

• nice to know me
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 04:35:40 PM »
Wow this looks cool!!  Good job!
Just one question, and thats only because I'm an idiot:  How did you choose the seeded songs? 
Anyway, it's cool like this, can't wait!!

seeding the songs was a bit tricky, but not too difficult... I listed STP's uber-hits first that were huge radio hits and at the top of the billboards at some point. The top 4 seemed pretty obvious (Plush, Interstate, Creep, Vasoline) and based on their seniority in the STP catalog, they had the advantage to being top seeded.

I then put every STP song in front of me and made a ranking of which songs were the most standout from each album based on radio play and individual sales from web sites and general popularity. I remained unbiased in this sense as to not list my personal favorites high (if I had my way, Dead & Bloated would have been #1 seeded).

I also wanted to be fair to the newer catalog of STP songs, especially from SLDD and STP, because they haven't been in play as long as their older stuff, doesn't mean we (and/or critics) won't look back one day and think that those songs were superior to some of the older stuff. That's why Between the Lines is seeded high, as it was the top single from its respective album. I had to remind myself often that the songs weren't being seeded based on popularity, of how I thought, but rather they were being seeded based on the top singles per album, followed by the casual fan's perception of the remaining songs.

I also felt compelled to seed the unreleased outtakes at the bottom and All in the Suit because only us die hard fans are aware of them anyway. Wet My Bed, Press Play, and No Memory also seemed to need to be seeded low based on their length and relevance. (I was very close to pairing No Memory with Sin as just 1 song, but decided against it).

To prove my unbiased approach, I purposely seeded MC5 very low based on what I know to be the general consensus of that song among BE members here. It's been documented, by me, in that song's thread, that I LOVE it and if I had my way, it would be seeded much higher than where it is.

Anyway, I'm really happy how this turned out and your guys response to it. Thanks!

I'm going to start on the preliminary round match ups to begin voting by this evening. I'll make 1 new thread per round with each match up listed and a link to each for voting.

Stay tuned!
have fun, have fun, have a whole lot of fun!