September 28, 2024, 03:19:02 AM

Author Topic: Where do you rank No. 4 against the rest of the catalog?  (Read 17201 times)

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you rank No. 4 against the rest of the catalog?
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2011, 02:02:19 AM »
The only reason I can rank STP records is because I did not buy them when they were released but years years later. So I can't rank ST.
Having said that

1) SLDD (duh)
2) Purple
3) Tiny / No 4
4) No 4 / Tiny
5) Core

I could never make my mind about those two. I suppose is up to my mood :P
LOVE 4! it's just behind SLDD and Purple, it's not that bad: Atlanta... I got you... Down... Glide... Sour Girl... Sex & Violence... No way out... H&H all of them killer tracks!
Plus: you say No 4 and I see Scott like one of the twelve Olympians ;D
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2011, 02:42:52 AM »
I'd be totally against them remastering anything (other than an older live show).

It'd bad enough they don't release much in terms of extras (live tracks, DVDs, B-sides, covers, etc...), but for them to spend one minute remastering an older album would be a complete waste.  Based on their sporadic history of releasing things and rumors, their time would be much better utilized on something that hasn't already been released. 
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Robert DeNiro

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2011, 04:54:17 AM »
I would totally be against them remastering the album, if anything needs to be remastered it would be self titled

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2011, 02:25:22 PM »
god, No Way Out has gotta be the most overrated stp song ever!

This is not me being a smartass, but being serious as possible. Did you mean to type underrated in place of overrated? That song is so badass!

Okay, maybe it's no the most overrated ever from stp, but from that specific album. I base it on its popularity here on the forum aswell as the band releasing it as a video (and promo single?) Again, this stp testing new waters (nu-metal) and while they often succeeded (in "testing new waters") this time they did not. I just don't feel the riff feels home for stp (sounds almost identical to Break Stuff by Limp Bizkit anyway) I feel Scott sings it "sloppy" in the verses and is sort of "disconnected" like this; "I'm going under, I'm suffocating..." guy sings it with a tone, that would fit "I'm having a cup of tea, I'm having a sandwich" better :) . Atleast he has some energy in the chorus. Still, it's not a bad song!! just not that great. People, again in my opinion, seem to force themselves,  to find "the great rockers" on No.4 and always mention "No Way Out" as one of them. I mean it has no "staying power" compared to stuff like Sex Type, Dead & Bloated or Piece of Pie or...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 02:28:39 PM by Comatose Commodity »
I had the midwife naked and alone

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2011, 02:36:43 PM »

This is not me being a smartass, but being serious as possible. Did you mean to type underrated in place of overrated? That song is so badass!

Okay, maybe it's no the most overrated ever from stp, but from that specific album. I base it on its popularity here on the forum aswell as the band releasing it as a video (and promo single?) Again, this stp testing new waters (nu-metal) and while they often succeeded (in "testing new waters") this time they did not. I just don't feel the riff feels home for stp (sounds almost identical to Break Stuff by Limp Bizkit anyway) I feel Scott sings it "sloppy" in the verses and is sort of "disconnected" like this; "I'm going under, I'm suffocating..." guy sings it with a tone, that would fit "I'm having a cup of tea, I'm having a sandwich" better :) . Atleast he has some energy in the chorus. Still, it's not a bad song!! just not that great. People, again in my opinion, seem to force themselves,  to find "the great rockers" on No.4 and always mention "No Way Out" as one of them. I mean it has no "staying power" compared to stuff like Sex Type, Dead & Bloated or Piece of Pie or...

It's my favorite rocker off No. 4 and I don't "force myself" into enjoying it. If you wanna talk about overrated rockers off the album, let's talk about "Down". It's not a bad song, but I don't think it's as good as everybody makes it out to be. And for the record, the distinctive intro of "No Way Out" has plenty of staying power.

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2011, 03:14:55 PM »

It's my favorite rocker off No. 4 and I don't "force myself" into enjoying it. If you wanna talk about overrated rockers off the album, let's talk about "Down". It's not a bad song, but I don't think it's as good as everybody makes it out to be. And for the record, the distinctive intro of "No Way Out" has plenty of staying power.

i agree....Even though I like Down its probaly my least favorite stp rocker in general... Its too repetitive imo... NWO is alot better and has plenty of "staying power"
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2011, 03:47:51 PM »

i agree....Even though I like Down its probaly my least favorite stp rocker in general... Its too repetitive imo... NWO is alot better and has plenty of "staying power"
Interesting that you say that...I would say No Way Out is way more repetitive than Down. When I first got No. 4 when I was 15 or 16 (about six years after it came out), I loved No Way Out but I rarely listen to it anymore. It's a solid track, but definitely not among STP's best for me.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2011, 04:41:14 PM »

FWIW, I've never thought too highly of "Down" either. The album really lacked good rockers for me.
I had the midwife naked and alone

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2011, 05:06:27 PM »
No Way Out is just ok, H&H is my fav rocker of the album, followed by Pruno.   Down is one of those songs that doesnt sound great via the album, but live it just blows the roof off
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2011, 05:43:54 PM »

Interesting that you say that...I would say No Way Out is way more repetitive than Down. When I first got No. 4 when I was 15 or 16 (about six years after it came out), I loved No Way Out but I rarely listen to it anymore. It's a solid track, but definitely not among STP's best for me.

Down is definitley more repetitive than NWO... Not saying that NWO isnt repetitive, but at least NWO has a different verse where as in Down the first verse is repeated three times in the song
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2011, 05:53:29 PM »
Down still gives me chills. Repetitive? In terms of lyrics, I suppose. To me, the music itself (The heavy drumming by eric, the riffs, and a killer solo by Dean) more then makes up for it. It was a great choice for a lead single. It was a great statement track in terms of STP saying, 'Hey, we are ST-Motherfucking P, and we can still kick you ass.' (Referring to the long lay-off and the resurgence of Nu-metal) And most importantly, it's a great live track.

Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2011, 06:15:07 PM »
Down still gives me chills. Repetitive? In terms of lyrics, I suppose. To me, the music itself (The heavy drumming by eric, the riffs, and a killer solo by Dean) more then makes up for it. It was a great choice for a lead single. It was a great statement track in terms of STP saying, 'Hey, we are ST-Motherfucking P, and we can still kick you ass.' (Referring to the long lay-off and the resurgence of Nu-metal) And most importantly, it's a great live track.

I totally agree that "Down" is a good song; I love every STP song. I just think in terms of "most overrated" on No. 4, "Down" takes the cake. I don't think that "No Way Out" is as overrated as people think. It's only been played live like three times.

But while we're on the topic of No. 4, my favorite track from this one is "I Got You". I just love the country vibe that Weiland has in his voice and the chorus is really well written.

However, when compared to the other albums (specifically the first three), No. 4 was the first album that wasn't as cohesive as the others. Some songs sound like they'd fit in on Core and others on Tiny Music. Regardless, I think it's a great album that still manages to set a vibe despite being less cohesive than usual.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 06:18:40 PM by STP92 »

emerick55

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2011, 06:25:23 PM »

I totally agree that "Down" is a good song; I love every STP song. I just think in terms of "most overrated" on No. 4, "Down" takes the cake. I don't think that "No Way Out" is as overrated as people think. It's only been played live like three times.

But while we're on the topic of No. 4, my favorite track from this one is "I Got You". I just love the country vibe that Weiland has in his voice and the chorus is really well written.

However, when compared to the other albums (specifically the first three), No. 4 was the first album that wasn't as cohesive as the others. Some songs sound like they'd fit in on Core and others on Tiny Music. Regardless, I think it's a great album that still manages to set a vibe despite being less cohesive than usual.

This x1,000,000.  And I got you is one of their best tracks on any record in my opinion - just amazing songwriting and delivery - There is nothing like it.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2011, 08:21:46 PM »

I agree with you 100% on this

And STP92, I agree with you as well about I Got You...it's one of STP's more unique songs. I think No. 4's greatest strength is that I think it showcases STP's diversity as a band more than any of their albums
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 08:23:23 PM by wickedgarden23 »
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

PoohSTP

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2011, 01:49:30 AM »
I would rank no 4 at the top.
Maybe not my top.
I have a crazy love for Core.
Alot of my fav songs come off of No4.
No Way Out & Down being 2 of those 8)
Pleased to meet you! Nice to know me!