September 28, 2024, 05:20:55 AM

Author Topic: Where do you rank No. 4 against the rest of the catalog?  (Read 17212 times)

Robert DeNiro

Where do you rank No. 4 against the rest of the catalog?
« on: April 08, 2011, 04:13:14 AM »
No. 4 was love at first listen for me and is my absolute favorite album of all time. In 99', before its release i couldn't wait to get my hands on their new album. I will admit i was a little worried about the direction of STP at the time, being that their last album was Tiny Music ( which at the time I despised, but has since grown on me ) This album is the perfect STP album. It has your hard heavy rockers ( H&HR, NWO, Down ) along with some of their best ballads ( I Got You, Atlanta, Sour Girl ) . I also believe that at least half of the material on this album is extremely underrated.

Where do you rank No. 4 amongst the rest of the catalog? I rank it at #1

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you rank No. 4 against the rest of the catalog?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 09:35:33 AM »
I don't have kids, but if I did I probably couldn't rank them.  (Unless one was just really bad ass, and the other three were some sort of bubble boy vegan types.  THEN I'd start ranking.)

But honestly, as much as I love all their work, I'd really like to see them do another album like No4 or Tiny Music.  Musically it's impossible to choose, but I really liked their style during the No4 days.  Things got a little darker, but I kinda feel like they had perfected their style in the No4 era. 
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 01:45:18 PM »
"Sorry" I rank no.4 at no.5!

It is a good album (it's STP d-uh) but to me, it doesn't really have a vibe. I've said it many times, it feels more like a "collection of songs" type of record. I just prefer an album like Purple, where there's sort of the same feel, "state of mind" and vibe throughout (without being repetitive). Of course, obviously, it's about the songs at the end of the day, and I just don't think that many songs on No.4 are pure gold. I love the softer tunes, with "Atlanta" being nothing short of a masterpiece. "Sour Girl" is probably the best pop song they've ever written and "I Got You" isn't half bad either.
But then, when we move onto the rockers, while most of them real solid, there really ain't a single song that makes me go "whoa!".
"Glide" is really good, dreamy song, but yet I don't even listen to it too often for some reason. "Heaven & Hotrods" is really cool. "Down" never did it for me, I especially don't like chorus nor the guitar solo. Still, it's decent. "No Way Out" sounded too nu-metal, but atleast Scott could've tried to write some less generic lyrics.
I had the midwife naked and alone

trippinjim

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 02:26:40 PM »
Love it.  Kicks arse.  Second only to Purple.

Everyone will come on and rank it lower and talk crap about how it's unfinished or the sound isn't right or it should have been polished or mastered better.  8)   :P

Never phased me? :-\

Of all of Scott's drug period, he looks best then too.  TM he was smacked up, SLDD he was grimy and hairy and doped up but No4 in the middle had him at his best -perhaps a bit of incarceration and clean time helped??

Aylin

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Whadayawannano?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 02:41:51 PM »
Of all of Scott's drug period, he looks best then too.  TM he was smacked up, SLDD he was grimy and hairy and doped up but No4 in the middle had him at his best -perhaps a bit of incarceration and clean time helped??
I agree, no4 period was the best for Scott in terms of energy and appearance.

I love no4, because I LOVE Down and Atlanta, and I love the vibe of that album.

But I also love Tiny Music and Core and Purple.  And even Shangri.  So I can't rank them, but I can say that No4 is a solid album.
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 02:44:18 PM »
I rank No. 4 at No. 2.... Only behind Tiny

I love this album ... Its probaly the stp album im listening to most as of lately
Glide, No Way Out, I Got You, Sex and Violence are my favorites for the album... But hell the whole album is stacked
Glide is quite possibly Weilands best vocal performance for a STP song... And its one of their best tracks theyve ever written
No Way Out is my favorite rocker from STP
Heaven and Hotrods is a song I ALWAYS wanted to hear live and was so happy when they played it a few months ago
I Got You and Sour Girl really do it for me and Atlanta is nothing short of a masterpiece of a song
Some people refer to MC5 as one of their weakest songs... But shit not every song has to be a masterpiece... its solid rocker with an old school vibe and I think its rocks pretty well
I always imagined Pruno would be great live ... Im not sure if theyve ever played it live before but can just imagine Weiland getting super enenergetic during the chrous and be jumping and spinning all over the place
Im jamming to Sex and Violence right now.... Always sounds great cranked all the way up

All in all No. 4 might very well be Weilands best vocal performance on a STP album... I love the way he changes his voice multiple times in a single song like in H&HR, Down, and MC5
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 02:45:55 PM by stpunderground »
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 03:44:25 PM »
I rank No.4 towards the bottom of their albums. It flip-flops with s/t as my least favorite STP record. I still think it's a solid rock record, but it seems like it lacks direction to me. (If that makes sense) When I think of their first three albums, each album had it's own distinct vibe. This album dabbled in each of the previous albums, and because of that, it seems like it lacks an identity. And on a personal note, the album contains two of my least favorite STP tracks of all-time. (Pruno and MC5)

I don't want to come off as a No.4 basher because it has some great tracks. (Down, H&H, Glide, I Got You and Atlanta) However when compared to the rest of their material, it ranks toward the bottom for me.

Also, I think what also peeved me alittle is that You Can't Drive Me Away didn't make the cut.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Silver guns and Candybars

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 04:24:50 PM »
Shangris 's number one for me, but it just barely edges out No. 4 as my favorite.
Its for the diehard fan, so no its not as viably commercial as purple, not as experimental as tiny, and not a time-piece like core.
Along with Shangri, I think No.4 is the band in its truest form
Ive changed my favorite album on my profile plenty of times back and forth from Shangri to No.4 and vice versa.
The only thing keeping Shangri as my favorite is the ever so lovely track called Regeneration :)

Silver guns and Candybars

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 04:34:47 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks they got better and better with every album from 92-01?

ntslash

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 04:36:41 PM »
My ranking goes:

SLDD > Purple > Tiny Music > Core > No. 4 > STP

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 04:49:24 PM »
I've stated on this site before that I can never decide which album to rank last...it's always been a toss-up between No. 4 and Shangri-La Dee Da for me. Of course, this doesnt mean I dislike anything about No. 4, this is STP we're talking about here! It's a great album, the first 3 tracks especially are as good as any hard rockers STP (or any band for that matter) has ever done to introduce an album. I like every song on No. 4, but just not as crazy about fan favorites like Atlanta and Glide as other fans seem to be.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

HeavenandHotrods87

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 06:15:20 PM »
Hmm..I would have to say it's second to last for me...ST being on the bottom of the list. I absolutely love H&H, (Duh!) Sour Girl, I Got You and Glide. In my opinion Atlanta is the biggest gem on the record and a great closing track, definitely one of Scott's most powerful vocal performances in my opinion. My STP album ranking: 1.) Purple 2.) Tiny 3.) Core 4.) SLDD 5.) No4 6.) STP

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 06:51:25 PM »
No.4
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 08:48:20 PM »
I've stated on this site before that I can never decide which album to rank last...it's always been a toss-up between No. 4 and Shangri-La Dee Da for me. Of course, this doesnt mean I dislike anything about No. 4, this is STP we're talking about here! It's a great album, the first 3 tracks especially are as good as any hard rockers STP (or any band for that matter) has ever done to introduce an album. I like every song on No. 4, but just not as crazy about fan favorites like Atlanta and Glide as other fans seem to be.

Are they really fan favourites? I would never have guessed, I think they are the 2 least interesting songs on the album too, although still good tracks. Funnily, people seem not to like I Got You, I have seen it called filler many times, but I thought it was really touching and melodic and a better ballad than Atlanta.

Anyway, I rank No.4 3rd, after Tiny Music and Purple. The hard rockers are amazing on No.4, the guitars are crunching and everything has this trippy shimmer about it. O'Brien really is an amazing producer.

I rank the new album last, but I still think it is great.

DumbLove

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 09:02:18 PM »
I'm a fan of the album just like everyone else, but I would also have to say it's probably ranked last for me.  Not to say it's terrible or anything along those line - I like a lot of the songs, but I don't really love any of them, which I think is exactly the problem (at least for me).  Every other album had multiple songs I instantly fell in love with.  This album had none (H&H is probably my favorite, and I didn't think Down was that great until I heard it live).  Some others eventually grew on me, but I also listen to this album the least.