September 27, 2024, 11:23:36 PM

Author Topic: Where do you rank No. 4 against the rest of the catalog?  (Read 17177 times)

FirstSexTypeThingOnMars

Re: Where do you rank No. 4 against the rest of the catalog?
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2011, 03:10:59 PM »
I have been very much into this album the last week or so and my god! This album has to be their deepest when it comes to depth, the range shown here on this entire album is incredible. I don't think any of their other albums show off their talents better than this one. No. 4 is No. 1!!!

stpfanjosh

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
No 4 is my second favourite, after Tiny music. I love this album!!!! My favourite song from it is No way out.

Adhesive12

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2011, 10:22:01 PM »
I think this album ranks either last or second to last, along with Core.  It's the least original album, and it contains "No Way Out" which, with the "Give it away now MF now give it away" part contains the most embarassing moment on a STP record.  Also, "Atlanta" is an obvious Doors copy song.  I feel strongly that it was an attempt to appeal to the rap-rock generation and was trying too hard to be like Core more or less.  It has some good moments tho - "Glide" is an amazing song, and several others I like a lot, but I really have to be in the right mood for this one.  My order from best to worst would probably be Tiny Music, SLDD, Purple, STP, No. 4, Core.  Core is probably a better record, but I'm SOOOO burned out on it that I'm not so sure these days.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 10:29:43 PM by Adhesive12 »
Jerry Jeff riding high on the radio / I wanna know why you had to go...

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2011, 12:46:30 AM »
No. 4 is my least favorite. It just doesn't have the depth that the others have. With that said, the least awesome STP album is still better than most bands' best albums.

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2011, 06:52:23 AM »
No.4 is just pure rawness and I love it.  It has an overall different sound than any other album.  However, it fails to have anything EPIC in the sense of the band's catalogue (there are some gems and diamonds in the rough, but if you hold it up next to the track listing of Purple or Core, it's obvious which is the meal ticket. 

I'd argue the comment of it not being deep (as far as sound goes), lyrics though were more abstract and abrupt.  I'd also argue against it being manufactured to appeal.  I just think it has such an off-the-path sound to it because of the circumstances and mindframe it was created in (from all parties involved).

I actually think that the vocals on this album are the most true to Scott's 'real' voice.  I've wondered many times since their reunion, why they don't play more songs off No.4 in concerts.  I think with his current vocal trends (IMO many similarities between No. 4, SLDD, Libertad, Happy in Galoshes, STP) he might do No.4 the most justice (gotta be better than Hickory Dichotomy live and that's a new freakin song - don't get me wrong on album is fantastic, but live just doesn't work for me).

I would LOVE to rank No. 4 higher for myself but alas it pops in around (ironically) #4 behind SLDD, Purple, Tiny Music (Self Titled is very close but it hasn't marinated enough for me to fairly rank it higher).  And then there's Core.  WHich I completely agree with Adhesive12 in that it deserves better recognition from me, but I'm too burnt out on it these days.

However, as a change of pace album No.4 one of the first CDs I'll look to.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

Humble Kidney Pie

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Hold on to something still.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2011, 06:26:39 PM »
The whole band is so focused on this album.  You can really tell they thought they had something to prove on this album.
Picked a song, sang a yellow nectarine.

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2011, 07:09:01 PM »
Also, "Atlanta" is an obvious Doors copy song.

That's why this song has such effect on me
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2011, 08:02:53 PM »
Cant rank albums .. so I wont this.

Was never crazy about the sound of it, the production or whatever.  But as with all STP albums its got soem really great tunes.  H&H, Glide, I got You, Atlanta, Pruno being my fave
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2011, 01:57:56 AM »
The whole band is so focused on this album.  You can really tell they thought they had something to prove on this album.

I agree

IMO No. 4 is Weiland's best vocal performance on record ever 
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2011, 04:10:34 PM »
Focused?   Really?

Heard stories that Weiland wouldnt show up some days, and at times him and Dean would be getting high instead of being at the studio .. not sure if thses stories are true
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Mister Saint Laurent

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • M.SL
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2011, 04:26:43 AM »
i rank it #4 i guess. i would definitely have the first three albums as the top three, not sure in what order though. then #4, self-titled and lastly, shangri-la.

Robert DeNiro

« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2011, 11:31:31 PM »
I must say I am disappointed by the general opinions here of people that No. 4 is considered one of their weaker albums. I always considered No. 4 to be the album for die hard Stone Temple Pilot's fans. It features all of STP's strengths better than any other album they have ever put it, their muscular rockers along with their melodic acoustic songs with gracious melodies. I always thought of 1999 as being STP's best year ever

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2011, 11:57:30 PM »
I always thought of 1999 as being STP's best year ever

1999 had three gigs and Weiland in jail, haha. I do think that the No. 4 era contained the best live performances by the band. Weiland's vocals were stellar and the instrumentals, as always, were outstanding.

MyFavoriteCagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'll breathe your life, Vick's Vapor life
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2011, 01:59:58 PM »
I just want to clear it out that Core, Purple, and Tiny Music are tied at number one for me. I can't put on those records at any time of day and listen to them all the way through and be completely soothed and chilled out and ready to take on anything. They're pieces of art, entirely cohesive and strung together, just one big piece of art. Second, I'd rank SLDD and third I'd rank S/T.

Which brings us to No.4.

No.4, while singular tracks are good listeners, is not an entire cohesive work of art. It's a collection of good listeners. And a few less than good listeners:/ And I remember reading somewhere that Scott had said that Dean had just called him on the phone and asked him to come work on a few song ideas that him and Rob had. And that it was just kind of a recreational "Let's make a rock album" activity.

Down is okay, first time I heard it (very embarassing) was when my brother was playing it on his Guitar Hero DS game. So maybe I didn't get a very good first impression of it, regardless, after watching multiple live vids of it, it still only rings out as ok.

Heaven and Hot Rods is a pretty solid track, especially after seeing it live in 2010. I just wish less crappy bands would cover it lolololol.

Pruno just seems a little too generic, but still a good track, just wasn't a good grabber.

Love Church on Tuesday, I can really and personally insert myself into it, which probably led to my attraction to it.

Sour Girl is such a powerful live song, back in 99 and now when they play it and he does that little Bowie shpeel. Someone actually played it at the jukebox at work the other day. Unfortunately they rejected my marriage proposal.

I'm sorry, but I agree that No Way Out was the most embarassing moment in history with that "Give it away now MF like"

Sex and Violence makes me feel like I'm mowing grass. Not very powerful and grabbing musically.

Glide is very very nice, however I will say I like the David Koutts vocal progression better, back when the song was just "Saturday" by Talk Show.

I Got You is in my top 5 STP songs; it infuriates me the lack of live tracks for this number. The slide guitar just grabs me with Dean's fingers.

Mc5 is just. Ugh. Infuriates me. It's like the Unglued of No.4. Just some random punk track that they thought would be a good idea to put on the album. Like a slap in the face saying "Lol you're actually buying this crap?"

Atlanta is beautiful and also a very powerful live track. Love the string quartet's arrangement.

Now let's let the Keaton-bashing begin:D
You'll never lose it cuz you never had it

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2011, 06:24:57 PM »
I love every track off of No. 4 and think it's one of their best albums

The main complaint seems to be about the album's production which just happens to be my favorite thing about the album besides Weiland's fantastic vocal work

I can see how alot of the casual STP fans would  pass on it though

Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides