September 27, 2024, 11:20:17 PM

Author Topic: Where do you rank No. 4 against the rest of the catalog?  (Read 17176 times)

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you rank No. 4 against the rest of the catalog?
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2011, 02:19:39 AM »
I would probably rank it as #3 underneath Purple and Core.  I even think it could be tied with Core, as Core is more generic where #4 seems more experimental.

I was one of those guys that never got the appeal of Atlanta though...I know...I'm a moron ;D

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2011, 04:25:20 AM »
Down still gives me chills. Repetitive? In terms of lyrics, I suppose. To me, the music itself (The heavy drumming by eric, the riffs, and a killer solo by Dean) more then makes up for it. It was a great choice for a lead single. It was a great statement track in terms of STP saying, 'Hey, we are ST-Motherfucking P, and we can still kick you ass.' (Referring to the long lay-off and the resurgence of Nu-metal) And most importantly, it's a great live track.

Down should open an STP show someday...
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2011, 11:35:14 PM »

they should  definitley do that someday...imagine... instead of expecting the usual between vasoline or crackerman you suddenly hear the opening chords to Down to kick off the show... would be a nice little suprise!
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2011, 07:42:47 PM »

they should  definitley do that someday...imagine... instead of expecting the usual between vasoline or crackerman you suddenly hear the opening chords to Down to kick off the show... would be a nice little suprise!

I've imaged that so many times that I think I already know how the lighting should be like ;D
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Aylin

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Whadayawannano?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2011, 11:39:33 PM »
Down still gives me chills. Repetitive? In terms of lyrics, I suppose. To me, the music itself (The heavy drumming by eric, the riffs, and a killer solo by Dean) more then makes up for it. It was a great choice for a lead single. It was a great statement track in terms of STP saying, 'Hey, we are ST-Motherfucking P, and we can still kick you ass.' (Referring to the long lay-off and the resurgence of Nu-metal) And most importantly, it's a great live track.

I agree with you 100% on this
I agree too.  I can never ever resist going a bit crazy at "will you show me...BAM", regardless of whether I'm in the car, walking down the street or at my desk at work...
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade

Robert DeNiro

« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2011, 12:12:24 AM »
Thank you all for the well thought out responses on my all time favorite album. I enjoyed reading everyones opinion :-)

It seems to me that the general consensus is No. 4 is the middle child of STP's catalog, meaning on average its ranked #3 or #4 out of the six albums. I do feel its more-so for the diehard STP fan.

I love this album and it shall forever be my favorite album. Im going to give it a listen right now

Niktus

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2011, 12:55:28 AM »
Nobody seems to talk about Church on Tuesday... what do you think about that song?
I think it´s one of the best of N°4. Robert´s bass line it´s just amazing.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2011, 02:59:17 PM »

I agree too.  I can never ever resist going a bit crazy at "will you show me...BAM", regardless of whether I'm in the car, walking down the street or at my desk at work...

I have said this a number of times before, but I think it would be VERY BAD ASS if they opened with No Memory going RIGHT into Down! Bad ass people I'm telling ya!
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2011, 04:06:08 PM »
I really like Church on Tuesday. not initially but I thinks it a great little pop tune
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

ntslash

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2011, 04:37:13 PM »

I have said this a number of times before, but I think it would be VERY BAD ASS if they opened with No Memory going RIGHT into Down! Bad ass people I'm telling ya!

I can't imagine that No Memory into Down would be better than Army Ants intro into Down.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2011, 04:38:47 PM »

I can't imagine that No Memory into Down would be better than Army Ants intro into Down.

You should imagine because it is better :)
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2011, 05:13:52 PM »
Nobody seems to talk about Church on Tuesday... what do you think about that song?
I think it´s one of the best of N°4. Robert´s bass line it´s just amazing.
I think Church On Tuesday is great. The main riff has always reminded me a little bit of the main riff in Interstate
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2011, 05:37:53 AM »

how about Press Play into Down? ... the sudden change in atmosphere and the shock alone would be priceless
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

Niktus

« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »

how about Press Play into Down? ... the sudden change in atmosphere and the shock alone would be priceless

Pricelees! but I think I would rather prefer Press Play into Dumb Love :) that song needs to be heared live

TheOnlyRuss

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2011, 08:48:49 PM »
No. 4 is behind Tiny and Purple for me.  I really dug the raw rock sound of a lot of the songs (Down, H&H, Pruno, NWO, and Sex and Violence.)  Then to have good poppy songs like Sour Girl, Church on Tuesday and Glide was awesome.  A couple songs I never really got into with MC5 and I Got You dragged this album to number 3.  But it does have the best closing song of any album with Atlanta.