October 03, 2024, 10:33:27 PM

Author Topic: 2011-05-05 - Upper Darby, PA @ Tower Theatre  (Read 14609 times)

OnlyDying

• Co-Pilot
  • "Purple Flowers Ease The Pain..."
    • View Profile
Re: 2011-05-05 - Upper Darby, PA @ Tower Theatre
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2011, 11:12:41 PM »
I was at that show and saw you I was like, "What a lucky bastard.." Haa yeh man Thursday night will be epic!!

Yes, I've been to the Tower a ton of times.  These are actual seats.   There is NO general admission area up front.  Even though these chairs are like makeshift folding chairs they put right in front of the stage, they don't remove them to create some type of "Pitt" like they do in Ampitheaters such as Camden.

I can't beleive they are at the Tower and not at the Electric Factory.   This is going to be an AMAZING show!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was so ANGRY when I randomly refreshed the page and it came up that they were on sale.   Once I entered the queue it said I would be waiting 15 minutes and said to heck with it.      Well, thankfully I just left the screen load in the background.   And boom, up pops section BBB dead center on the aisel!   

I'm in heaven!  Hopefully I'll get pulled up on stage like I did at Camden last May to sing Dead and Bloated again : )    (For those of you that may remember!)

Brad
"Adhesive Love"

Curtis1158

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2011, 03:27:31 PM »
I still have a single ticket that I am trying to unload for Thursday show. Right Orch row AA. 1/2 price. Shoot me a PM. Steve

shapy

• nice to know me
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2011, 01:08:04 AM »
so anybody wanna catch up at all at this show? say "hey" have a drink or whatever?

either way, is anyone that lives in the area going to this show? i'm just curious what kind of town it is...
have fun, have fun, have a whole lot of fun!

shapy

• nice to know me
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2011, 09:17:32 PM »
on my way...
in case any of you who are going want to say HI I'll be in the pit, 4th row, white STP WANTS YOU tshirt, black hat, awesome looking dude...

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2011, 09:20:49 PM »
Have fun!!  Tell Scott I said hi lol
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

DrGONZOakaRaoulDuke

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2011, 09:19:04 AM »
Just got home from the show.... AMAZING!  Same set list with D&B... ill post more later, but for now here are some vids i took... the quality is good, just give it 10 seconds.

DOWN:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPgbiaVq3Ss

Heaven & Hotrods (part):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtB_VN0Dmls

Interstate Love Song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBUtK4rzm7o

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2011, 05:08:05 PM »
Thanks for the videos, Dr. G.  I just noticed the pic in your signature and can't stop laughing.  I'd be making the same face if Weiland was standing in front of me in nylons and undies.

No, I lied.  I wouldn't even be standing there.  I'd have gotten kicked out for hurling myself at him.   ;)
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

shapy

• nice to know me
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2011, 11:13:15 PM »
An amazing show -- again!
It was great to have met you Dr. Gonzo! You were a row ahead of me and it looked like you enjoyed yourself as much as me!

Also, it was very nice to have met you Laura and sit with you for the show and share the STP experience with someone else who enjoys them as much as me too! I hope I didn't annoy you with my dancing at all, haha. Did you get back to FL yet? I definitely decided to buy tickets for the Atlantic City show in August. Still up in the air about the Bethlehem, PA show. But I hope you can make it back for one of them and we can hang out again at the show!

Like Laura and I were discussing last night, Scott seemed a bit out of it when he came on for the first few tunes. Not that he messed anything up, he just LOOKED out of it a bit. They got better it seemed as the show progressed. I didn't notice any flubs.

I do like the version of Heaven & Hotrods they're doing right now. Very cool.

Sex Type Thing, Down, Dead & Bloated stand out the best to me. I was really worried they were gonna cut D&B from the encore as they were already past 11pm. Thank god they played it. I've successfully seen them play it now at every show I've been to. Which, as of last night, is now 18 times!

Already looking forward to seeing them again in August.

I took some pictures and video, but they didn't turn out real great. My camera is from 2006 (very old!) haha...

But, here is Sex Type Thing in its entirety. The audio is weak but bearable. It is shaky because I was real close and lots of movement in the crowd, but when the strobe lights go off, I think it looks like an acid trip nightmare -- pretty kickass! haha, try and make it through, I think the ending looks cool.

Also, at one point, when Robert gets real close and kneels down, notice that he tries to slap a fans hand. The bullshit security guard was doing everything in his power to hold the fan back DESPITE Robert waving for the fan to come forward and trying to reach out to slap hands. The fan was not successful. Bullshit security guy. I would've been pissed.

Anyway, great show! And, like I told you Laura, it was the most sober I've been for an STP show (only 2 beers before they came on) and I still love them in concert just as much. So that proves it's not the alcohol/weed that makes a good STP show. hahaha....

http://youtu.be/S5yG31G87oE

EDIT:
just a few side notes-
the Tower Theatre is a kickass venue to see a concert. First time there and I'd definitely go back again. The drive from Baltimore (about 95 miles) wasn't bad. The neighborhood has a bad reputation but when you're with thousands of people going to there for same thing, it feels perfectly safe.

the opening band, Rose Hill Drive is also kickass. 2nd time seeing them and I really liked them alot. Gonna check them out some more.

STP was late on stage which made a few of us a bit nervous and upset. I think by now, they are just fashionably late. Those moments of anticipation before they come out are really incredible. When they did come out, Dean was walking with his arm around Scott and talking to him about something. Scott said something back to Dean which made him laugh and then he put his guitar on and they broke into Crackerman.

the crowd was great for the whole show. Really into it and singing most of it.

At one point, there was a small band discussion by Eric where they were talking about something. Dean walked away and looked pissed and was shaking his head. Then Robert gave him a signal like, "ok, let's do what you wanted to do" and they did a jam before Still Remains. That was the ONLY negative thing I saw all night.

Like I said, great show!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 11:33:14 PM by shapy »

laura

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Too Cool Queenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2011, 11:32:52 PM »
  First things first—setlist.  Is there really anyone left here who does not have the current setlist committed to memory by now?  Because again, surprise surprise, it was the exact same setlist they’ve been playing for about a year.  The truth is, I love every single one of those songs, and each time I get to hear them played live is a gift.  So, for me, the setlist was not the problem with this show.

The problem with this show was Mr. Weiland, who was clearly impaired.  It made me sad.

The band was late getting on.  From my seat, I could see Dean and Robert standing at the side of the stage.  Which could only mean one thing.  Yup—Kretz strikes again.

But seriously, it was sometime after 9:30, and the crowd was getting a bit restless, when Eric and Robert finally strode across the stage smiling and waving.  A few seconds later, we were treated to the sight of Dean guiding Scott out to center stage, with his arm around his shoulder as if to steady him, while speaking directly into his ear.  I can only imagine what Dean was saying:  “You can do this!”  Perhaps Dean’s language was less subtle:  “Get your wasted ass out there before I fucking kill you.”

It was bad.  Scott was wobbly, and when he spoke, he slurred.  But somehow, his singing was fine.  He is definitely no Elvis!  His dancing was OK, too, although it lacked the energy I felt at other recent shows.  Overall, he was very detached and into himself.  He didn’t interact with the crowd much, although he did shake hands several times with people in the front row.

I know people have been bashing Scott lately about his “little belly.”  I saw no evidence of that at this show.  He was noticeably thinner.  His trademark skinny jeans, which normally hug both his thighs AND his calves (yum), were a little loose on him.  He wore a gray jacket, a white unbuttoned and untucked shirt, a black and red T-shirt, some kind of tie/scarf thing around his neck, and a cross.  Oddly enough, he also appeared to be sporting a wedding band.  Wonder what’s up with that?

OK, the music:  Crackerman sounded terrible, but this wasn’t Scott’s or the band’s fault.  The sound was just TOO FREAKING LOUD.  I could barely hear Scott’s vocals.  A few songs in, the problems were resolved, and everything sounded fine, although my ears were still fried from the opening act, Rose Hill Drive.  Sorry if there are any fans here, but they were positively awful.  I regret sitting through that, but my friends, one of whom is in a band himself, wanted to see them.  We sat in the back (not surprisingly, the place was empty at that point), and when I just couldn’t take any more, I told my friends I was going to hit the restroom and quickly made my escape, never to return.

When things got quiet, I headed down to my real seat in the fourth row, directly in front of Dean, and right next to shapy!  It was awesome to be able to share this experience with another true, enthusiastic fan (even though we were both kind of on edge watching Scott all night, but somehow, amazingly, Scott pulled through).  I also met DrGONZOakaRaoulDuke, who was sitting in front of us (BTW Dan, how did you manage to score those fantastic seats?)

During the first half of the show, Scott slurred and rambled a bit between songs.  His first utterance was completely unintelligible, but that was due more to the problems with the sound system than Scott’s incoherence.  Because Scott is not normally a talker, and he was somewhat vocal at this show, I’ll share some snippets I remember:

Before Heaven & Hot Rods:  “Do you know…that black album…with the white star on it?  Well this song…is from that album.”

Before Between the Lines:  “This song…was our first single…from our new album…and our first video…although videos don’t mean much…in rock ‘n roll any more…but they mean something to us…because they’re a whole ‘nother…art form.”

Before Hickory Dichotomy:  “The first time I heard this song…it reminded me of the Deep South…Mississippi…Louisiana…it has that whole…kind of…southern vibe, you know?”

Before Dancing Days:  “Does anyone have a CD called Encomium?  Because those who do…will know this song…and those who don’t…should know this song anyway.”

Robert told a story about how he and Dean grew up in nearby New Jersey and saw a lot of concerts at the Tower with their friends.  One of those friends was in the audience, and Robert gave him a shout out—Pete Somebody?—and they shined a spotlight on him.  Well, as cool as that was, I gotta say—even though Pete clearly had an “in” with the band, I had a WAY better seat!  Anyway, Robert went on to say how amazing it felt to be the one up there onstage that night.  That man is a class act.  While this was going on, Scott stood a little to the side, looking on with a big smile on his face.  It was a really nice moment.

This happened at about the halfway point.  As the night wore on, Scott seemed to sober up, and his performance strengthened.  I guess that was his natural adrenaline kicking in and taking over.  Thank God.

At this show, he was not red-faced, but his cheeks seem to have hollowed out a little.  At times, when I looked at him in profile, I felt like I was seeing the “old Scott,” but minus, of course, those wild eyes.

Another of my favorite moments was when Still Remains ended.  Scott opened his eyes and I could see the raw passion in his face.  That is what made me love him in the first place, and still makes me love him today.  Please, Scott.  Take care of yourself.

For me, the highlight of the show was provided by Robert, who not only once, but twice, came over and crouched down on the stage directly in front of us, playing that bass like a madman only an arm’s length away.  He made eye contact and was clearly having a great time.  Loved, loved, loved it!

Due to the late hour, we thought D&B would be scrapped, so we were beside ourselves when Scott went right for the bullhorn when the band came back out.

Afterwards, Robert brought out Pierre Robert, a well-liked DJ for Philly rock station WMMR (French pronunciation:  row-BEAR), and they included him in the group hug.  Pierre looked absolutely stoked (but then again, who wouldn’t be?).

Before leaving, Scott again shook hands with people in the front row.  This time, I saw him leaning over and looking intently into their faces, as if he were trying very hard to hear what they were saying.  I could hear him replying:  “Thank you very much.”

Bottom line:  Shaky start for Scott, but he pulled it off.  Another solid performance that left me wanting more.

I am
Trampled under sole of another man's shoes
Guess I walked too softly.--S. Weiland

laura

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Too Cool Queenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2011, 11:51:19 PM »
Also, it was very nice to have met you Laura and sit with you for the show and share the STP experience with someone else who enjoys them as much as me too! I hope I didn't annoy you with my dancing at all, haha. Did you get back to FL yet? I definitely decided to buy tickets for the Atlantic City show in August. Still up in the air about the Bethlehem, PA show. But I hope you can make it back for one of them and we can hang out again at the show!
Hey shapy!  Looks like we were typing at the same time.  I just got home, too.  It was great meeting you last night--I had a blast!  Did you get your tickets for AC yet?  I think I'm going.  And like you said, if I fly up for one show, why not go to two?  So I'm thinking about Bethlehem as well.  Let me know what you decide.  I'd love to hang out again.
I am

cosmicpilot

• Flowery Bad Girl
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2011, 12:01:16 AM »
http://youtu.be/G9sRNwp7mac
Looks like a signet ring to me Laura
"Robert DeLeo is right there with him in the pocket, accenting the groove with his thick baselines (while exuding a stage presence midway between CIA agent, Mafia hit man, Latin gigolo and dance instructor, thanks to his slicked-back hair, ever-present shades and fluid moves)"
Darryl Sterdan - The winnipeg Sun

laura

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Too Cool Queenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2011, 12:14:39 AM »
http://youtu.be/G9sRNwp7mac
Looks like a signet ring to me Laura
Haha...I hope so!
I am

cosmicpilot

• Flowery Bad Girl
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2011, 12:31:57 AM »
I bloomin' hope so as well! I almost had a heart attack!  I'm still feeling a bit faintish now - in fact I'll go to the door for air!
"Robert DeLeo is right there with him in the pocket, accenting the groove with his thick baselines (while exuding a stage presence midway between CIA agent, Mafia hit man, Latin gigolo and dance instructor, thanks to his slicked-back hair, ever-present shades and fluid moves)"
Darryl Sterdan - The winnipeg Sun

shapy

• nice to know me
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2011, 01:54:15 AM »
Hey shapy!  Looks like we were typing at the same time.  I just got home, too.  It was great meeting you last night--I had a blast!  Did you get your tickets for AC yet?  I think I'm going.  And like you said, if I fly up for one show, why not go to two?  So I'm thinking about Bethlehem as well.  Let me know what you decide.  I'd love to hang out again.

Tickets go on sale tomorrow. I'm not sure I'll purchase them til Tuesday when I actually have money in my account to spend. Yeah, I might as well go to the Bethlehem show as well. Those people next to us said that it's an absolute blast. So, cool... glad you made it home ok. Were your ears still ringing this morning? haha... I'll let ya know as soon I pick some tix up. Hopefully you can too! Love spending STP shows with others who share the same passion!

DrGONZOakaRaoulDuke

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2011, 03:05:10 AM »
Yes! Laura & Shapy it was great meeting you both too.
Getting the tickets was all luck. See my quick review below...
... for me, the setlist was not the problem with this show. The problem with this show was Mr. Weiland, who was clearly impaired.  It made me sad. The band was late getting on.  From my seat, I could see Dean and Robert standing at the side of the stage.  Which could only mean one thing.  Yup—Kretz strikes again. But seriously, it was sometime after 9:30, and the crowd was getting a bit restless, when Eric and Robert finally strode across the stage smiling and waving.  A few seconds later, we were treated to the sight of Dean guiding Scott out to center stage, with his arm around his shoulder as if to steady him, while speaking directly into his ear.  I can only imagine what Dean was saying:  “You can do this!”  Perhaps Dean’s language was less subtle:  “Get your wasted ass out there before I fucking kill you.” It was bad.  Scott was wobbly, and when he spoke, he slurred.  But somehow, his singing was fine.  He is definitely no Elvis!  His dancing was OK, too, although it lacked the energy I felt at other recent shows.  Overall, he was very detached and into himself.  He didn’t interact with the crowd much, although he did shake hands several times with people in the front row. 
I have to disagree with you about this... This is the 29th time i've seen STP live, and in my opinion Scott was on fire.  He sounded vocally amazing. He interacted more with the first row tonight, than I've seen  in years. He was giving people high fives and was interacting with Rob and Dean alot.   His banter between songs was coherent, for scott, and really not slurred. He was also pretty activing and moving alot. The only song that I felt had any hiccups was Huckleberry Crumble. He seemed to have forgotten some of the lyrics to it and he was clearly looking at the lyrics on the prompter but was reading it slightly slower than the music.  That was the only issue I thought he has.
All in all, I thought the band sounded great, the jams were great and they put on an awesome show.
I've got  to run, but I'll post more vids and pics later.