July 08, 2024, 07:08:14 PM

Author Topic: 2011-05-07 - Rochester, NY - Rochester Main Street Armory  (Read 8264 times)

Aylin

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Whadayawannano?
    • View Profile
Re: 2011-05-07 - Rochester, NY - Rochester Main Street Armory
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 01:17:10 PM »
first of all i love your name!!! lol

but damn that does not sound pleasant at all. i wish i had a show closer to home but right now its either this one or the baltimore one, but im nervous they are going to add a show in mass the day before or after this show. i wish they would just announce all the dates at once so i wouldn't have to worry about missing one closer to home. ill have to plan my bus schedule carefully in case i have to go from one show to another.
I agree, it's terrible when bands just slowly leak out the dates. I follow Iron Maiden all over the world (Doing 7 different countries this tour!), and it's especially rough when you've got to plan international travel; you can't book ANYTHING until you know if there's connecting shows you can hit between countries, different regional shows, etc.
I think Iron Maiden will be doing a date in Turkey this summer.  My friends the promoter but it hasn't been cofirmed yet.  If they do, I'm going to be there so come visit Turkey and I'll be your tour guide :)
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade

MrF33n3y

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 02:36:23 PM »
first of all i love your name!!! lol

but damn that does not sound pleasant at all. i wish i had a show closer to home but right now its either this one or the baltimore one, but im nervous they are going to add a show in mass the day before or after this show. i wish they would just announce all the dates at once so i wouldn't have to worry about missing one closer to home. ill have to plan my bus schedule carefully in case i have to go from one show to another.
I agree, it's terrible when bands just slowly leak out the dates. I follow Iron Maiden all over the world (Doing 7 different countries this tour!), and it's especially rough when you've got to plan international travel; you can't book ANYTHING until you know if there's connecting shows you can hit between countries, different regional shows, etc.
I think Iron Maiden will be doing a date in Turkey this summer.  My friends the promoter but it hasn't been cofirmed yet.  If they do, I'm going to be there so come visit Turkey and I'll be your tour guide :)
Yes, they'll be playing the Sonisphere in Turkey it appears. Hasn't been confirmed yet, but Turkey is listed on the tour shirts this year. I think Turkey would be a GREAT place to see Maiden, but I'll be over in the the UK about 2-3 weeks later for the UK shows, and I can't afford nearly a month in Europe. I can't complain though, I'm currently looking at a total of 16 shows in 13 months, and nearly 30,000 miles!

toysintheattic

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 10:32:31 PM »
i got my tickets!!!!!! who else got theirs???
Never Trust Them Dirty Liars

scottieslittlesoftie

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • STONED M*F* PILOTS - Tribute To The Stone Temple Pilots
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 01:54:46 AM »

[/quote]It's all GA. There's a "balcony" with about 4 rows of seats around the entire floor, but these aren't open for concerts.

As an fyi..... the venue has told me that the seats will be accessible at the STP show as GA.

scottieslittlesoftie

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • STONED M*F* PILOTS - Tribute To The Stone Temple Pilots
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 01:54:59 AM »
i got my tickets!!!!!! who else got theirs???

See you there!!

jno

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2011, 02:20:32 PM »
Last night was the fifth time I've seen STP -- second in the Rochester area.  The venue was "interesting" -- a big open room with limited seating in a balcony for those that wanted to get away from the floor.  Rose Hill Drive came on around 8 and played until 9 or so.  The acoustics really hampered their set, but they completely inoffensive.  No one I'd go out of my way to see, but not terrible either. 

STP hit the stage at 9:30 -- ripping right into Crackerman.  My friend and I were as close as we've ever been -- close to the rail on Dean's side of the stage.  Setlist was the same as it's been throughout this leg of the tour.  This show had a TON of energy, all four brought it all night long. 

Dean and Robert jammed for a bit before Still Remains and Sex Type Thing and Scott talked between songs much more frequently than he has the last few times I've seen them.  At one point he took one of Dean's guitar picks and was scratching it along the microphone between songs -- saying that he need to "get a little rhythm going" before he sent it off to the crowd. 

Another highlight was Scott telling the story of how Plush was written in part at a surf shop in San Diego where he and Robert used to get meet up, get lunch and write.  Robert turned and gave Scott a big smile as he told the story.  Very cool moment.  Scott also referred to Dancing Days as a song that's become a bit of an STP signature tune. 

This show was the last on this leg of the tour, so their tour managers joined them on stage for their bows.  Robert took the mic and mentioned them by name, saying they're the ones that make these shows come together the way they do. 

Eric even got a bit of a solo moment -- at the end of one of the songs in the latter part of the show, I think it was Down, but could be wrong -- Dean turned to him and held up ten fingers -- Eric then proceed to lay into the drums ten times, with all of the others turned and facing him and counting down. 

Just a fantastic night all around -- their next show can't come soon enough.

MrF33n3y

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2011, 02:58:44 PM »
Last night was my fourth time seeing STP, and easily the best yet. As has been said, setlist was that same as this whole leg, but I was fine with that. It was awesome to finally hear them do Still Remains (My favorite STP song!), Dancing Days, Heaven & Hot Rods, and the few from the new album.

Got to the Armory about 4 PM to wait it out for a few hours to get a prime spot on the barrier. No surprise, the venue fucked up opening the doors; they decided that EVERYONE who had tickets at will call/had to buy tickets still would get in before anyone with advance tickets. Despite the bullshit, I still got my usual spot on the barrier, just right of Scott!

Opening band was shit, but I can't honestly say I've ever seen an opening band for STP that I've enjoyed. STP hit the stage at 9:30, and we were on our way with Crackerman. Having seen them open with Big Empty and Silvergun Superman the previous 3 shows (Both of which I thought were great openers!), I can really say I believe that Crackerman is the best opening song, for any band, ever. I instantly noticed, the tempos had dropped substantially on most songs. And while I thought the slower tempos worked for a vast majority of the set, Crackerman and Trippin' REALLY seemed to drag.

As for the band themselves; they just sound better and better every time. They seemed to be having a lot more fun than in years past (As has been mentioned; the Down hits at the end of the song, Scott asking for a pic for his mic, etc.). Scott looks an sounds incredible right now. It's nice to see he's gained a healthy amount of weight since '09. I really have no problem with dropping some songs down a key, because he nailed everything last night.

Managed to get a setlist last night, which was cool because I'm a big setlist collector, and STP was the last band I see fairly often that I hadn't managed to get one from! ;D

pjstp

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2011, 04:13:48 PM »
Thanks for the reviews! Sounds like a great way to end this leg of the tour. Now they need to come back south!
STP: 2/19/2011 - Thackerville, OK; 4/30/2011 - Birmingham, AL; 8/16/2011 - Austin, TX; 8/17/2011 - Dallas, TX; 11/5/2011 - Concho, OK
SW: 3/27/2013 - Dallas, TX; 4/30/2014 - Dallas, TX; 5/3/2014 - Little Rock, AR; 9/20/2014 - Shreveport, LA; 11/9/2015 - Dallas, TX

toysintheattic

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 02:29:49 PM »

This was my 5th STP show and it was amazing.  Me and my boyfriend got to the venue around 9am. There was literally no place to hang out within walking distance in the area so we just decided to hang out at the venue all day. I have never been there but it was so pretty, it looked like a mix between a castle and a church.

Around 3pm other people started to get into line. At about 6:15 the security people told us to form a line for people with tickets, and another line for people without tickets that needed to pick them up at will call. Usually venues let the people with the tickets in first then make the will call people wait. Well this venue didn't, they did the opposite. All of us people with tickets who had been waiting for hours were pissed. Luckily though I had friends who came up from Rhode Island and they did will call so they held us a spot on the rail. Otherwise we would have been a row or two of people back and me being only 5 feet talk wouldn't have been able to see a thing haha.

The opening band rose hill drive was pretty good. I was skeptical about them after talking to some people in line who had seen them. But they were better than I thought they were gonna be. They came on at 8 and were done at 8:45.

STP took the stage at 9:30. The setlist didn't change. The crowd was a little rowdy at times. In my area the crowd was craziest during Still Remains, of all songs haha. The was a good amount of crowd surfing going on. And we had one huge guy behind us who just wanted to fight with everyone. 
The band sounded excellent. I definitely noticed the slowed down tempos but i liked it on some of the songs. There wasn't too much talking in-between songs other than the introductions. All the guys were rocking out. Scott was moving around a lot more than I when I last saw them in September. My favorite songs of the night were Silvergun Superman, Still remains, and Down. 

The highlight of my night was during Dead and Bloated when Dean recognized me and my boyfriend in the crowd and blew us kisses. Then after they finished Trippin Dean came over to where we were standing and told the security guards to bring us upon stage. So they pulled us over the rail and we got up there and we held up our banner we made for the show and then we got hugs from them.

So overall this show was fantastic, 
and I can't wait to see them again at the end of the summer when they hit up the East Coast again. 

I took some pictures but they didn't come out the greatest because of the flash and all the smoke.  I will post them at soon as possible. I would have already, but I some how managed to take a 1000+ mile trip this weekend and lost my wallet 1 hour before I was getting picked up to go home. Luckily someone found me on Facebook and told me they found it, I have yet to find out if my money is still in there though :-\

laura

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Too Cool Queenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 02:43:41 PM »
The highlight of my night was during Dead and Bloated when Dean recognized me and my boyfriend in the crowd and blew us kisses. Then after they finished Trippin Dean came over to where we were standing and told the security guards to bring us upon stage. So they pulled us over the rail and we got up there and we held up our banner we made for the show and then we got hugs from them.
Wow.  Just wow!  If you don't mind my asking, how do you know Dean?  Sorry if that's common knowledge on this board (I'm kinda new here).

Glad you had a great time.  Hope you get your wallet back (with all of the money still in it)!  :)
I am
Trampled under sole of another man's shoes
Guess I walked too softly.--S. Weiland

toysintheattic

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 03:17:38 PM »
Ive only met him twice before this show. The first time was back in 08 after a show and then the second time was last may after a show. He has a really good memory and always recognizes me an my boyfriend in the crowd. His face was priceless when he saw us the other night, he did a double take and made a suprised face like omg you guys are here?!? Haha

And thank you. I'll lost in the stupidest way possible. I bought something in a store and my purse was full so right when I left the store I sat down at a bench to take all my stuff out and repack and i must have never put my wallet back in and left it on the bench. I didnt realize it for an hour and I went to a bunch of stores and checked trash barrels with no luck. I was so aggravated because I sat down and did that to make sure I didn't lose anything and that's exactly what I did ::) but yeah this morning that person messaged me and said she found it. She hasn't replied back yet but I'm really hoping nothing is missing

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

RailBrews

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 08:47:50 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^That is an awesome shot. I want the camera that took that photo.

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 08:58:55 PM »
Great reviews jno and McFr33n3y! Love Eric's part, I could imagine it ;)

The highlight of my night was during Dead and Bloated when Dean recognized me and my boyfriend in the crowd and blew us kisses. Then after they finished Trippin Dean came over to where we were standing and told the security guards to bring us upon stage. So they pulled us over the rail and we got up there and we held up our banner we made for the show and then we got hugs from them.

Now, YOU! told you that banner was gonna get you in troubles! :-*
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

VegasCrackerman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "so much depends on the weather"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 09:37:22 PM »
Would love to see a pic of the banner!
2016 Concerts:
6/3 Vanilla Ice