October 04, 2024, 12:31:47 AM

Author Topic: 2011-04-30 - Birmingham, AL @ Schaeffer Eye Center Crawfish Boil (Downtown)  (Read 8555 times)

chloesdad

• Pilot
    • View Profile

pjstp

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Cool! I think im gonna try to go to this one. Has anyone ever been to this festival? I've never heard of it.
STP: 2/19/2011 - Thackerville, OK; 4/30/2011 - Birmingham, AL; 8/16/2011 - Austin, TX; 8/17/2011 - Dallas, TX; 11/5/2011 - Concho, OK
SW: 3/27/2013 - Dallas, TX; 4/30/2014 - Dallas, TX; 5/3/2014 - Little Rock, AR; 9/20/2014 - Shreveport, LA; 11/9/2015 - Dallas, TX

iastormtrooper

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/iastormtrooper
Oooh no.  I'll be close, but can't make this one, got other plans Saturday night!

robrhre

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Grab the hate and drown it out
    • View Profile
They keep adding on a few dates at a time, anybody have a theory why? I would like it so much better if they just announced all at once. As of right now, it would make no sense for them not to add in at least another 15-20 shows to fill in the time gap between the already announced dates. So, I am really expecting a good amount of dates to be added down the road.
MM 3/10/09 STP 10/6/09 EC 6/19/10 SP7/16/10
STP 10/19/10 3EB 5/11/11 B182 8/12/11
Godsmack 8/16/11 Incubus 9/17/11
Foo's 11/8/11 Bush 12/2/11 JA 3/10/12 Bush 8/1/12
3DG 10/27/12 SW 11/29/12 SW 3/11/13 SW 8-20-13 Pepper 9/14/13 CTE 10/25/13 AM! 1/15/14 Weezer 4/1/14

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
They keep adding on a few dates at a time, anybody have a theory why? I would like it so much better if they just announced all at once. As of right now, it would make no sense for them not to add in at least another 15-20 shows to fill in the time gap between the already announced dates. So, I am really expecting a good amount of dates to be added down the road.
To coordinate venues, flights, promoters, prices, dates must be an exhausting task, STP management is "weird"
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
I am going to check into tickets later for this show... And after going to the Thackerville gig I have been inspired to run on stage towards the end of the gig... ill have my partner in crime "silverguns" and once we get on stage we ll split up which should split up the security guards as well and should buy us an extra ten more seconds on stage before getting raped by security

If this happens ill be sure to give eric the finger and call him a douche bag ;-)
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

pjstp

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Do ya'll think the set will be shorter like Detroit's since it's a festival or do you think they will add a song or two? It's says they are scheduled to play from 10:00 to 11:30, which is about the same length the Thackerville show I went to was, so I don't see why they wouldn't have time to play a normal show.
STP: 2/19/2011 - Thackerville, OK; 4/30/2011 - Birmingham, AL; 8/16/2011 - Austin, TX; 8/17/2011 - Dallas, TX; 11/5/2011 - Concho, OK
SW: 3/27/2013 - Dallas, TX; 4/30/2014 - Dallas, TX; 5/3/2014 - Little Rock, AR; 9/20/2014 - Shreveport, LA; 11/9/2015 - Dallas, TX

laura

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Too Cool Queenie
    • View Profile
Kind of surprised they're going ahead with this.
I am
Trampled under sole of another man's shoes
Guess I walked too softly.--S. Weiland

zjt228

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
They better do something special for this show; add a song or two or give the ticket proceeds to charity.
6/4/08 - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore (Red Wings win the Cup); 7/7/09 - Lansing, MI - Common Ground Festival; 8/19/10 - Grand Rapids, MI - Deltaplex; 8/26/10 - Detroit, MI - Fox Theatre; 4/20/11 - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore; 8/18/12 - Pontiac, MI - Silverdome

pjstp

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Flew in to birmingham today, so excited!! It's a festival so they cant donate all the money to charity but they do have donation boxes there. I have a good feeling they'l add an extra son or two for this show. I drove up to Fultondale today and saw some of the damage, it was really devastating. I wish the best for everyone effected by the storm. I will have a review for yall asap.

laura

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Too Cool Queenie
    • View Profile
"Some sort of lighting snag meant most of the large crowd watched a darkened, barely visible STP perform."

But...

"Scott Weiland is still as charismatic a frontman as there is on rock, drummer Eric Kretz still pounds a set of skins like Keith Man's American brother, and overall, Stone Temple Pilots can rock as hard as any band."

http://blog.al.com/scenesource/2011/04/how_they_sounded_stone_temple.html
I am

RailBrews

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
"Some sort of lighting snag meant most of the large crowd watched a darkened, barely visible STP perform."

But...

"Scott Weiland is still as charismatic a frontman as there is on rock, drummer Eric Kretz still pounds a set of skins like Keith Man's American brother, and overall, Stone Temple Pilots can rock as hard as any band."

Keith Man? lol. I think the writer means Keith Moon unless there is a drummer named Keith Man I never heard of...............

laura

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Too Cool Queenie
    • View Profile

But...

Keith Man? lol. I think the writer means Keith Moon unless there is a drummer named Keith Man I never heard of...............

Haha...that must be who he was talking about.  Based on the enthusiam that came through, he clearly meant it as a compliment!
I am

pjstp

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
WOW! What a night! Ok, so here's what happened.
I got there at about 5:15 and watched Cage The Elephant perform. they were really good, I need to check them out when I get home. Then came Nelly, yuck. I walked around during his set. Then Buckcherry, who were surprisingly even worse! Finally it was time to push my way to the front for stp. Let me say, the crowd was incredibly drunk, some idiot came down during Big Empty and he was just looking for a fight. It was hilarious how many people didn't even know the lyrics to plush. Ok, now the show.

They came on about 15 minutes late, and ripped right into Crackerman. Scott was VERY energetic and sounded amazing! The band was incredibly tight. I was really amazed at how strong Scott's voice was. I thought Thackerville was him at his best, but he proved me wrong tonight. Vasoline and HnH were awesome, the whole band was really into it. Hickory had a cool new jam before it. Still Remains was a standout, his voice was incredible on that one. I was surprised when they skipped Dancing Days, but oh well. Huckleberry was a surprising standout. Scott was moving all over, I dont think he's been this energetic in a while. They came out for the encore and did a cool jam, and that lead into an awesome rendition of Trippin', once again Scott's vocals were spot on. At the end they did their bows and Robert went up to the mic and asked the everyone say a prayer for those affected by the storm and then they left. All in all, it was probably the best show i've ever been to, despite the crowd.

Setlist
Crackerman
Wicked Garden
Vasoline
HnH
Between The Lines
Hickory
Still Remains
Big Empty
Silvergun
Plush
ILS
Huckleberry
Down
STT

Trippin'

I recorded the show, if I can edit it a little to sound better i'll share it, I also got some video, i'll try and post those later.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 05:11:45 PM by pjstp »

zjt228

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Great, thanks for the review and tape pjstp! If you need any assistance with the audio, just let me know!
6/4/08 - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore (Red Wings win the Cup); 7/7/09 - Lansing, MI - Common Ground Festival; 8/19/10 - Grand Rapids, MI - Deltaplex; 8/26/10 - Detroit, MI - Fox Theatre; 4/20/11 - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore; 8/18/12 - Pontiac, MI - Silverdome