September 20, 2024, 08:34:33 AM

Author Topic: 2011-05-01 - Nashville, TN @ The Fontanel  (Read 9268 times)

stewdog1

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: 2011-05-01 - Nashville, TN @ The Fontanel
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 07:17:11 PM »
I have never seen them live either.  I live about an hour and a half away in Huntsville, AL, so I'm going to try my best to get there.

in case you haven't seen, they're playing B'ham at the Crawfish Boil the night before on 04/30.

Thanks, I saw that.  It's just as far either way.  But the B'ham show doesn't start till after 10pm.  I'm not sure I'm up for that.  ;)

thefrontman55

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 11:30:07 PM »
Anybody know the support for this show?

JohnL

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Light My Way
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 12:57:59 AM »
Support is Rose Hill Drive.....Thinking about going to this. 21 shows not counting the tickets to the Tiny Music tour that was cancelled.

bigemptysg

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 08:04:47 PM »
The show is tonight. I can't wait!

bigemptysg

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 05:43:49 PM »
Well, I guess I'll be the first to give a quick review of the show last night. The Woods Ampitheater (and I use the word ampitheater loosely) is sort of like a big open field with a stage thrown in the middle of it. With rainy weather and no platform to walk on, I basically had to stand in a big mud puddle for the entire show. Not an ideal place to see a concert at all. Nonetheless, STP proved that they still can put on one hell of a rock show. The setlist was the same minue Dead & Bloated. The crowd really sucked for the first part of the show and I think that the assigned seats had a lot to do with it. Seats at a rock show is always a bad idea. Once Plush started, the crowd got in to it a lot more. The band was as tight as I've ever heard them and they didn't miss a single lick.
A couple of cool things... One person caught Kretz's drum stick that he broke. I could see the blood on the stick where he apparently had been beating the drums so hard that he busted up his hand. Also at the very end after the bows to the crowd, Weiland grabbed his 2 bowls of potato chips (looked like Pringles) and toss them out to the crowd. Scott was the last to leave the stage. Another bad ass show and hopefully STP will be still rocking out for years to come.

Silvergun Batman

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 05:47:06 PM »
I enjoyed the venue ... this was only the 2nd show for the place, so there are definitely some kinks to still work out ... but it's a beautiful setting there ...

STP rocked more than I can say here ...
I got a picture of a photograph ...

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 05:48:22 PM »
oooooh Pringles!! and from Scott's bowl! can't imagine anything closer to paradise hahaha
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

laura

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Too Cool Queenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 05:57:38 PM »
oooooh Pringles!! and from Scott's bowl! can't imagine anything closer to paradise hahaha
If you caught one, would you eat it?  ;D
I am
Trampled under sole of another man's shoes
Guess I walked too softly.--S. Weiland

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 06:26:06 PM »
I wouldn't eat a piece of heaven! I'll keep it until we could eat it together ;D
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 07:58:50 PM »
I'm so glad theyve just been kicking ass every show in 2011. Praying that they keep it going for a loonng time...
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

laura

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Too Cool Queenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 09:36:43 PM »
I wouldn't eat a piece of heaven! I'll keep it until we could eat it together ;D
Same here--I would have to find a way to preserve that Pringle forever!
I am
Trampled under sole of another man's shoes
Guess I walked too softly.--S. Weiland

stp4

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Assistant Manager Strickland Propane
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 11:51:28 PM »
I think Pringles self-preserve themselves, because of the hydrogenated oils (trans fat). The same way a McDonalds hamburger stays the exact same for decades.

LetItDye

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 04:42:03 AM »
This was my 5th time seeing STP and I have to be honest, I'd vote this the least impressive performance of the five I've seen. Not that they were off or the performance itself was bad, but the setlist has become too predictable and way too short. They came on at about 8:25 and left at 9:50. Not even an hour and a half with 6 albums to choose from? Maybe Scott's voice can't take it every night, but they usually have played 2 hours as a headliner until this tour it seems or easily 1 hr and 45 min. Scott did very little talking between numbers. They went from song to song pretty much. A couple of short jams.

Dead & Bloated was on the setlist, but wasn't played. There were some grumblings on our way out of how short the show was and I can't disagree. The limited time they were on stage though, they were good. Scott seemed to be in good spirits and even jumped off the stage after the show and greeted fans at the barricade. He then dumped his tostada chips and cubes of ham out to the fans. Heh.

I had 2nd row seats on Dean's side and recorded four songs. This was my first time at this venue (this is the first year that it has held rock concerts) and I didn't know about the security there. Not the best night to record. A heavy downpour occured just prior to the show so it made for muddy as hell conditions.

Humidity was at 100% so my camera had a hard time with the humidity and light drizzle at times. Very scenic venue though and if it doesn't rain then it's not a bad place for a show. However, there is only one road in/out. Place only seats 4,500 and it's very cramped in the seating area. Hard to get out and get a beer or go to the portajohns and get back to your seat without pissing people off and stepping on their toes.

Dean tossed out two slides during Big Empty and some lucky lady right in front of me caught one of them. My brother caught Weiland's sweat wiped towel. Some lucky fan got a signed drumhead thrown out by Eric.

All in all it was a pretty decent show given the weather conditions, but I just wished it could've had a few more songs in the setlist.

Vasoline - http://youtu.be/UYvi2EthUEU

Still Remains - http://youtu.be/8iX7xHmlYVE

Interstate Love Song - http://youtu.be/ZAnMDuAkG2c

Trippin' - http://youtu.be/5ckllP-N_sA
Alright, alright, alright, c'mon

cosmicpilot

• Flowery Bad Girl
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2011, 04:11:38 PM »
Same here--I would have to find a way to preserve that Pringle forever!

Wonder what flavour he likes 8)
"Robert DeLeo is right there with him in the pocket, accenting the groove with his thick baselines (while exuding a stage presence midway between CIA agent, Mafia hit man, Latin gigolo and dance instructor, thanks to his slicked-back hair, ever-present shades and fluid moves)"
Darryl Sterdan - The winnipeg Sun

ryutahellhound

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2011, 01:39:40 AM »
Guys no joke, I'm not sure if anyone else has heard this yet, but I swear to god they played an instrumental version of "Dirty Dog" before "Trippin'" at this show. I wasn't quite sure but it sounded really similiar, so I went and listened again and it sounded the exact same.
Favorite STP Song At The Moment- Where the River Goes